PDA

View Full Version : Sportsman's Warehouse closing stores

MackPrince
03-14-2009, 07:37 PM
Ouch, bad news for the sporting goods industry. Joe's announced Chapter 11 this month as well. See the link about the restructuring and closing of Sportsman's Warehouse. On some other forums it sounded like some stores were not accepting gift cards so if you have some left over from the holidays I'd make a trek to the store while you still can.

http://www.kitsapsun.com/news/2009/mar/13/canadian-company-buys-sportsmans-warehouse-in/
crymeariverviolincrymeariver

Full_Monte
03-15-2009, 12:47 AM
I was at the Reno store last week and was surprised that they didn't have a couple items I was after. I wonder if they stopped re-ordering...

Bduck
03-15-2009, 08:23 AM
From what I saw on the news, none of the Utah stores are effected. I noticed our store here in Ogden has alot more stock on there shelves.

redmanjr1
03-15-2009, 02:23 PM
I was at the store in Meridian and the guy in the fishing section said if they didn't have certain items now it would be a long while before it would show up. They are not restocking a lot of items at this time. At the time I was in the store I was unaware that any stores were closing. Does anyone have access to a list that shows which ones are closing? I hope none near me.

Bob

wahoohunter
03-15-2009, 03:16 PM
Does anyone have access to a list that shows which ones are closing? I hope none near me.
Bob
I found this:
"Calgary, March 11 — UFA Co-operative Limited has successfully acquired 15 Sportsman’s Warehouse locations across the US Northwest..........
......The locations are:
* Bend, OR
* Bozeman, MT
* Burlington, WA
* Coeur d’Alene, ID
* Fargo, ND
* Federal Way, WA
* Helena, MT
* Kennewick, WA
* Lacey, WA
* Missoula, MT
* Portland, OR
* Salem, OR
* Silverdale, WA
* Spokane, WA
* Vancouver, WA"
The way I read the article, it looks like the rest will be closing.
Too bad, as one had just opened up fairly close to me a couple of months ago and the rumor was it would be closing. Now I know why.

redmanjr1
03-15-2009, 04:40 PM
I found this:
"Calgary, March 11 — UFA Co-operative Limited has successfully acquired 15 Sportsman’s Warehouse locations across the US Northwest..........
......The locations are:
* Bend, OR
* Bozeman, MT
* Burlington, WA
* Coeur d’Alene, ID
* Fargo, ND
* Federal Way, WA
* Helena, MT
* Kennewick, WA
* Lacey, WA
* Missoula, MT
* Portland, OR
* Salem, OR
* Silverdale, WA
* Spokane, WA
* Vancouver, WA"
The way I read the article, it looks like the rest will be closing.
Too bad, as one had just opened up fairly close to me a couple of months ago and the rumor was it would be closing. Now I know why.

Thanks wahoohunter. Looks like my Meridian store might be safe (for now) but sorry to see the Spokane store closing. I was hoping they would be my future employer but may have to go to plan B (whatever that will be). Looks like the Cabela's will have the monopoly up north if something doesn't change.

Bob

wahoohunter
03-16-2009, 01:00 AM
Sorry, I think I might have not made clear what I read and wrote.
The list is of stores that were acquired and will continue to have to doors open. That includes Spokane.
I'm afraid it looks like Meridian didn't make the list-sorry.
Someone please correct me if I made a mistake.
Here's the link I got the info from.
http://www.ufa.com/inthenews/archive/sportsmanWarehouseUS.html

SuperD
03-16-2009, 10:55 AM
You guys are getting cross information. 15 stores were acquired and will reopen under a different name. Sportsman's Warehouse is trying to retain some stores to stay in business under their name while closing the remaining Sportsman's Warehouse stores. It just doesn't sound like SW knows how many they will have to close yet. The report I saw, they were still looking for investors. The UFA deal was a pure buy out.

dubob
03-16-2009, 11:16 AM
This is from the Sportsman’s Warehouse web site (http://www.sportsmanswarehouse.com/company.cfm (http://www.sportsmanswarehouse.com/company.cfm)) and shows that the 23 stores listed below are being closed. Sorry, but the Nampa (Meridian) store is one of them as well as the Boise store.

• Aurora, CO
• Coon Rapids, MN
• DePere, WI
• Henderson, NV
• Lafayette, IN
• Las Cruces, NM
• Las Vegas, NV
• Legacy, TX
• Memphis, TN
• Nampa, ID
• New Berlin, WI
• Oklahoma City, OK
• Pittsburgh, PA
• Pocatello, ID
• Roanoke, VA
• Rogers, AR
• Round Rock, TX
• St. Cloud, MN
• Sioux Falls, SD
• Southaven, MS
• Visalia, CA
• Wichita, KS
• Woodbury, MN

On top of that, there are 15 stores that were (will be) sold to UFA in Canada. Here is the list of those stores:

• Bend, OR
• Bozeman, MT
• Burlington, WA
• Coeur d’Alene, ID
• Fargo, ND
• Federal Way, WA
• Helena, MT
• Kennewick, WA
• Lacey, WA
• Missoula, MT
• Portland, OR
• Salem, OR
• Silverdale, WA
• Spokane, WA
• Vancouver, WA

wahoohunter
03-16-2009, 12:09 PM
Thanks, dubob

Fallriverguy
03-17-2009, 01:34 PM
I just found out that the stores bought by UFA are not longer accepting any coupons or gift cards issued by Sportsman's. It looks like I sat on my gift card too long. crymeariver

Edit: I just called Sportman's and you can redeem a gift card by calling one of the remaining stores.

SuperD
03-23-2009, 06:26 PM
MIDVALE, Utah — Midvale-based national outdoor retailer Sportsman's Warehouse has filed for Chapter 11 bankruptcy protection.

The company filed for the protections in a Delaware court on Saturday.

Already 23 locations are shutting down, putting 1,700 employees out of work.

The company started construction on store in Carson City last year.

Sportsman's Warehouse Chairman and CEO Stuart Utgaard said the company hasn't decided what it will do with the Carson City store.

The future of the Carson City store is only one of many important issues the company is looking at now, he said.

"That's where we're at," he said.

It was announced in November that Calgary, Canada-based UFA Co-operative Ltd. was seeking to purchase a controlling interest in Sportsman's Warehouse.

But Utgaard told the Associated Press on Sunday that the deal fell through, with UFA choosing to buy 15 stores and not taking a majority position in the privately held company.

Utgaard said that put Sportsman's Warehouse in a precarious financial situation.

Full_Monte
03-23-2009, 08:59 PM
Nice store, but what kind of a chain these days does business without a decent website? Theirs is atrocious. You can't even shop online. So, when's the big sale?