PDA

View Full Version : What's the best way to attach holographic tape?

Full_Monte
02-27-2009, 05:35 PM
I have some of this stuff, but it seems to come off, even off of some lures I bought. Do you guys use the contact glue on the back of the tape, or something else? Do you top-coat it with anything, like a clear fingernail polish?

Kokehead
02-27-2009, 05:40 PM
I just use what is on the tape. Do you clean the surface before applying?

CurlysLures
02-27-2009, 06:51 PM
We use brass when making our lures and before applying the tape we clean it with acetone thoroughly before application we then use a very heavy roller to make sure it stays on well

SilverBullets
02-27-2009, 07:38 PM
When I first started customizing apex lures with tape, due to the curvature of the lure the tape had a hard time sticking. What I do now is rough it up, then apply a light coat of rubber cement, let dry, and apply tape. then spray on a top coat of clear acrylic gloss.
On the downrigger balls, I rough up the surface, clean with lacquer thinner, cut the tape into 1" squares, then make cuts towards the center of each square so the tape will conform to a round surface. I then top coat it with a product called "flex coat", a clear flexible coating. On dodgers, I just make sure they are clean of grease, and apply the tape.

SilverBullets
02-27-2009, 10:33 PM
Netcraft has a product called holoform reflector tape that is really great to work with, and conforms to bends better than most tapes. It's a holographic tape with a scale pattern that's printed on a clear backing, so your lure color shows through.thumbsup

Full_Monte
03-04-2009, 08:58 AM
This is s big help. Thank you!