PDA

View Full Version : Another rainy day project...dodger wallet

Full_Monte
03-04-2009, 11:59 PM
Well, it's raining again here in the land of fruits and nuts. In Sacramento, they're probably trying to figure out how to tax us for the rain we are getting. :)
Today's project was to organize and protect my small but growing dodger collection. I made some dodger "wallets" out of some home heat-seal bags.
Pictures are attached below. I can't claim credit for the idea as it was mentioned on another forum. Each wallet has ten 2 inch wide pockets for dodgers and is 6 3/4 inches tall. If you are going to make these, you might remember to reverse neighboring dodgers so that they fit together like spoons in a drawer when you fold up the wallet. There are a couple advantages to this system. It keeps dodgers from banging around in the tackle box and getting scratched up. It also allows me to find the one I'm looking for easier.

MackPrince
03-05-2009, 01:12 AM
Great idea and pics Monte. I think people will begin looking for quick and economical ideas given the recent economic changes.

It looks like you've got a great assortment of attractors.

Bduck
03-05-2009, 08:37 AM
Great idea Monte. I also have a food processor with those bags. That make it convenient. I think I might try that. worthy12

Kokonuts
03-05-2009, 09:20 AM
Monte ....You've gone & done it again!
I've been thinking of doing something like that with an old 3 ring binder that closes with a zipper. This way you could set up a days worth of "STUFF" to go fishing!
worthy12......Kokonuts

dunnigan jim
03-05-2009, 09:34 AM
WTG MONTE Who says you can't teach an old dog new tricks... I like it, I'm making mine up 2day .. THNX

AFDan52
03-05-2009, 11:11 AM
Hey Monte, What a great idea. I have a lot of those bags and the sealer to boot. Guess I better get busy collecting my Dodgers.thumbsup

Fallriverguy
03-05-2009, 11:12 AM
I have been wanting a new way to store my dodger and I have now have it. Thanks for the great idea FM!

Full_Monte
03-05-2009, 02:02 PM
Monte ....You've gone & done it again!
I've been thinking of doing something like that with an old 3 ring binder that closes with a zipper. This way you could set up a days worth of "STUFF" to go fishing!
worthy12......Kokonuts

I went into Office Depot looking for something like a 3-ring binder with pouches for dodgers and flashers. Couldn't find anything that looked like it would work.
I guess you could make up these bags the size of a sheet of paper and hole-punch them to go into a binder. They are eleven inches wide, just like a piece of paper. Good thinking, Kokonuts.worthy12

Kokanee Killer
03-05-2009, 02:47 PM
Well, it's raining again here in the land of fruits and nuts. In Sacramento, they're probably trying to figure out how to tax us for the rain we are getting. :)
Today's project was to organize and protect my small but growing dodger collection. I made some dodger "wallets" out of some home heat-seal bags.
Pictures are attached below. I can't claim credit for the idea as it was mentioned on another forum. Each wallet has ten 2 inch wide pockets for dodgers and is 6 3/4 inches tall. If you are going to make these, you might remember to reverse neighboring dodgers so that they fit together like spoons in a drawer when you fold up the wallet. There are a couple advantages to this system. It keeps dodgers from banging around in the tackle box and getting scratched up. It also allows me to find the one I'm looking for easier.

great work pure GENIUS!!

SilverBullets
03-05-2009, 02:56 PM
Great write up Monte! I'm going to have to make a few of those. I've been using these... google " Cabela's flasher storage bags" A soft sided bag like that to keep your storage system idea all together might be a thought.

Old School
03-05-2009, 02:57 PM
Full Monte,

Definately a nice looking job.

I too was looking for a way to keep dodgers from banging around in the tackle box. They're too expensive not to protect.

I recently picked up a small square case logic CD case on Ebay for 5-6 bucks. Each CD slot is a pretty good fit for two dodgers. I used a stapler to divide each section and I think its going to work pretty good. Not for the individual with ump teen dodgers, but right now I have about 8-10 dodgers and 5-6 side kicks in it.

Old School

Kokonuts
03-05-2009, 03:32 PM
This is what I Love about this Forum, a Great bunch of guys sharing tips, how tos, where to go tos, whats hot & whats not!!
Its only gonna get better once it warms up just a little more.....Can't wait!!!

Dropshot
03-05-2009, 07:32 PM
Great Idea.

What I noticed that the color on some of the dogers really jumps out at you, particularly the blue ones next to and including the sling blade. It appears you were using a flash. Are those super bright dodgers UV by chance?

Gadabout
03-05-2009, 07:48 PM
Monti, not a bod ideal but like mac prince stated people may be looking for something cheap. I found that going to Wal-Mart and getting the large CD holders will work for my dodgers. You can get them of about $5.00 bucks and they will hold around 40 dodgers.

Full_Monte
03-05-2009, 09:20 PM
Great Idea.

What I noticed that the color on some of the dogers really jumps out at you, particularly the blue ones next to and including the sling blade. It appears you were using a flash. Are those super bright dodgers UV by chance?

Yes, I was using a flash. Some are glow or UV. They are all new, since I just started targeting kokanee.

Full_Monte
03-05-2009, 09:21 PM
Monti, not a bod ideal but like mac prince stated people may be looking for something cheap. I found that going to Wal-Mart and getting the large CD holders will work for my dodgers. You can get them of about $5.00 bucks and they will hold around 40 dodgers.

Gadabout, do you have any photos of these cases? I looked at CD cases, but could only find the real thin ones. I don't think the bags are more expensive than CD cases, but if you don't have a heat sealer, I can see your point.

twisted lines
03-06-2009, 01:59 PM
I defiantly have room (more room) In my bag now....A++++++

Stanson
03-07-2009, 01:16 AM
that's a Great Idea for storing those lures and dodgers and flashers but there is one thing!!!! did you guys get your wife permission to use all those freezer bags !!!!!the next time she use it and there is no bags left!!!! you are going to have to do some explaining...

Stan

Petty4life
03-07-2009, 01:19 AM
that's a Great Idea for storing those lures and dodgers and flashers but there is one thing!!!! did you guys get your wife permission to use all those freezer bags !!!!!the next time she use it and there is no bags left!!!! you are going to have to do some explaining...

Stan

Glad i dont have to worry about that the food saver stay's in the garage with the fishing equipment and is used for bait. LOLlaugh hyst

Gadabout
03-07-2009, 10:44 PM
Monti-can you come up with more projects? Or can you direct us to where we could find other home style projects.
Thanks once again for what you have given us.

Full_Monte
03-08-2009, 10:53 AM
Monti-can you come up with more projects? Or can you direct us to where we could find other home style projects.
Thanks once again for what you have given us.

You are welcome! I get so much help from the guys here on the KFF that I'm glad to be able to contribute something. If I think of any more home projects, I'll let you know. I don't have these ideas sitting on a shelf, so I have to wait for a brainstorm (and sometimes an idea from someone else on the forum). If any of you have modified the "dodger wallet" project, post some photos so we can all see your improvements.

Bduck
03-08-2009, 06:18 PM
You are welcome! I get so much help from the guys here on the KFF that I'm glad to be able to contribute something. If I think of any more home projects, I'll let you know. I don't have these ideas sitting on a shelf, so I have to wait for a brainstorm (and sometimes an idea from someone else on the forum). If any of you have modified the "dodger wallet" project, post some photos so we can all see your improvements. A smaller wallet worked great for storing some of the wedding ring setups I have.