PDA

View Full Version : Merwin Kokanee info

Woodcanoeguy
03-16-2009, 07:55 PM
Here is a website I stumbled across that has lots of info on fishing Lake Merwin. Some of the info conflicts with what I have discovered but most of it is really good.
I cannot determine if this guide is still in business however.

http://www.ptpgs.com/Articles/Kokanee/KokaneeFishingMerwinReservoir/tabid/127/Default.aspx

Kokanee Kid
03-19-2009, 03:36 PM
Great info, thank's a bunch thumbsup

twisted lines
03-19-2009, 05:43 PM
Great info, thank's a bunch thumbsup

Yes it was thanks again!!!!!!

Fallriverguy
03-20-2009, 11:45 AM
Interesting read. It looks I have a few new lures to try. I use to do well at Green Peter with a rainbow patten SuperDuper.

Kokonuts
03-20-2009, 09:33 PM
Thats a lot of info. The places that he is talking about are some of my favorites, I guess my secret is out! laugh hyst

Lake Merwin is a great place for Kokanee! thumbsup

SilverBullets
03-20-2009, 11:39 PM
Thanks for the link Woodcanoeguy! That's some real good info there! I read years ago about that hot-shot lure for koks, and have been carrying a few in the boat for at least 5 years without trying it. Maybe this will be the year!thumbsup

Kokonuts
03-23-2009, 01:33 PM
I was up at the lake Sat & Sun just to check things. It was still cold & raining off & on, but most all the snow is gone!
The lake water lever is back to normal, temp in the low 40's
and some logs in the water. I didnt see any boats on the water.The water is VERY GREEN and visiabaility(?) is low.

I am planning on taking the boat up next weekend for the season so I will have a better report then.

KOKONUTS......thumbsup

MackPrince
03-23-2009, 05:11 PM
Let us know what you find out. I'd guess the fish will be up high.

Kokonuts
03-29-2009, 06:54 PM
I got the boat up to Lake Merwin thur. afternoon, finished up a few things I was working on Fri. morning and hit the water about noon. I found that I had broken the sonar eye for the F.F. on the back of the boat sometime since last year. Major Bummer! crymeariver
Just as I was leaving 2 guys came in with 1 kokanee for about 5 hours fishing. It was raining off & on all morning and they didnt have much to say just wanted to get in and get dry!
Soooo I headed out mostly to run the boat for the first time this year. Since I was "blind" I dont know what the water temp was except COLD! There was a couple of boats on the water but the people I talked to said they didnt have anything.
The Lake was very flat, very little debris in the water but Very Green!
I put brite pink wedding rings in the water and couldnt even see them 2ft. below the surface by the side of the boat.

So no fish but the boat ran great!

thumbsup Kokonuts

P.S. It was SNOWING by 9:00 Sat. Morning!

*Rip'n Lip*
04-07-2009, 05:01 PM
What's up everyone? I just recently registered to this site yet i have been watching all of your comments for the past two months. I have the Kokanee fever yet i have never caught one. I am a huge trout lake fisherman and have recently decided that i would become a Kokanee fisherman as I need a new challenge. I have puchased all new gear specifically for Kokanee (we wont tell the wife). i have been up to Merwin 3 times so far as it is only a 30 minute drive for me. I have had no success as of yet but i have been able to locate the schools.

The water temp on my last trip was 42 degrees. That was on March 31st. The water is very very green. I will keep making trips up there as this is my new focus i just need to start catching a few. There were 3 other boats out there and no one else had caught anything. Ill keep you all posted as to my success (or lack of success). Please do the same.

*Rip'n Lip*

Kokonuts
04-12-2009, 10:49 AM
I was back up to the lake & fished Sat. morning but still No Fish. The weather wasnt to bad a little rain at times and about 4-5 boats out . Some people said they had a few fish. Not much else to say , I am still having trouble with the F.F. so I was blind.

I hope top see some of you a Suttle Lake next weekend at the Kokanee Class!

thumbsup.......................Kokonuts

Birds Nest
04-16-2009, 01:08 AM
Whats all that about? If you have a link or any additional information I would appreciate it, Thanks Kokonuts
And yes the 28th was very cold up on Merwin !

Monday sounds like a better day to fish

Kokonuts
04-17-2009, 10:51 AM
Whats all that about? If you have a link or any additional information I would appreciate it, Thanks Kokonuts
And yes the 28th was very cold up on Merwin !

Monday sounds like a better day to fish

Not sure what info you need.
The class in Sisters is this weekend, Fri. & Sat at Suttle Lake in Sisters. I am going to the class Fri. Nite & will fish the Lake on Sat. There is some info about it on this site.

I fish Lake Merwin a lot so I try to give a small report on whats happening there. I will go back up next weekend. I hope the weather starts to warm up! Do you fish there often?

thumbsup.............Kokonuts

sweetpea
05-08-2009, 07:47 PM
well went out to merwin again today. had 2 buddies in the boat and we all had our limits by 1:00. got out on the lake at 8:00. good day and hit most of the fish in the 30 to 60 ft water depth with the fish hanging around 7 to 20 ft deep. mostly with a ford fender and a wedding ring or an apex lure.

Kokonuts
05-09-2009, 01:47 AM
I was out about 7:00 & picked up 4 in the first hour!
And then nothing, the bite stopped dead.
I was trolling on the south side across from the launch ramp.
I got them all on an Orange Apex with corn, didnt have time to try anything else! After that I tried everything in the tackle box...ZIP!....0.....Nothing. I left about 12 to go back to Portland for a family dinner but I am going back up early Sat. morning...Kokonuts.......thumbsup

SilverBullets
05-09-2009, 10:53 AM
I was out about 7:00 & picked up 4 in the first hour!
And then nothing, the bite stopped dead.
I was trolling on the south side across from the launch ramp.
I got them all on an Orange Apex with corn, didnt have time to try anything else! After that I tried everything in the tackle box...ZIP!....0.....Nothing. I left about 12 to go back to Portland for a family dinner but I am going back up early Sat. morning...Kokonuts.......thumbsup

Way to go Kokonuts!! Great to hear the action is starting to pick up. I sometimes have that same problem with the apex's and don't get a chance to try other things. Kinda hard to justify changing out lures when the one ya got on is putting fish in the boat! Couple questions...what depth worked best, and how big are they running?

redmanjr1
05-10-2009, 02:07 AM
Anyone else having problems with the link? I keep getting an error when I click on it.

Bob

sweetpea
05-10-2009, 02:34 AM
i can't get the link up either. don't know. maybe it got shut down.

Birds Nest
05-10-2009, 03:49 AM
The fish are biting now for sure it would be better if they stayed on the hook we had 5 for about 20 Saturday and it culdnt have been a better day thankfully the fish where holding across speai bay blow LMCH it seemed the closer in to shore the better we did, we marked fish constantly between 35-65 feet and probly fished and caught ours 30 feet deep pink wedding ring and the silver ford flasher outfished the brass hands down, weight was a 2 oz We fished from 7:30 to 1 its was a great day but a day for sun block

Kokonuts
05-12-2009, 02:58 PM
Silver Bullets ....The fish were near the top, I set the ball & Flasher at 20ft & the realease a couple of Ft. above that.

By the way I was using my HOMEMADE laugh hyst flashers. I came up with another combination using some chrome & copper blades (4") with large orange spin & glows. I set the blades about 2" above the S&Gs with a few beads. This one is about 3 ft long for the ball, then I made a smaller one with 2 blades & 2 S&Gs instead of a dodger. This really gives a LOT OF FLASH!
It worked so well that I am going to make up some more in different colors. tooexcited
Fish were 13/ 14" & in good shape.
Kokonuts

chuck83
05-13-2009, 05:29 PM
I finally caught the first one for the year. Got blown off twice the third time is a charm. It looked everyone was catching fish. People said 30-50 feet, I couldnt tell my depth finder got so wet it quit working.

Kokonuts
05-14-2009, 09:44 AM
Way To go Chuck!!.....It must bhave been a tough one with the RAIN! worthy12

We need more details , what were you using, where at, how big, what time ????

thumbsup....Kokonuts

chuck83
05-14-2009, 10:20 AM
I was using a 4/0 silver dodger and a red weeding ring with corn on it. No weight with 50 pulls.