PDA

View Full Version : Run in's with the wardens

MackPrince
02-27-2009, 11:15 PM
I'm curious to know how frequently wardens (or Sheriff's) stop anglers in different parts of the country.
I've been stopped three times in the last 8 seasons to check for fish counts and basic boating requirements.

Petty4life
02-27-2009, 11:19 PM
I got checked at the fish cleaning station at the buckboard marina at flaming gorge and after he said everything looked ok i thanked him for doing his job.thumbsup

Propnut69
02-28-2009, 12:20 AM
I get checked about 4-5 times a season. Given the amount of time i spend on the water ,that really isn't that bad, Its usually the newbies that are checking me at first ,til they get to know my boat.It seems that every year we have a few new officers that cut their teeth on the gorge.

Full_Monte
02-28-2009, 09:13 AM
In the land of fruits and nuts, it sometimes seems like there is a warden behind every bush and tree. Other times, I don't see one all year. They seem to "saturate" an area like the highway patrol does.

justfish
02-28-2009, 10:01 AM
I got stoped twice last year once out in the water on the gorge and once at lucerne marina at flaming gorge the guy at the marina was nice but the guy out on the water wasn't; we all have or good and bad days I thanked then both

Bduck
02-28-2009, 11:29 AM
I got checked once at a nearby reservoir(East Canyon) last year. I don't mind getting stopped and checked but I was watching or observing how they never bothered to warn the skiiers about how close they came to the fishermen that was out with there music up as aloud as they can get it. I guess its easier to get to the guy thats puttin' along instead of a high speed chase. I understand people want to have fun, I did when I was young. But I've been fishing all my life and always have shown respect to other fishermen and boaters. Skiiers never want to go to the part of the lake that has nobody around. Its always near someone to show off.

wahoohunter
02-28-2009, 12:09 PM
In the land of fruits and nuts.......
laugh hystlaugh hystlaugh hyst

vvBob
02-28-2009, 12:16 PM
Last year at the Gorge my son & I were paid a visit by the warden.
He pulled up along side, & trolled along with us for a while, never asked for a license, or to see any fish. Just asked how the bite was, & if we had anything......Complemented me on the boat, & said he appreciated us visiting the state, then off he went.

TrophyBoat
02-28-2009, 03:27 PM
me and my dad got stopped twice at the gorge last year once in the spring and once in the fall. Same two officers both times, it was funny cause in the spring one of the officers was training a newbie and had to walk him through everything and then in the fall the newbies head was as big as it could get. But those wyoming guys are good and thorough with there work which is good.
Kinda off the subject but there was a DWR cop that stopped us dove hunting one year and was being big Ahole and he tore into all our stuff and checked for plugs and licenses and so on so forth but the sad thing is he never made us pull our birds out to look at them and check the actuall game ( he pretty much knew how many we had cause he watched us for an hour or more) so basically he just wanted to try and write us a ticket rather than check out the health/sex/condition etc. of the game. That bugs me.
my 2 cents

FishHunter
03-01-2009, 01:31 PM
Almost everytime I go fishing or hunting, I get stopped by wardens. I think they planted gps devices on my truck and boat laugh hyst. I always get checked at the Gorge on every trip, one time twice in the same day. One year elk hunting, I was stopped 4 times in 5 days, all by the same warden. I showed him my name in his book each subsequent time he stopped me, but he thought he better check again and again and again just in case.

Fallriverguy
03-01-2009, 01:36 PM
I get checked once a year. In Oregon the do a boat safety inspection. When you pass the inspection you get a sticker to put on your boat. After I get current year's sticker I don't get inspected or stopped again.

SilverBullets
03-01-2009, 01:45 PM
I get checked once a year. In Oregon the do a boat safety inspection. When you pass the inspection you get a sticker to put on your boat. After I get current year's sticker I don't get inspected or stopped again.

Same here. When the sticker goes out of date, usually we have to flag them down out on the water to get them to stop by to do another inspection. Their usually very nice, offering them some smoked kokanee doesn't hurt either!thumbsup

FishHunter
03-01-2009, 01:49 PM

I wish Utah, Wyoming and Colorado had stickers like that. It is nice to talk to the wardens from time to time, but it is a hassle to get stopped and checked multiple times a year. It always takes 15 or 20 minutes and it undoubtedly happens when the bite is on.

nob
03-01-2009, 02:02 PM
Ive had my current boat for ten + years and havent been stoped yet,, and with no inspection sticker.. ive had them pull up and ask about the fishing then leave. I do overkill on my safety gear and it shows . my last 4 or 5 boats I got pulled over several times a year and only once was the officer rude , he must have had a bad day... he was working with a rookie and she had a hard time keeping the boats apart..

SuperD
03-01-2009, 04:34 PM
I think there was a big increase in warden visibility in most states last year as an educational opportunity for quaga mussel and other boat transported problems. I was approached twice at Eagle Lake and once at Powell last year and that is what they seemed to want to talk about. I was asked for license each time but then they followed it up with the speech.

MackPrince
03-01-2009, 05:04 PM
I'm with Silver Bullets. The local boat patrols are normally pretty nice guys, sometimes they even share some good tips. And a little smoked kokanee never hurts ;)

Kokaholic
03-01-2009, 10:34 PM
I wouldnt mind seeing something like that here in Wyoming and Utah with a sticker for your boat that shows you have been checked, both boat and owner/ anglers and would keep them from repeating over and over. Lets them go after and check the ones that they need to.

Propnut69
03-02-2009, 09:17 AM
I wouldnt mind seeing something like that here in Wyoming and Utah with a sticker for your boat that shows you have been checked, both boat and owner/ anglers and would keep them from repeating over and over. Lets them go after and check the ones that they need to.

I would like to see a sticker program in Wyo/Utah also. I don't mind getting checked once or twice,but it sure would be nice that when the officers have seen your sticker ,they would go on to some one else. I was just thinking that with the economic downturn. That all states will be handing out more tickets,trying to raise more revenue.