PDA

View Full Version : What do you do for a living/retirement business?

zfk55
03-05-2009, 10:14 AM
Fishermen are typically a true crosscut of society. Conservative, liberal, industrious, fishing bum, hunters, pacifists (Fly fishermen?;) )........ So. The thing that most cuts into your fishing time is.............?

zfk55

Petty4life
03-05-2009, 10:17 AM
Diesel Mechanic for 13yrs. will look forward to retiring in 35yrs

Fallriverguy
03-05-2009, 11:22 AM
Family and work as a formulation chemist in an agriculture related field.

Bearclaw
03-05-2009, 12:29 PM
My job, hunting, snowmobiling, skiing.

Kokanee Killer
03-05-2009, 12:34 PM
work definatley,also the lousy weather we have here back east but we manage,, on the plus side my 9yr old son has become my fav fishing partner,,he even ties koke and steelhead jigs with me amongst other flies alsothumbsup

Kokehead83
03-05-2009, 12:48 PM
I run a Hardwood Flooring Distributorship out in Colorado. It keeps me busy 8-5 m-f. I'm trying to start a tackle company getting the website set up now, and will be testing some new product this season. It is hard to find the time with my 19 month old daughter running around saying dada dada dada but with the time I do have I make tackle and fish as much as I can. Also this month we are moving just purchased a new house so life is busy to say the least.

Ben

bobco
03-05-2009, 01:15 PM
I'm a telecommunications tech for a large power company in western Colorado, good job unless obama gets his way with the carbon tax, I guess he will generate electicity out his hindend in washington, I've been diagnosed with Lake Trout addiction but fish for kokes allot also, Love walleyes but colorado is a trout loving states so I have to settle for perch fishing for good eating.

Kokaholic
03-05-2009, 01:33 PM
I am a unSanitary waste disposal technician. I am well trained in my work related field. Have been doing it now for 25 years. I retired once and went back to it again.

The rest of my time takes up my family, church and fishing!

SuperD
03-05-2009, 01:35 PM
Cost estimator. I work at the University of Cal, Davis by day and have my own consulting business that I do by night and weekends. Fishing time? violin

FishHunter
03-05-2009, 02:59 PM
CPA - specialize in tax returns and business consulting. I used to love to ice fish as a kid, but don't have the time anymore for any winter activities. Good thing I'm the boss or I wouldn't be able to check this site out every couple days laugh hyst

Bduck
03-05-2009, 02:59 PM
Aircraft Mechanic/Crewchief F16 Fighters Flight Test Hill AFB Ogden, UT

river hunter
03-05-2009, 03:12 PM
i work for a company that sells fly tying materials worldwide to shops, distrubitors, wholesalers

SuperD
03-05-2009, 03:16 PM
i work for a company that sells fly tying materials worldwide to shops, distrubitors, wholesalers

Tough job but somebodies gotta do it. thumbsup

Ron G
03-05-2009, 11:28 PM
Power Lineman Trouble Shooter for an electric utility in northern Calif. Also an electrical contractor so I stay busy, sometimes too busy to fish.
The plus side is, I'm planning my retirement from my main job in less than 7 years.

zfk55
03-10-2009, 06:09 PM
Well, I do this www.stmariegraphics.com
and this. www.swissproductsllc.com
The former is now my Son's business but I go into town every day to help with artwork and layouts, and the latter is my "retirement business" My partner have a machine shop and manufacture shooting accessories for Swiss Rifles. We have two US and three European distributors.

P

redmanjr1
03-14-2009, 07:11 PM

My brother worked down there until just recently. He was also an F-16 Crew Chief in the military and as a civilian, all at Hill/Ogden.

redmanjr1
03-14-2009, 07:14 PM
Oops, forgot to add mine. I've been a jet engine mechanic for almost 27 years. Mostly on the F-15.

SuperDaveMT
06-22-2012, 06:15 PM
Mostly I fish, hunt, drink and golf. The rest of my time is justed wasted.

Actually I'm a Fed, 3 years from being eligible but many years from being able to afford retirement (2 kids in college, at least 1 wedding next summer). The youngest graduated from high school this month, so 15 years of chasing kids and cheering them on in sports is done, hopefully leaving more time for fishing.

DLM
06-22-2012, 06:15 PM
Regional Safety Manager for a trucking company covering OR, ID and CA down to Stockton.

I used to have a office in Layton, man you guys were noisy.

rebelsportsman
06-23-2012, 01:03 AM
i retired after 30years and a few months from southwestern bell telephone. i now hunt and fish every day i am not playing around. i retired when i was 50 so i can still get around to do my hunting and fishing. you can always go back to work when you get to old to play.

SeaDog
06-23-2012, 02:14 PM
Hi,

Well, retired profesional US Merchant Marine Sea Captain
Now I have my own maritime consulting firm.

Other than that
Love giving mooncalf buearucrats and politicians acid reflux disease + high blood pressure (With a BIG SMILE thumbsup).
I've gotten some to turn the most lovely shade of purple but have never been able to get it matched at the paint department at Lowe's or HomeDepot 101schater101

SeaDog

trollmonkey
06-23-2012, 11:11 PM
I've been an environmental tech since 87.Get to work outside all the time. In all sorts of weather( funny the weather isn't a problem when I'm fishing) and at landfills and sewer plants,but I get to drive through some awesomely beautiful country to get there! I've been fortunate to meet lots of folks who love to fish and have gotten back to some areas dad used to take us fishing when I was growing up.thumbsup Looking forward to taking my grandson Will fishing in the years to come.thumbsupthumbsup Will and the Duke!

kok-head
04-29-2013, 11:36 PM
Fishermen are typically a true crosscut of society. Conservative, liberal, industrious, fishing bum, hunters, pacifists (Fly fishermen?;) )........ So. The thing that most cuts into your fishing time is.............?

zfk55

i'm at work 5 days/wk for 8 hrs/day but i'm only acting like i'm working, i'm really on KFF almost the whole time reading about kokanee fishing

autorick
05-01-2013, 01:52 AM
I am in commercial construction, and seeing my retirement getting further away! After 55 hrs of work then soccer games on saturday it is then all about fishing.

Kokonuts
05-01-2013, 10:52 AM
I retired in 2011 after working 42 years in construction as a Plumber now I fish as much as I can!

Kokonuts

eenakoK
05-01-2013, 01:06 PM
I work as an IT Manager.. Work, what is that?

kokanee_slayer
05-01-2013, 07:00 PM
Oops, forgot to add mine. I've been a jet engine mechanic for almost 27 years. Mostly on the F-15.

redmanjr1, I assume you work at Mt. Home AFB. I was with the 389th Fighter Squadron as the Lead Pro Super from 1995 until my retirement in 1998. I miss Idaho, lots of good times and great people.

lowe1648mt
05-02-2013, 01:55 AM
I retired in 2010 after working for Uniflite Boats, Hawley's boats & Motors, Olympic Boat Centers, and Lake Union Searay all in Bellingham. I worked for a marina in Michigan for 7 years. Rigger/ Mechanic

kokanee_slayer
05-02-2013, 09:22 AM
I retired from my first career in 1998 after 20 years in the Air Force. I'm now 13 years into my second career as a Quality Assurance Manager; required to help fund my addiction to Kokanee Fishing. 101faceslap101

redmanjr1
05-03-2013, 02:40 AM
Kokanee_Slayer,
Congrats on your retirement and thank you for your service. Yes, I was working at MHAFB but retired last year after 30 years in the USAF. I was in CMS and knew/worked with many people in all of the different maintenance squadrons to include the 389th. What a bunch of awesome people. I don't miss the crap but sure do miss the people, especially my brother and sister maintainers. I will be starting a new career once we get moved out of here...just not sure what that will be yet.

Bduck
05-03-2013, 09:18 AM
Retired 2011 after 38yrs working for the department of defense @ Hill AFB, UT, McClellan AFB, CA., Tinker AFB, OK., & Mare Island Naval Shipyard. My career started during the Vietnam era 7yrs active duty Air Force and transitioned over to civilian life. Worked C5, C141, F4, F111, A10, A7,T39, KC135, B52H, F15, F16, F106, fast attack nuclear powered submarine.

jekern1015
05-03-2013, 10:12 AM
I am a Triple S, Stupid Stamp Seller. I have been with the Post Office for 5 years now. Before that I was a steel fabricator for 25 years.

redmanjr1
05-04-2013, 02:07 AM
Bduck,
It's been a while. Hows retired life treating you? Been fishing yet this year? Will try Anderson Ranch maybe end of this month IF weather will warm up a little by then. Right now trying to sell our house so we can get moved up to the Spokane area. Take care.
Bob

Bduck
05-04-2013, 12:35 PM
Bduck,
It's been a while. Hows retired life treating you? Been fishing yet this year? Will try Anderson Ranch maybe end of this month IF weather will warm up a little by then. Right now trying to sell our house so we can get moved up to the Spokane area. Take care.
Bob

Hey Bob

Life is HAPPY HAPPY HAPPY. stomper Lots of spring projects going on with an occasional fishing day thrown in. signfishin Say Hi to Chris for me. 101wave2101

redmanjr1
05-05-2013, 03:08 PM
I will. He is in Texas now getting a Masters in cattle ranch management. Doing very well and appears to have a very nice job lined up as soon as he graduates. Good to hear retirement is treating you well. Tight lines.

froggie
03-04-2014, 12:27 PM
This seems to be a really old thread with a few 2013 posts, so I thought i'd add to it and then people can update or jump in too. I was a special education teacher in New Mexico for 12 years and here in CA for 14 years. I am NOW finally retired. Waiting for Tortuga to retire (in 3 more years). We planned on relocating to our property in northern New Mexico, but we are now rethinking the wisdom of such a remote area for retirement. I've been researching the Coeur d'Alene, ID area and now the Spokane, WA area. We don't mind winter especially if we don't have to go to work in it. Looking for that Dream area that everyone else wants too.

carlz
06-26-2014, 02:17 PM
Civil Engineer, Partner, with 50 full time employees fishing time is the great getaway goal. last year built house for wife of 30 yrs, this year FISHNG.

SuperD
06-26-2014, 03:06 PM
Reached another birthday milestone this week so the retirement countdown on my phone app reads, 1 year, 11 months, 27 days and a few hours in change. Really, really looking forward to my new career.

gonefishing
06-28-2014, 01:59 PM
I am a retired Sales Manager and I am very happy with retirement. I have been working on home projects that have been ignored for years. Happly, I am getting to the end of that list, but have been fishing every chance I can get anyway. Fish caught this past 2 months is over 200. Obviously I do not keep all of them. This week I am planning on my grand Kokanee run of going after kokanee for 5 straight days. I know I will be tired come this next Saturday, but it will be the right kind of tired. NOTHING LIKE BEING RETIRED WITH THE RIGHT HOBBY. worthy12101chromefish101

TheLastViking
08-09-2014, 05:27 AM
Stay away from Spokane froggie, it has an unbelievably high rate of burglaries and vehicle thefts, even in the more upscale neighborhoods. The pictures on the tourism website don't show what it really looks like. Driving through downtown reminds me of Oakland or El Paso. CDA and Post Falls are 10x better.

downriggeral
08-11-2014, 12:51 PM
I have a residential/lite commercial water treatment company in NE Washington. We specialize in problem well water; getting the iron yuck out. Semi-retired but I have to work to support my fetish......tackle and fishing! thumbsup

rgarbar
08-11-2014, 03:23 PM
I'm a "financial manipulator". I been nipping at my wife's finances for years!thumbsup

campdog
08-13-2014, 10:53 AM
I am in the process of changing careers. I am a junior in the mechanical engineering program at Boise State University (GO BRONCOS). I also work in one of the research labs on campus which allows me to have a very flexible work schedule. In the Summer time I take a lot of three day weekends with the family. We normally go camping and kokanee fishing in order to stock the freezer; otherwise my wife will buy fish!!!

sawtooth
08-13-2014, 11:41 AM
Campdog,
Welcome to the forum. My son is starting the mechanical engineering program at BSU in a couple of weeks. How have you liked the program so far? Was it difficult to get the job on campus or are there several available to the students in your department?

TheLastViking
08-14-2014, 04:09 AM
I'm a guard in the county jail.

AFDan52
08-14-2014, 12:59 PM
I spent 15 years as an Aircraft freight loader for the US Air Force , the last 20 years as a Heavy Mobile Equipment Mechanic. Planning to retire in about 4 years.

campdog
08-18-2014, 10:57 AM
Sawtooth,
The program is great. There are always opportunities for someone with determination and drive but the most important part of finding a job is that it's not what you know, but who you know.

inthedirtagain
09-20-2014, 10:15 AM
Was a diesel mechanic in the Army for 8yrs while going to school (BS in Biology, BS in Clinical Laboratory Sciences, Master's in Healthcare Administration w/LIS emphasis). I've worked all over the PNW in various hospitals, but I've recently started working for the Boise VA Medical Center. I'm a Medical Technologist.

BorntoFish01
09-20-2014, 10:43 AM
I retired from the National Park Service after 37+ years. Duty stations included: Isle Royale NP; Yosemite NP; Death Valley NP; Olympic NP; Fort Necessity NB; Shilo NMP; Great Smoky Mountains NP; National Interagency Fire Center/Boise.

STLHDR
04-14-2015, 03:56 PM
I am medically retired due to OJA and major hearing loss with 35+ years as a telephone cable splicer. Some love those new fangled job titles like Network Technician II, but I don't.
I would love to go back to work because I can't afford to fish as much as I would like to.....

terek
04-14-2015, 05:12 PM
I own a up and coming heating and cooling business located in Nampa, id. been doing it all my life, and finally got sick of working for a holes that don't care about employees or customers. My business plan is to take a little hit on personal prophets to be able to pay/treat my workers better than I have ever been treated, and to provide a quality product at cheaper prices. Seems to be working well, we are finally out of the red after a large loan and 3 1/2 years running. Looking like my 5 year plan might work out, and I wont have to do much in a few years. Right now im working 12-16 hours a day :/ If anyone in the treasure valley is looking for some heat or A/C work, hit up Integrity Heating and Air