PDA

View Full Version : Bleeding / Cleaning Kokanee

Kokonuts
03-10-2009, 07:05 PM
I've been hearing a lot lately about bleeding your fish as soon as possible. I've never actually done that, just cleaned them.
Sooo I am wondering if any of you can share some of your tips on cleaning Kokanee? thumbsup.....Kokonuts

HiTechKoke
03-10-2009, 09:55 PM
I prefer to gut rather than bleed as well. Just a slit from anus to short of the pectorals. Rip out the guts and thumb or spoon the blood vein and then rinse off and in a bag with no ice but put on ice. I leave the gills in tact since I'm going to fillet them anyway when I get home.

O.. and I forgot... check to see if the fish have been eating and what, plankton or small copepods/ shrimp like creatures and then note the maturity of the eggs to guess on spawn date or how close they are to spawning late in the season.

The kids have started cleaning the fish now and asking biology questions so I can't complain.

Kevin

Kokanee Killer
03-10-2009, 10:27 PM
when i get one it goes right into a cooler packed with ice and a couple inches of water i gut it as soon as i get home,just a slit fror but hole to gills ,,wich also come out my key is keep kokes COLD when they discolor wich they do when not iced asap they deteriorate faaast .