PDA

View Full Version : What percentage of your catch is NOT Kokanee

Full_Monte
03-14-2009, 01:28 PM
Sometimes we catch fish that we aren't targeting. What percentage of your catch is trout and other fish? Do you change your technique when your "bycatch" numbers get too high?

redmanjr1
03-14-2009, 02:42 PM
That's a good question and something I never put any thought into until now. As far back as I can remember (and my memory isn't what it used to be) I haven't caught much of anything while fishing for kokes other than kokes. Either I'm catching kokes or I'm catching nothing. I really can remember only once catching a rainbow while fishing for kokes in Dworshak (Idaho). Saying that I'll probably be the only freak of nature on that subject. It will be interesting to here on this from others.

Bob

SilverBullets
03-14-2009, 05:42 PM
Over the years where I fish we've released a few browns. Most of the time they've been smaller while fishing early season up high. A couple years ago I got 5lb. brown while trolling for koks mid season with ball trolls and a short set back. I've read reports of mackinaw being caught while jigging for koks in other lakes.

Bduck
03-14-2009, 08:52 PM
When ever I go for Kokes, seems like I tend to catch at least 1 trout. The last couple of times I've been out was at a non koke lakes and nailed some bows and tiger trout.

twisted lines
03-15-2009, 12:14 PM
I generally will except all takers, I don't keep many fish other then saminoids, but I would rather have 1 release then a skunk! Last years maiden voyage for my downrigger's on the little Gregor I was 1 in 20, Thats 20 little Mack's and one Koke, on wedding rings and tubes. On the average I get about 1 trout, for every 7 -10 koks!

Kokanee Killer
03-15-2009, 08:46 PM
bycatch is good especially when it it is more often than not rainbows or browns or even the occasional brook troutthumbsup

KOKANEE
03-15-2009, 09:33 PM
This is a very good question. We fish the Gorge and I would say I mostly catch koke's when fishing for koke's. Probabaly 1-2 percent are non koke species when targeting koke.

Kokanee Kid
03-16-2009, 11:12 AM
I'd say out of 25 fish 1 is a trout for us up here.

Old School
03-16-2009, 05:38 PM
In Ca it depends on the lake, but there are usually bows in the mix. Another common fish are king salmon which can be larger than kokes and great fighters. Slightly less tasty in my opinion. Macs can also be in the mix depending on the lake. Also caught in some lakes are small mouth bass and catfish. Yes catfish. Imagion hooking up with a 12 lb cat on a UL koke rod. It happens. Percentage wise when koke fishing 5-50% non kokes depending on day and lake.

RC McKokanee
03-16-2009, 07:06 PM
i first started fishing for kokes on stampede res. near truckee calif in the mid 80's. i used to catch alot of trout in this lake before i started targeting kokes. i still caught some trout, but it was not many years into koke fishing that soon i caught only kokes . now i fish whiskeytown res. near redding and when i fish for kokes i catch almost all kokes , but once in awhile i get a king. i have not caught a trout in this lake for three years now. if i want trout i can go to shasta or lake almanor.

HiTechKoke
03-16-2009, 11:12 PM
A lot of it can be relevant to how deep you are fishing. The trout will often times be above the Kokes and then the Kings / Macs underneath them as a general rule. So if we start catching a lot of trout we'll drop another 5 feet to see if we get into the "Koke" zone. On my Lowrance you can always see the trout versus the Kokes by their return, trout having a symmetrical arc and kokes mush thinner and flatter. Having real time water temp data this last year helped me understand more about kokanee feeding zones and also how warm of water they will go into for food.

Then you have the occasional catfish and bass are always a surprise but getting a 9lb cat on kokanee gear can be a lot of work! If the fishing is slow and the kids need some action then being in the by-catch (trout) zone can be just as fun too.