PDA

View Full Version : When Is Fishing for Kokes The Best?

MrGrey1
03-04-2009, 10:00 PM
"Ussually before you get there or after you leave."

That's what they say...

I love fishing for Kokes. We just don't have too many big ones around my place. I love to fly fish for them with reddish/silver or pink flies. Or I fish for them deep with just a small .04 ounce lead on my 6lb line. It takes a a couple of minutes to get it way down to 60 feet, but it works. They love Salmon Eggs, Shrimp or even worm. Got to wait for the right pull though.. They are smart and careful fish!

Happy New Fishing Season to All!

HiTechKoke
03-04-2009, 10:08 PM
Wow.. now that is something that would challenge us all for sure. Is he fly fishing something you can do early in the year? I don't know if I'd have the patience to let a line drop to 60 feet. A picture of your setups might be good for all of us to see. I've seen jumping Kokanee in Berryessa here in California in the spring which has always amazed me. I know that some Oregon guys and probably others cast jigs to them so why not fly fish for them too.

Thanks for the post.

Kevin

Kokanee Killer
03-04-2009, 10:46 PM
welcome aboard, mr gray1 we in the east fish deep for them too, night fishing in the summer months under coleman lanterns hung over the rail of the boat,colored maggots tipped with a piece of corn 2lb test, 7 ft light action glass rod smmoth drag spinning reel,thats the ticket ,,,also drifting marabou jigs during daylight hours spring-summer produces too...

Fallriverguy
03-05-2009, 11:18 AM
I know guys that catch Kokanee on a fly. I don't think they target them; it is more of an incidental catch. I have seen the water boil with Kokanee feeding during a big midge hatch. I tried, but was unsuccessful trying to get them to take the fly. I know if I can match the hatch, it would be lights out fishing.