PDA

View Full Version : Boat Safety Item

SuperD
03-10-2009, 04:16 PM
This last Fall I had a near sinking experience due to a failed livewell pump that had burned up and allowed water to pour into the boat. For those of you with livewell pumps or washdown pumps, this will apply.

Here is a picture of the melted pump motor
http://img373.imageshack.us/img373/121/pump1kr7.jpg

The through hull fitting is plastic pipe and didn't come with a shut off valve. Once the water started gushing in, there was no way for me to stop it. If you guys check your boats, it would be a good idea to have a shut off valve between the hull and the pump.

Kokonuts
03-10-2009, 06:46 PM
SuperD, Thanks for the tip, it could really save a lot of problems!
I am in the process of the Spring Tune up so this is perfect timing! thumbsup

I gotta say it again, Thats what I love about this site , a good bunch of guys passing around good info! worthy12

Kokonuts

twisted lines
03-10-2009, 10:04 PM
Hope your bulk head fitting that penetrates the hull isn't plastic as well! A lot of guys on the salt water have fittings welded in, not so easy to beach it there!!!!!!!

Fishbucket
03-11-2009, 03:34 PM
I'm looking for a couple tapered rubber plugs that will fit the thruhull fitting on my livewell pump. If it goes south while on board, I'll jump/reach into the water and stuff it. Least then it's just me wet instead of the entire boat.
I think it's a plan anyway... thumbsup

SuperD
03-11-2009, 03:53 PM
I'm looking for a couple tapered rubber plugs that will fit the thruhull fitting on my livewell pump. If it goes south while on board, I'll jump/reach into the water and stuff it. Least then it's just me wet instead of the entire boat.
I think it's a plan anyway... thumbsup

If that's your plan and you are sticking to it, the threaded piece coming out the back is 3/4" MIP thread. A threaded 3/4" PVC pipe cap will do what you are trying to do with the plug.

Fishbucket
03-11-2009, 04:06 PM
I've thought about that... But what usually happens when your trying to stop a leak and have to get the threads to not cross..tooexcited

Just have to poke it in the hole with a quick quarter turn with the other hairbrained id'er.... or so it seems

MMDON
07-03-2009, 07:18 PM
I put a shut off valve on mine. It's better to be safe then all wet.