PDA

View Full Version : Are fishing derbies worth it?

Full_Monte
03-02-2009, 08:20 PM
I've never been in a fishing derby. Do you guys like them? What makes them fun and what makes them not fun? I notice that there are quite a few koke derbies every year and was wondering if it's worthwhile to participate.

AFDan52
03-02-2009, 08:25 PM
I've been in a couple of contests, Not kokanee Contests but contest none the less. I think they are fun, Plus I get to spend mroe time with my son when we enter them.thumbsup

HiTechKoke
03-02-2009, 10:02 PM
This is a loaded question for me since I am a derby fanatic and on the KP board. It's another excuse to go out fishing and a chance to measure up with others on that day with some fun competition.

Above all that though everyone has to remember that the derbies are mini-fund raisers for various organizations like Kokanee Power and Project Kokanee. The excess proceeds are are then put back into the fishery and projects they support. In order for derbies to be successful monetarily they need enough participation to outweigh the costs of running them which is not as cheap as one thinks with all the permits etc. In the KP and PK case both are non-profit orgs with volunteers. Not everyone likes the derby pressure or crowds of boats on derby day but Kokanee which is perfectly acceptable and there are other ways to donate to the Kokanee cause rather than a derby.

For me it's generally a family affair with the kids most of the time and they have fun with other kids before and after the derby. One thing derbies has done for me is to accelerate my knowledge of those derby lakes by 10 fold since I may not go to those lakes otherwise. It can help in terms of knowing where Kokanee are typically caught and what lures seem to work better at certain lakes. I always gather post derby knowledge which is shared pretty readily and then think about what I was using that day as a comparison to where other people were fishing and how the fishing was from their perspective.

Gathering trends of where and how bigger fish were caught in a derby is always valuable as well. Sure you can do this outside the derby atmosphere on your own but you'll have a lot less data points on a single day. I certainly have used that knowledge when I go back to the same lakes year to year but it helps when I go back on non derby days as well. Of course things can change but I have a good baseline to work through derby participation.

There's the long winded answer to the question from my view. Everyone has their view on it of course. Probably the best thing to do is pair up with somebody that has done a few already and you get into it much quicker than trying it cold. :)

Kevin

SuperD
03-02-2009, 10:17 PM
These types of questions can easily become political bombs with the "for" and "against". Guys seem to get pretty passionate about both sides.

Fishon18
03-02-2009, 10:21 PM
Try one and form your own opinion. I actually like them, but not the long lines at the ramp especially when it's hot! violin

Scott

HiTechKoke
03-02-2009, 10:34 PM
Try one and form your own opinion. I actually like them, but not the long lines at the ramp especially when it's hot! violin

Scott

Yep.. the easy part is launching in a nice orderly fashion.. the downside is competing with the water sport crowd to get out for the weigh in time. I mitigated a lot of this at derbies where the weigh in was close enough by just dropping off people / kids where it was a term derby format and I was not required to be in line. I just pulled out of the way and did boat clean-up while waiting for the trailer. This doesn't work out at all derbies though so with kids I tend to quit earlier to avoid the launch ramp rush.

One thing that helps a ton for general hot weather fishing besides having lots of water is installing a "mister" system if you have a washdown pump and a bimini top top string the jets. This has allowed us a lot more time on hot days as the misting spray in the back of the boat keeps you much cooler. Of course if all else fails just quit earlier and go for a swim if applicable. You can get these systems at your local hardware store in the summers or online.

Kevin

Fallriverguy
03-03-2009, 10:57 AM
I fished one in California many years ago and liked it. Last year I fished two in Oregon and had fun and look forward to the ones this year. I find it worthwhile to meet others with a similar passion, and like HTK said, it is a fund raiser.

Bduck
03-03-2009, 11:05 AM
I haven't had the pleasure in being in a derby, yet. I'm looking fwd to the day when I do get into one. I look at Calif KP, there results, the fun that they are having and someday that its going to happen in Utah. For now the KFF challenge is a start.

Propnut69
03-03-2009, 11:53 PM
I have done two of the local derbies(villa,buckboard classic) over the years and always had fun . It's like anything else ,there are pros and cons when it come to derbies. I always equated doing a derbie ,like gambling in Vegas. I know they are going to get my money,but at least I'm going to have fun losing it. I have been a on the water judge for the buckboard classic before ,and that was always fun. I know one thing ,if I'm not involved with the derby in someway,then I stay far away from the lake that weekend.