PDA

View Full Version : Lake Del Valle, Ca. 3-14-09 - Trout Action

HiTechKoke
03-17-2009, 12:30 AM
Was planning on doing a full family trip to Berryessa for Kings and Trout and even looking for the accidental early season kokanee but the weather was fairly foul at 5:00AM in the Bay area so after looking at the forecast I diverted to Del Valle with daughter Rachel for the day. I barely got the boat out of the drive way as the crank on the jack broke so out comes my floor jack from the garage and I'm hooked up ready to go. The rain stopped past Dublin and none the rest of the day.

So we ended up getting on the water later due to the morning delays and didn't have any action trolling from South end to the dam.... it was 11:30 and I was getting desperate rotating lures and then the bite started happening on the BB sliver / black / white Rapala. After two fish I found another one in one size smaller and put it out too and it got strikes and a fish or two from the surface. Rachel scored a nice 3.5 lbr which I though was going to be the best for the day. It was until later when the downrigger rod at 7ft. went of and peeled out line. I grabbed it and the fight was on. 15 minutes later and some tremendous runs even near the boat several times the 7lb 13 oz fish was in the net which I think is my personal best now. We weighed it and took a few photos and let it go back to fight another day. The fish hit on a Kevorkian Apex which was one of my desperation lures since I rarely fish an Apex out of lack of confidence. Guess I may alter my beliefs now. :D

So in the end we kept 6 fish and let go 4 and lost some more along the way. The fish were in and around Heron bay. Other lures on the down rigger that caught fish at 7 feet were a shad Matrix paddle tail and my new this season UV RMT Orange Flash Serpent spoon.

Unfortunately I forgot my main camera so these pics are form the camera phone. Not many boats out as I think they were all there Saturday I heard.

1. My big one.

http://momentoffame.com/photopost/data/514/medium/Photo_031509_004.jpg

2. Rachels big one

http://momentoffame.com/photopost/data/514/medium/Photo_031509_006.jpg

Kevin

Full_Monte
03-17-2009, 12:45 AM
Son of a gun! Now you both have caught larger trout than I have in all my years of trout fishing! Sorry it didn't work out for Berryessa, but it sounds like you had a good day after all!

MackPrince
03-17-2009, 12:57 AM
Nice report HiTech and great to see you and the daughter out fishin'!

Fishon18
03-17-2009, 01:22 AM
Hitech,

Nice trout you have there. Glad to hear you had your personal best! Thanks for sharing.... thumbsup

Scott

Bduck
03-17-2009, 10:24 AM
Great pics HT. I full of envy. Still waiting for soft water here. Its getting close.

Kokanee Killer
03-17-2009, 10:49 AM
great fish ht always great to see kids fishing with dad toothumbsup

SuperD
03-17-2009, 10:51 AM
Kevin, I was there Saturday for the Sniffer mini fest and bbq. We caught a good number of fish but nothing big.

wahoohunter
03-17-2009, 01:47 PM
Nice smiles and nice fish. Congrats

HiTechKoke
03-17-2009, 09:05 PM
Kevin, I was there Saturday for the Sniffer mini fest and bbq. We caught a good number of fish but nothing big.

Yep... sounds like the sniffer fest was quite a good time. It didn't work out for me to go there Sat though.

Kevin

redmanjr1
03-17-2009, 09:54 PM
I've hooked a few decent size trout before but nothing that size. Thanks for sharing the story and great picks!

HiTechKoke
03-17-2009, 10:14 PM
Keep in mind these are planted fish and they put some big brood stock fish in the lake on a regular basis. The lake record is around 21lbs as I recall. I generally get into some nice 3-5 lbrs every Spring along with the family which is always a good warm-up before Koke season.

Fallriverguy
03-18-2009, 12:56 PM
Nice fish HTK. Those brood stock fish are fun when you can find them. Looks like a nice day on the water.

KokeDealer
03-20-2009, 12:40 PM
Nice goin' Kevin!

glad to see things picking up over there

Bearclaw
04-13-2009, 04:37 PM
I grew up in Livermore and walnut creek. Been forever since I heard the name Del Valle. Been in Utah for 20 years now. Looks like a great day with a nice bow to show for it. Thanks for sharing the report, it brought back memories.