PDA

View Full Version : List of California Koke lakes

Full_Monte
03-08-2009, 12:40 PM
On the California screen, it shows quite a few lakes that have kokanee. Is this an exhaustive list of all the kokanee lakes? I notice Pardee is not on the list. Are there a lot more lakes that are missing from the list?

Petty4life
03-08-2009, 05:34 PM
On the California screen, it shows quite a few lakes that have kokanee. Is this an exhaustive list of all the kokanee lakes? I notice Pardee is not on the list. Are there a lot more lakes that are missing from the list?

if some are missing please let me know and ill update the listthumbsup

SuperD
03-08-2009, 10:55 PM
Folsom can come off. Bizillion planted but never a one caught.

DC18FT
03-09-2009, 12:10 AM
I'm not giving up on Folsom until the end of this koke season. worthy12worthy12 It would be so cool to have kokes 10 minutes from the house!!!! C'mon fish gods!!!!!!

Bryon

Fishon18
03-09-2009, 01:17 AM
Pine Flat could probably be removed as well.

Scott

HiTechKoke
03-09-2009, 10:40 AM
I should probably do a double check again as missing Pardee was an error on my part since I helped create the list, based on the plant figures from DFG available on both Kokanee Power and Project Kokanee sites.

Definitely add Pardee.

Pine Flats should be retained as it was planted in 2008

As for Folsom it definitely needs to be left as well as plants were put in and it has a few more years till complete maturity and no fish being caught. Never give up as the same has been said for Del Valle and I managed a couple of nice fish out of there several years ago and have my photos to prove it. :-)

SuperD
03-09-2009, 10:55 AM
I should probably do a double check again as missing Pardee was an error on my part since I helped create the list, based on the plant figures from DFG available on both Kokanee Power and Project Kokanee sites.

Definitely add Pardee.

Pine Flats should be retained as it was planted in 2008

As for Folsom it definitely needs to be left as well as plants were put in and it has a few more years till complete maturity and no fish being caught. Never give up as the same has been said for Del Valle and I managed a couple of nice fish out of there several years ago and have my photos to prove it. :-)

I say the lake doesn't belong on the list until someone has caught one there or someone has a reasonable chance of going there and catching one. Plant lists in year one mean nothing from a fishing point of view.

HiTechKoke
03-09-2009, 11:48 AM
Folsom has a better shot than most of catching a Kokanee given the sheer numbers that have been planted. It has been a mystery as to why they have not taken and the word is that the DFG will likely be abandoning plants there based upon no proof yet any did survive.

As for Pine Flat what you would be fishing for this year is a 2nd year fish which is reasonable and what is what a lot of people were catching at Melones last year. Most people don't realize that when reading the plant numbers you should look one year beyond what you might think. So for this year if you want to catch the normal 3 year maturing fish then the 2007 plant numbers should be used. The reason for this is the fish are already considered one year old when planted since they gathered the fall before, hatch around December and their growth is accelerated being in the hatchery environment prior to plant in the spring.

As for Pine Plant Kokanee, I can't speculate whether they will survive but the more people that know about them the better as the DFG loves to get information back on fish caught at new lakes to validate whether they should continue in the future. Folsom had a history years back of having Kokanee so that wasn't as much as an experiment but instead a mystery as to what happened to all of them.

Hopefully that sheds some more light on the plant numbers.

Kevin

SuperD
03-09-2009, 12:03 PM
Another lake on the list, Indian Valley Res., is/wasn't even open last year because it didn't have any water in it. I guess it just raises the question what the intention of our list is, to tell someone where they can hook up the boat and go catch Kokanee or copy a list of where they've been planted sometime over the years?

Fishon18
03-09-2009, 01:27 PM
HTK,

Interesting information regarding Pine Flat. I'm like Superdave, I don't believe it until I see it. I really hope they catch kokanee there because it would be nice to have "another" destination to go to. I guess we can hope for the best! Thanks for sharing....

Scott

Petty4life
03-09-2009, 07:17 PM
you guys decide what stays what goes and what needs to be added and then hitechkoke make me a list and ill make the necessary changesthumbsup

Old School
03-09-2009, 07:18 PM
and what is what a lot of people were catching at Melones last year.
Kevin

HiTech,

So you think we should expect a lot of big fish out of Melones this year?

In theory anyway?

I haven't been there yet, but its teasing me!

HiTechKoke
03-09-2009, 10:33 PM
HiTech,

In theory anyway?

Good question. Given the lake was very low at the end of last it all depends on how the food supply (plankton) help up for the 2 year olds and competition among the other years as well. They were a decent size last year so I think it is going to be a normal year but not as big as the ones last year. Time will tell, about another two months or less.

As for the list it was created based upon actively planted Kokanee or known self producing lakes that could have Kokanee from a 3-4 year maturity.

Indian Valley was a bad situation for sure going from premier lake to waste land in a few years. It's never been a lake to easily get in to for the novice without a bit of research but the drive used to be well worth it. DFG actively planted it though, even in 2008, and it will be interesting to see if they do it this year given Yolo County has major control over it for irrigation along with Clear Lake. For an interesting read on Yolo County Water control over IVR and Clear Lake here's an interesting link

http://www.ycfcwcd.org

It seems that there is a minimum combined pool required in the reservoirs before they can pull water and they were issuing a letter that if no rain occurs that water would not be released. The way I am reading it they have enough pool from all the rain and are doing minimal releases currently.

Kevin

Full_Monte
03-10-2009, 08:37 PM
What about Camanche? It's right next to Pardee. I heard it is very low right now. Does anybody fish there?

HiTechKoke
03-10-2009, 09:46 PM
HiTech,

In theory anyway?

Camanche has no Kokanee on purpose but gets a few spillovers from Pardee as that is what feeds it. Every year a few get caught but nothing to target. They don't want to plant there for fear they would spill out and into the Moke which could cause issues.

Camanche is a great lake for trout though.... and it is off the hook for the most part right now. Also it is not so low anymore as latest word last weekend was the North side 8 lane ramp will come back into operation within the week. Water in Camanche thanks to Pardee being fairly full. YOu should check it out some time Monte.... going up river as far as you can go is a pretty fishing run as well.

Kevin

Full_Monte
03-11-2009, 12:03 PM
My wife and I were coming back from skiing yesterday, so we swung by Pardee and Amador to take a look. The guys at Pardee said that Camanche was very low, but maybe your info is better. We didn't like the looks of Amador. It looked like it had very poor maintenance on the roads/ other infrastructure. They also charge the same prices as Pardee, so we decided Pardee was better.
Now, all I have to do is get the boat remodeled. Time to move it out to the driveway where I can work on it. thumbsup

wahoohunter
03-11-2009, 02:48 PM
My 2 cents as to leaving lakes on the list or not.
I feel all the lakes should remain on the list.
To me, that is the reason for fish reports-to help us make up our mind whether to give a particular lake a shot or not.
If I don't read anything about a particular lake, I'm gonna scratch it off my list.
Besides, what would be the criteria for taking a lake off the list?
One day with nothing caught? Hate to admit it but I've been skunked on some pretty good lakes.
Two trips, 4 fish? I've also been out when it is slow. So because I have a bad day, is it because of a lack of fish or because of my methods?
As for Pine Flat-I would be amazed if the kokes that had been planted there survived the conditions of last year. My oldest grandson could have taken a leak in there and raised the water level by 2 %. Pine Flat is usually good for trout, fair for King salmon, and very poor for kokes. I don't see this year as being any different.

SuperD
03-11-2009, 04:55 PM
wahoo, if your criteria for going is just reports, we don't even need a list. fencing

Full_Monte
03-12-2009, 10:27 AM
It might be important to remember that the list includes only lakes where the DFG plants Kokanee. Since the fish die off after a few years, it's probably not the best move to target lakes where they aren't planted. Exceptions are lakes where the Kokes can spawn naturally. There are a few of those, but the numbers of kokes are likely not as large as in the lakes where they are planted.

Stanson
03-15-2009, 03:48 PM
Lake Pardee should be added to the list it had a no fish planted the last two years so if they do not plant any this year you could say its a dead for koks. Dont take any of the rest off. Some say folsom is dead but looking at the plant for the last three years it's over 400,000 koks thats a lot of fish, there's a lot of speculation as to why they are not being caught , but i would not take it off your list gust yet, a couple more years if you look back on folsom lake plant starting in 1982 they 112,000 fish and then none for six years so the record on folsom as not been very good. but i would give it two more years if the DFG plant it this spring or early summer with another 100,000+ fish now thats a lot of fish or fish food for the browns and bass and killer kings and rainbows. folsom should be like stampede and tahoe its an ideal lake for koks, why I think its because of to many predetors feeding on them and they have not been to planted on a regular basis, the last three years have been the largested plants of any of the lakes 2008 200,000, 2007 80,000, 2006 59,000 2005 80,000 for a total of 420,000 koks so don't count out folsom lake.

You show 27 lake on the California forum list some are not doing well as others like pine flat and McClure but that's because of the low plant the last couple of years Pine Flat had a plant of 72,000 june of 2008 and McClure had a plant of only 20,000 for 2008

Now there is one Lake that you need to had to the list and thats Donner Lake on US-80 Donner pass its been a kok lake sense 1995 infact they have planted over 1,000,000 koks in that lake sense 1992 so I would say you could list that lake for sure.

otherwise your list is fine.... So add Pardee and Donner Lakes to the kok lakes. and leave the rest along

Stan

Full_Monte
03-15-2009, 04:04 PM
If you look at the list, both Donner and Pardee are on it now.

RC McKokanee
03-29-2009, 10:19 AM
i'm pretty sure cherry lake had kokes in it.