PDA

View Full Version : Stumbled onto the Silver fish site!

Piscivorous Pike
03-05-2009, 03:38 PM
Hey, found this by accident.
I make my money and am stuck in the S.W. desert here. But, my place is Kalispell, MT and I see you even have the lake my family lives on listed in MT. Fished a great deal of those lakes. Love the salmon. Did not have any of my Salmon picts on this computer for show. Later though.

My interests, Fishing, pike fishing and then there is pike fishing and in May I hit the Kokanee. Never have fished much in Koocanusa though.

Yea, I studied for my degrees in wildlife management and fishing became my avocation after growing up on a pike lake. As far as the net goes, I participate in two other forums, Tackleunderground as Piscivorous Pike, they build lures, mostly soft plastics and Candlepowerforums as Norhtern Lights. We design and build powerful portable (flashlights) LED and INCAN which I use for fishing too. thumbsup

Well, I have just about got my tackle rigged and ready fo '09. Just got a Humminbird 798 side scan. Cannot wait to use it on Bitterroot and understand those salmon hangouts a little better. I have used the matrix 47 3D for years but this full image side scan is the nuts. For now after this post, likely I will stand back and lurk for a while.
'on the water, good fishing to...
PP

PS:
My sig line has some links to some fish picts from MT.

SilverBullets
03-05-2009, 04:01 PM
Welcome aboard Piscivorous Pike!!thumbsup

Bduck
03-05-2009, 04:09 PM
Great pic's. Enjoy and WELCOME

zfk55
03-05-2009, 06:05 PM
Know where Lost Prairie is, PP?? thumbsup

Pierre

Piscivorous Pike
03-06-2009, 07:53 AM
Yep, but you are about two hours west of us. I fish Bitterroot for larger salmon, Ashley has 35 fish limits but they are usually 12 and under. You got to know the lake to get size there. Swan I rarely fish any Kokanee but I see a ton of them in the Pike guts as I prefer to fish it for pike and Bull. Now the Macs are in there the Bull story will change I bet. I will be up in May. Know any good Pike water besides the Clarke fork?

zfk55
03-06-2009, 09:30 AM
Two hours west?? I thought you were in Kalispell. Lost Prairie is 36 miles west of town. Lived there for some 35years now.

My son caught this one right at the mouth of the Flathead by Fisherman's bridge.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v87/zfk3155/LatsFish.jpg

Pierre

Piscivorous Pike
03-07-2009, 10:34 AM
Two hours west?? I thought you were in Kalispell. Lost Prairie is 36 miles west of town. Lived there for some 35years now.
I was thinking more down the lines of where you fish as being 2 hours west, Koocanusa. Actually that is just a little more, depends on how fast you are dirving towing a boat of making time.
We are up off Foothills Dr. by Creston. Boy, how sad 4-5 years ago we are on the edge of the forest opening to the farms and it was 7 miles of farms to the river. Now it is all housing developement. I wish that had never been sold for developement. I used to hunt our ten acres. I now have 4 neigbors that did not live in that 1/4 section a few years ago. People keep breaking their land holdings down and selling off. At any one time I used to see many deer, averaging 18 milling about our place all day. Now it is only four of five go through in the morning and evening. We were right on the trail to the farm land that now it is hundreds of houses! 'Sposed to be building 450-500 houses in that seven miles planned. Where did they come from? I always thought I would return home once the money was made but the crowd makes me look at areas like Lost Prarie or Eureka. I have family on the shore of Ashley, that is closer to you. Even Ashley is slated to put in hundreds of houses on the cut over land off the north shore, they made that into small housing lots.
Every May a fishing club from ID comes into Ashley for a weekend just fish Kokanee. They really put the pressure on it.
Ashley and Bitterroot used to be able to hold Kokanee from natural spawning.
Ashley has spings on the north shore and that is where they spawn. Bitterroot has been hit hard by FWP taking spawners to supplement stocking programs.
I have lost good Kokanee rigs in Bitterroot being bit off by those huge Kamloops. I now use 49 strand wire in the trolling harnesses of the different rigs to prevent that. I do well with hot pink color and echip devices in the lures.
My boat naturally runs the correct positive electrical charge and that really helps. Another story for another thread there.

zfk55
03-07-2009, 03:47 PM
Koocanusa is only 28 miles for us by going down the ACM road from the house to the McKillop hookup and then straight over to Koocanusa. Beautiful drive in the spring, but you definitley have to watch out for Moose.
These land-zoning and useage idiots are slowly but surely ruining at lot of our area. I have a feeling that the new Post Turtle and his crowd are going to be the cause of a lot more of the big ranches breaking up and selling out. Years ago I'd never heard the term "fishing rights" on a lot of our lakes.
Oh, well.

Pierre