PDA

View Full Version : reels

captin bob
03-04-2009, 07:40 PM
hi all was wondering what your favorite reels are and do eny of you use ABU6500 with level wind or with out do you have your reels tuned like we do in england so as we can cast longer distances?? or is there no need wear you fish ??i have just given one of my sons my old abu6500c that i have had for 30 years and still working as well as the day i bought it iv herd the new abu reels are now being made in china and that there not as good as when they were being made in sweden which is such a shame i also use diawa 7ht mags and penn525 mags boath are good reels with the penn being more robust and casts well with power pro braid just wonderd what your thoughts on thes reels was tight lines captin bobthumbsup

SuperD
03-04-2009, 08:38 PM
Captin Bob, there is a thread a couple pages back with an exyensive response on this question. My personal opinion on an ABU6500 is it is WAY too big for an ultra light Koke set up. A lot of guys use 4600's or 5600's at most.

SilverBullets
03-05-2009, 12:32 AM
I've been useing the Daiwa AD17LC line counter for around 6 years now with no problems.

Kokanee Slow
03-05-2009, 12:58 AM
I just got a Daiwa AD27LC. It has a line counter and works very smooth. I hope it takes some of the guesswork out of depth of presentation.

DLM
03-05-2009, 11:50 PM
I use Tica's, a 100 and a 150. Great reels.

SilverBullets
03-05-2009, 11:55 PM

Welcome aboard dlm! thumbsup

Anyone useing the small ABU Gacia linecounters?

Bduck
03-06-2009, 10:59 AM
For yrs I used the Penn 209 level wind reels with no complaints. About 4 yrs ago I switch to Okuma Magda Pro MA30DX level wind with line counter. Great reel, no complaints. Been thinking about getting the smaller version MA20DX.

Fallriverguy
03-06-2009, 11:15 AM

Welcome dlm. Do think the Tica is a better than your other kokanee reels. I am thinking of getting one. I like the idea of the clicker function.

DLM
03-06-2009, 06:27 PM
I was using two baitcasting reels, a Diawa and a Shimano and yes I like the Tica much better. I am able to set it so I don't have to touch it as I drop the downrigger and both are nice and light.

I got the 100 from Ollie Damons in Portland, took about a week as they had to order the left hand model for me.

The 150 I got from Vance at the Portland show. He had a bunch of them and did not want to haul any home, made me a good deal.

From what Vance said Tica is discontinueing both models and concentrating on larger reels. One will be just a little large than the 150 but much more $$. You can check Vance's website to see what he has available.

Very smooth reel, lots of bearing (11 I think). Being a kid at heart I already took one apart to see how it worked and got it back together with no problema and no leftover parts. That a good test of anything mechanical for me.

captin bob
03-06-2009, 07:48 PM
last time i took a reel apart when i put it back together a had all kinds of bits and bobs lesson lernt dont take them apart eny moore lol captin bag of bitsworthy12laugh hystlaugh hystlaugh hyst

HiTechKoke
03-06-2009, 09:39 PM
From a maintenance perspective nobody beats the Tica - 1 hand tightened self retaining screw (so you don't lose it) and then twist to take it apart to service or swap spools. I own bot ABU 5600's C4s and Tica CT150 and CM150's. The clicker and clicker star drag is a plus so you hear the increments as you change. The drags ara a wash between the Tica's and Abus. I'm upgrading all of mine to some new carbon fiber washer kits to see if they turn silky smooth.

Kevin

wahoohunter
03-22-2009, 06:52 PM
For yrs I used the Penn 209 level wind reels with no complaints. About 4 yrs ago I switch to Okuma Magda Pro MA30DX level wind with line counter. Great reel, no complaints. Been thinking about getting the smaller version MA20DX.
I just bought an Okuma Convector CV 15 D. It has an improved drag system (multidisk "Carbonlite"), graphite frame but a metal spool, a paddle AND a knob type handle, Ti coated levelwind and an instant engagement on the anti-reverse.
Nice feel to it over all. Only 2 ball bearings but they are stainless and I'm not going to cast it anyway.
Looking forward to getting it wet.

Bduck
03-22-2009, 07:12 PM
I just bought an Okuma Convector CV 15 D. It has an improved drag system (multidisk "Carbonlite"), graphite frame but a metal spool, a paddle AND a knob type handle, Ti coated levelwind and an instant engagement on the anti-reverse.
Nice feel to it over all. Only 2 ball bearings but they are stainless and I'm not going to cast it anyway.
Looking forward to getting it wet. I was also looking into that reel myself. The magda pro has line counters on them which I do like that feature. So many quality reels out there, its hard to make up my mind. But whatever I get, it will go good with my koke rods. I'm going to have to make a decision soon with soft water almost here.

wahoohunter
03-22-2009, 07:36 PM
I should have mentioned that the reset for the line counter on the Convector I got is out of the way so I shouldn't have the prob I had with my Daiwa's and accidental resets-lol.

ll kaidoy ll
03-22-2009, 10:40 PM
From a maintenance perspective nobody beats the Tica - 1 hand tightened self retaining screw (so you don't lose it) and then twist to take it apart to service or swap spools. I own bot ABU 5600's C4s and Tica CT150 and CM150's. The clicker and clicker star drag is a plus so you hear the increments as you change. The drags ara a wash between the Tica's and Abus. I'm upgrading all of mine to some new carbon fiber washer kits to see if they turn silky smooth.

Kevin

Good to see you pulled the trigger on some new carbon fiber drag washers Kevin. You won't be disappointed. thumbsup

Here is my input on the topic...My favorite reels for Kokanee fishing are the Abu Garcia 4600s. I've done some minor modifications such as swapping out the stock drag washers with greased carbon fiber drag washers and adding a clicker. I can't be happier with them. I was thinking about trying out the Ticas, but I haven't convinced myself to pull the trigger yet. :p However, I have heard nothing but positive reviews about them.

Propnut69
03-22-2009, 11:08 PM
I have four of the okuma's 15's on my boat. They take a lickin and keep on tickin.Spool them with some good 10lb test and let the games begin.The drags are smooth,plus I like the single handle on them. Very good reels for the money.