PDA

View Full Version : Shelf life of line on tied lures?

Old School
03-06-2009, 11:42 AM
On everyones purchased and self tied lures (spinners, hoochies, etc.) Generally speaking, if you haven't used it yet, how long is the line good for until you should retie with new line? Granted you do a pretty good job taking care of them and keeping them out of the sun. I also use 8 lb on all my lures.

Old School

HiTechKoke
03-06-2009, 09:28 PM
That's probably a pretty hard question to answer as a lot of it is going to be related to how much sun and heat they have been exposed to I think as well as the quality of materials. I have lures still from the manufacturer a good 3-4 years old and they seem to be fine since they were buried and out of the sun and most of the heat. I'd say give the lure setups a good tug to make sure the knots hold and the line does not break unexpectedly.

Fishon18
03-07-2009, 12:17 AM
I replace/re-tie them after each use. The ones that don't make the water are done once a year. Psychological I guess. laugh hyst

Scott

MackPrince
03-07-2009, 01:55 AM
I'm with HT. If stored with some airflow, and without extreme heat or cold the leaders and knots on new rigs should be fine for a few years. I watch for discoloration or line memory as a quick indicator for the line breaking down and a couple test tugs help prevent mishaps on the water.

Old School
03-08-2009, 11:07 AM
Thanx guys,

I agree that its case by case. I was just surveying some of my lures from last year and was wondering if I need to change out some of the line. Most are probably ok for another year, but some I will change cuz the line seems discolored or brittle.

As stated if they are used they get changed.

Old School

Ironhead
03-08-2009, 07:47 PM
This is a hard question to answer because of all the variables. I would ask myself this, is it worth losing a trophy fish over? Line and hooks are so cheap, I re-tie almost everything after one use or trip.

Ironhead