PDA

View Full Version : Trailer Maintenance

Bduck
03-03-2009, 02:27 PM
Just a reminder with the new fishing season coming on, check over your boat trailer. I lost a wheel bearing yr before last. I was flagged down on the interstate that something was wrong. The only thing holding my wheel on was the washer with the nut. If that tire came off and hit another vehicle, I would have been liable for injuries, death, or damage. Instead it cost me a tow to get my boat & trailer back home. A $200 tow bill is getting off cheap. I'm sure some of you have experienced similar mishaps. Be careful no matter what your adventures are. GOOD FISHING thumbsup

Fallriverguy
03-03-2009, 02:48 PM
Thanks. My trailer is old enough that I plan to replace the bearings this year. Is the changing out the Bearing Buddy any different that standard wheel bearings?

twisted lines
03-03-2009, 03:31 PM
Thanks. My trailer is old enough that I plan to replace the bearings this year. Is the changing out the Bearing Buddy any different that standard wheel bearings?

From my experiance its the same just a little harder to get the bearing buddies off....

Fishbucket
03-03-2009, 04:52 PM
knock the bearing buddy.. top-bottom-left-right...with a soft face mallet and it will pop off..

Internally the bearings are no diffrent then any other trailer. The most trouble will be getting all the old grease out of the hub.

Lundman
03-03-2009, 06:19 PM
Last year early in the season on the way to the Gorge, I saw 5 boats in one day that were off the side of the road with some sort of trailer problem.
One thing to check is how dirty the bottom of your brake fluid reservoir is on your surge brakes. I had always checked my fliud but never noticed the slug in the bottom. This slug will clog the surge blakes and will cause braking problems down the road.

Petty4life
03-03-2009, 06:28 PM
Very good post and reminder BDuckthumbsup

Full_Monte
03-03-2009, 07:51 PM
This is an often overlooked topic. All the prep work we do to get ready to fish is for nought if you can't get your boat to the water. It's an important thing to remember to put a load of grease in your bearings through the bearing buddies before you launch. This keeps water out of the bearings. If you get water in the bearings for any length of time, they will fail. I also try to put grease in my bearings after retrieving the boat just to make sure I drive out any water. Another thing to do that can help is to buy an extra bearing set when you change the bearings and store it in your "road kit". If you have to, you can change a bearing at the side of the road.

Bduck
03-03-2009, 09:11 PM
Petty, Sounds like we need a section for safety issues. Safety is always a first no matter where you go and what you do. We all know the drill, we just need a boost as a reminder.

bobco
03-04-2009, 09:51 AM
started my spring task last week. as for bearing make sure you clean them up good and inspect them for any problems, I have found a little needle for the grease gun for repacking the bearings is great, the mech at work showed me it , you get a real good pentration into the bearing rollers with this. As far as bearing buddys, the old style ,well suck, all they do is put pressure onthe rear seal until it blows out, the new style with the spindle (spindle lube) drilled so that the grease get to the rear bearing then pushs the old grease out the front is the cats meow. Don't forget the impeller in your outboard, I do mine every couple years. good time for new tires if needed also...

Old School
03-04-2009, 11:01 PM
I repacked my bearings this time last year. It was my first time and it was a dirty job, but pretty simple, granted there weren't any major issues. I had grease building up on the inside of one of my rims which is a good sign my real seal was blown out. My bearings looked good so I soaked them in carb cleaner, and cleaned out every last bit of grit and grease. I got the seals and grease at my local marine shop. I get nitrile rubber gloves from work and I used a lot of them. The removing of the old grease is the worst part. Theres nothing like the smell of old grease. I cleaned everything out very good and finished off with brake cleaner I think. Hand packed the bearings, put everything together, then packed the hub. Hammered the bearing buddies back on. Toped off the grease with the gun and one year later still going good.

Topping off the grease is definately touchy. Not enough..no protection. Too much..blown seal. Takes a little trial and error. Its probably a good idea to recheck after driving, but before getting wet the first time to see if bearing buddy is still under pressure and therefore keeping water out.

I plan on repeating next year.
Old School

AFDan52
03-04-2009, 11:59 PM
I need to replace my boat trailer. IThe one that I have now is a roller type and I hate it, I want to get one with Bunks. But I usually check the bearings before during and after every trip as part of my usual inspection. I usually check the bearing buddies every trip. I make it a habit to take them apart and clean them up so that the spring moves easily.

HiTechKoke
03-05-2009, 12:05 AM
After doing the bearing job once the next time is much easier and old school described the basic process. Definitely find yourself an inexpensive bearing packer as it is really worth it to re-load the inner and/or outer bearings with new grease with a packer. Here's a good article I ran into describing the overall process in more detail in case you have not done it before:

http://searchwarp.com/swa211385.htm

The wheel bearing packer I have is similar to this one but there are lots of them out there:

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B000PDQ3E4/ref=asc_df_B000PDQ3E4734296?smid=A31AW2OZADFE8G&tag=shopzilla_rev_123-20&linkCode=asn

or http://www.etrailer.com/pc-T~L70025.htm?utm_source=shopzilla&utm_medium=ppc

Kevin

HiTechKoke
03-05-2009, 12:10 AM
And best of all a a video on how to use the bearing packer...

http://www.etrailer.com/tv-demo_plews_bearing_packer_L70025.aspx

Fallriverguy
03-05-2009, 11:14 AM
HTK, I have the same bearing packer and it works well. It has been a while since I used it so now I have to try and find it.

Thanks for the links.

Bduck
03-05-2009, 02:50 PM
After doing the bearing job once the next time is much easier and old school described the basic process. Definitely find yourself an inexpensive bearing packer as it is really worth it to re-load the inner and/or outer bearings with new grease with a packer. Here's a good article I ran into describing the overall process in more detail in case you have not done it before:

http://searchwarp.com/swa211385.htm

The wheel bearing packer I have is similar to this one but there are lots of them out there:

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B000PDQ3E4/ref=asc_df_B000PDQ3E4734296?smid=A31AW2OZADFE8G&tag=shopzilla_rev_123-20&linkCode=asn

or http://www.etrailer.com/pc-T~L70025.htm?utm_source=shopzilla&utm_medium=ppc

KevinThe wheel bearing packer is the same one I have. I picked one up at Harbor Freight for around $6.00. I think they still have them. I see there adds on a occasion.

justfish
03-05-2009, 03:26 PM
one more thing that gets over looked is dryroted tires

Bduck
03-05-2009, 08:10 PM
There are proper type tires to be using for trailers. They are labeled with a ST. They are not made to put on your vehicles. Also, they hold a higher inflation than regular auto tires. Pricing is reasonable.

SilverBullets
03-08-2009, 04:22 PM
started my spring task last week. as for bearing make sure you clean them up good and inspect them for any problems, I have found a little needle for the grease gun for repacking the bearings is great, the mech at work showed me it , you get a real good pentration into the bearing rollers with this. As far as bearing buddys, the old style ,well suck, all they do is put pressure onthe rear seal until it blows out, the new style with the spindle (spindle lube) drilled so that the grease get to the rear bearing then pushs the old grease out the front is the cats meow. Don't forget the impeller in your outboard, I do mine every couple years. good time for new tires if needed also...

Can anyone provide a website that's got these new bearing buddys shown, part numbers and cost? Got the old style now, and replaced the bearings last year because of this exact problem...rear seal blew. Thanks in advance.

Bduck
03-20-2009, 11:42 AM
Well, I just put 2 new tires on my boat trailer. I was getting ready to replace the axle when I found someone that could realign mine. I was wearing out tires too easily. Lucky enough to get a season out of the tires. Hopefully this takes care of the problem which I'm sure it will. Watch your tire wear. The more pot holes you hit in the road, the more your going to tweak your axle. Single axles carrying a heavy load tend to do this. I've hit alot of pot holes going fishing everywhere here. The winters out here devestate some of our roads.

Propnut69
03-20-2009, 02:24 PM
What a timely topic, as I just got done repacking my bearings. I do mine every two to three years,and keep a close eye on the bearing buddies. I have that type of bearing packer shown on the video. Very simple to use,but a word of caution about that type of bearing packer. Its only self centering when the packer is clean,after the first time you use it ,the grease on the bottom half will stop the bearing from centering. So always double check before packing the grease in the bearing. I always looked at having to repack bearings as cheap insurance against breaking down on the side of the road somewhere.

KOKANEE
03-20-2009, 03:03 PM
Last year early in the season on the way to the Gorge, I saw 5 boats in one day that were off the side of the road with some sort of trailer problem.
One thing to check is how dirty the bottom of your brake fluid reservoir is on your surge brakes. I had always checked my fliud but never noticed the slug in the bottom. This slug will clog the surge blakes and will cause braking problems down the road.

Thats what I have done every year is just check the fluid levels. I didnt know there could be a sludge problem. What do you reccomend? Should I just drain and add new fluid or take it in and have the mecinics flush it?

Petty4life
05-10-2009, 09:41 PM
Never take this for granted. all the boats I've ever owned and snowmobile trailers first thing I've done is pull the hubs and repack my bearings well this one i didn't i relied on the last guy and only took it out twice probably less then 50 miles since i had it home. well the other day on my way fishing just for giggles i grabbed ahold of my wheel and felt play, long story short the seal surface was hammered and the outer race had spun in the hub and that's where my play came from went and got new hubs just to get it by. got everything packed and went to put on and wrong hubs, went back and found that the hubs that i had where obsolete, so after getting a new axle and everything im waiting for the paint to dry on the axle so i can mount it up and hopefully take it fishing next weekendcrymearivercrymearivercrymeariver

bobco
05-10-2009, 10:00 PM
Bummer about the axle, but a good thing to catch, would hate to see that new boat upside down in the ditch!!

Bduck
05-10-2009, 10:05 PM
At least you now its going to be good. Sometimes having trust & faith can cost you. I see it as a good cost because it could have been alot worse. I'm glad everything is alright.

Petty4life
05-10-2009, 10:11 PM
Bummer about the axle, but a good thing to catch, would hate to see that new boat upside down in the ditch!!

i went from a 2 1/2 drop axle to a straight. and a 2700lb axle to a 3500lb. i should be good to go.

Kokaholic
05-10-2009, 11:00 PM
That sucks Jason. Not a fun thing. Were your shackles and springs all good?

halojm
05-11-2009, 07:28 AM
Jason
You should take some of these web sights that have been offfered and archive them somewhere on the board. Great info from everyone. Sorry to hear about the hard knock experiences however.

SilverBullets
11-23-2009, 02:59 PM
Took the boat and trailer in for new axle and hubs... going away from bearing buddies and upgrading to the E-Z lube system. Been useing the bearing buddies and was having issues with over greasing and blowing out the inner seals. With this new system the grease comes back at you to let you know when it's full. This is off their website:

The E-Z Lube system allows grease to flow with ease to both the outer and inner bearings for a complete repack. Axles equipped with this system can be periodically lubricated without removing the hubs from the axle. This features consists of axle spindles that have been specially drilled and assembled with grease fittings in their ends. When grease is pumped into the fitting, it is channeled to the inner bearing, then flows to the outer bearing, and eventually back out the grease cap hole. The E-Z Lube end cap allows for easy access, extra protection, and virtually no mess. The protection and maintenance features of Dexter's E-Z Lube system make it ideal for towable axles that get immersed in water. Regular inspection is still recommended.

Petty4life
11-23-2009, 03:07 PM
here is the link SB e-z lube axle (http://www.dexteraxle.com/e_z_lube_system)

I think that is the axle i just put on my trailer

Bduck
11-25-2009, 05:37 PM
For the past couple of years I was having trouble with my trailer lights. Would have to tap them to get them to work. Noticed sometimes while following wife towing boat that they would flicker on/off at times. When braking, one light would work and the other didn't and visa-versa. Connections were OK but the lights themselve showed signs of breaking down. They are a sealed light so going into them wasn't a good option. So, I replaced them with LED submersibles. Soldered the connections and what a difference. The lights are much brighter than the standard submersibles. I found the LED's at Harbor Freight Tools on sale for $40.00. I was leary at first of picking them up because of substandard merchandise but these are the same style that was my trailer. Right now I'm glad I bought them & hope there are no regrets later. But anything is better than what I had on the trailer before. The lights come complete with a wire kit. thumbsup

DLM
11-25-2009, 11:00 PM
I found the LED's at Harbor Freight Tools on sale for $40.00. I was leary at first of picking them up because of substandard merchandise but these are the same style that was my trailer. Right now I'm glad I bought them & hope there are no regrets later. But anything is better than what I had on the trailer before. The lights come complete with a wire kit. thumbsup

I fully understand your concerns about Harbor Freight merchandise, I have good luck and bad luck there, mostly bad......

Bduck
11-26-2009, 10:40 AM
I fully understand your concerns about Harbor Freight merchandise, I have good luck and bad luck there, mostly bad...... As a mechanic, I know what to look for in a place like this. I've some bad things from there with it being bought as a one time use only. Thats only because it available, cheap in price, and didn't have to run all over town looking for something that might work. Sometimes I got surprised. For quality tools, I'll go to Sears, Mac Tools, or Snap-on Tools. One thing I did find was a neat little 2pk LED flaslights just right for the tackle box or even the boat. Regular $9.99 for $3.99 or $2.99 w/coupon. They are bright. But the batteries they come with won't last very long. Easy enough to change them.

SilverBullets
11-26-2009, 11:54 AM
Yep, you have to be cautious buying stuff from Harbor Freight. I made the mistake of buying some zip ties there...they either break or won't tighten up. The heat gun I got there a couple years back just went in the garbage. I guess you get what you pay for...

Bduck
11-29-2009, 10:21 AM
Just finished up purchasing replacement marker LED lights for the boat trailer. I went around town looking specifically for submersible type but didn't find them. After talking to several sales reps, these lights are a sealed weather proof light so I'll take a chance to see if they hold up after being in water. When I launch I always unplug the trailers lights at the truck anyways. :D

Petty4life
11-29-2009, 11:32 AM
As a mechanic, I know what to look for in a place like this. I've some bad things from there with it being bought as a one time use only. Thats only because it available, cheap in price, and didn't have to run all over town looking for something that might work. Sometimes I got surprised. For quality tools, I'll go to Sears, Mac Tools, or Snap-on Tools. One thing I did find was a neat little 2pk LED flaslights just right for the tackle box or even the boat. Regular $9.99 for $3.99 or $2.99 w/coupon. They are bright. But the batteries they come with won't last very long. Easy enough to change them.

bduck i bought a set of those flashlights 6 months ago and use them daily. as a mechanic i have to have reliable flashlights. they have done just as good as the $50 flashlights, im still on my first set of batteries in both lights, but will proply have to change them soon or buy another set that might be cheaper then new batteries. LOLlaugh hyst

Bduck
11-29-2009, 08:24 PM
bduck i bought a set of those flashlights 6 months ago and use them daily. as a mechanic i have to have reliable flashlights. they have done just as good as the $50 flashlights, im still on my first set of batteries in both lights, but will proply have to change them soon or buy another set that might be cheaper then new batteries. LOLlaugh hyst

Petty, My set of batteries didn't last a weekend at the Gorge but when I refreshed them, they are still going today, and thats been 6 months now. Un fortunately we don't know how old those batteries are. But you are right about the flashlight, its better than spending $50.00 on a quality light.

SuperD
11-30-2009, 03:49 PM
Roger, are your LED lights on the trailer the oval or rectangle type?

Bduck
11-30-2009, 09:56 PM
Roger, are your LED lights on the trailer the oval or rectangle type?
Dave, I have the rectangular type. Are you thinking about putting some on?

HiTechKoke
11-30-2009, 11:00 PM
I did a full trailer conversion, tail, side marker, fender, rear light bar to LED 2 years ago and have never regretted it. I was tired of dealing with the old standard bulbs in "sealed" units still flooding on the tail lights and dealing with side marker lights etc. The LED's are 5 times more visible and worth the extra money to help protect your investment, particularly when hauling in the dark. The rear tail lights I went with are from Peterson and can be found discounted on Amazon with this link:

http://www.amazon.com/Peterson-Mfg-Trailer-Light-V947/dp/B000FG8B32/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=automotive&qid=1259639890&sr=8-1

Kevin

Petty4life
11-30-2009, 11:17 PM
id like to upgrade to led lights this year, i have ti back down a narrow alley to my garage and can use all the light i can get so i dont hit the house againlaugh hyst

SuperD
12-01-2009, 12:45 PM
Jason, I wonder if the stern travel light on your boat being on would add any appreciable light for backing the trailer in.