PDA

View Full Version : Eagle Lake Trout -- California

Bduck
03-08-2009, 11:50 PM
When I use to live in Sacramento, I would make a couple of trips up to Susanville each year to go to Eagle Lake. Always loved that area and catching Eagle Lake Trout. My favorite time of year was in the middle of December before the lake closed. The trout seemed to be very active that time of year. I also noticed over the years that Cal has planted Eagle Lake Trout in some of the other reservoirs. But the only one that comes to mind now is Rollins Lake. Is Cal still planting this strain in other lakes? I remember these getting into 4-6 lb average range and larger. How many of you have gone after the Eagle Lake Trout? When I left Cal, Eagle Lake was becoming to commercial and it became a favorite for crowds.

SuperD
03-09-2009, 10:34 AM
vvbob and I both love hitting Eagle Lake when we can. Water level has been a real concern the last couple years. And the fish have progressively gotten smaller due to all the pressure. But still the best tasting trout I've ever eaten, with meat as red as a Koke.

SuperD
03-11-2009, 12:23 PM
Bduck, found a picture of some of last year's catch filleted.

http://img187.imageshack.us/img187/9797/fish2bg2.jpg

Bduck
03-14-2009, 07:19 AM
Fantastic slabs. I would like to hit up Eagle Lake again. I don't know if those trout would survive in waters outside of Cal. it being an alkaline lake. Glad to see someone else knows the territory.

HiTechKoke
03-14-2009, 11:49 AM
Berryessa has some Eagle Lake Trout through its plants as well as Indian Valley so they definitely survive outside the lake. I can't speak to the exact plants and when they use Eagle and when they don't but they go through an extensive collection and then rearing program in the hatchery to help supply eggs back to Eagle and to other lakes. The collection is a big volunteer effort as well in one of the feeder streams when the snow melt decides to feed the stream everyone gets together to collect and frankly save the fish as the feeder stream can dry up after the melt and the eggs would die. Project Kokanee does a lot of work up there at Eagle Lake. I haven't made it up to that lake yet but one of these days I will.

Kevin