PDA

View Full Version : Utah vs Wyoming fishing lic

Stanson
02-27-2009, 03:41 PM
I have a question for you locals in the Flaming Gorge fishing lic question
for all of you nonresident.

Its looks like it is cheeper to buy a Utah lic with a Wy.stamp than getting a
Wy lic with a Utah Stamp. Is that right

Utah as a seven day lic where Wy.only as a one day at a time lic at 14.00 per day... depending how long plan to fish most coming from California will probstay for at least week so it looks like getting a Utah lic with aWy stamp is going tocost you 34+10=44.00dollars vs 14.00per day so if you say for the week it would cost you for the Wy lic. 14x7=98+10=108 dollars

and when you buy the Ric. stamp from Wy. or Utah you must sign it I guess thats so you cant pass it on to some else to use .

Utah daily Lic cost 12.00 per day Wy cost 14.00 Diollars per day the Ric stamp is 10.00 Dollars ether State so if you have Wy lic you have to have a Utha Ric stamp Attached and signed or the other way is But a Utah lic with a Wyoming Ric stamp..
So its going to be Cheeper to go Utah Lic with Wy Ric. stamp

I'm i right about this please let me know I was doing research with both states and that is what i found out. so if you plan to fish more than three days it going to be cheeperto by a Utah lic with the 10 Dollar stamp Vs a Wy lic with a Utah stamp..
Stanviolin

Petty4life
02-27-2009, 03:48 PM
that sounds about right cost me aabout $55 for the year. $26 utah red. lic + 15 2 pole permit + 10 recip stamp.

dont forget that to use more then 1 pole on the utah side you have to have a 2 pole permit.

Stanson
02-27-2009, 04:04 PM
that's right but you can only have one limit in pos. total so what would the advantage of two poles

Petty4life
02-27-2009, 04:27 PM
that's right but you can only have one limit in pos. total so what would the advantage of two poles

catch rate of running more rods

Petty4life
02-27-2009, 04:29 PM
here's one for you. last year i took my 10yr old son up for the weekend well on the utah side he can get his own limit without a lic but on the wyo side we have to share 1 limit. so i spent the $14 to get him a nonres. 1 day permit. so we could take home 6 kokes instead of 3 the maverick wouldnt sale him a lic cause he was under age but buckboard sold it to us.

Stanson
02-27-2009, 04:36 PM
Interesting... I see you June 7th is a free day to fish in wy does utah have that free day too

Petty4life
02-27-2009, 04:39 PM
Interesting... I see you June 7th is a free day to fish in wy does utah have that free day too

i think its the same day

dunnigan jim
02-27-2009, 11:37 PM
So is the limit for Kokes 3 ? With 3 in poss. We are planing on getting the extra pole stamp too..

Petty4life
02-27-2009, 11:50 PM
So is the limit for Kokes 3 ? With 3 in poss. We are planing on getting the extra pole stamp too..

limit is 3 period.

Propnut69
02-28-2009, 12:43 AM
If you get caught with 3 koke and 3 more in poss,then some one going to get a big ole ticket, 3 is the limit.If you consume one,then you are allowed to go catch and keep one more. Consume all three,then you allowed to catch and keep three more.

Stanson
02-28-2009, 02:11 AM
so you have a big old fish-fry every day so when you go home you can take three koks and two trout to take home

Bduck
02-28-2009, 11:54 AM
I like doing alot of C & R. I do bring in my limits but I make sure that C & R doesn't go over that. Whats a better way to spend a full day fishing and catching alot of Kokes.

Fallriverguy
03-01-2009, 01:16 PM
So can you still C&R with a limit on board? What if you process the fish such a filleting a freezing? Some places I have fished don't count processed fish as part of the limit.

FishHunter
03-01-2009, 01:57 PM
So can you still C&R with a limit on board? What if you process the fish such a filleting a freezing? Some places I have fished don't count processed fish as part of the limit.

It doesn't matter how they are processed, 3 fish is 3 fish no matter what. If you have more than three fish in possession per person with a valid fishing license (see Petty's post above) they consider it poaching and it gets real expensive real fast.

Fallriverguy
03-01-2009, 04:07 PM
Thanks for the clarification.

Stanson
03-01-2009, 05:40 PM
For all you fishing from out of State, you can log onto the DFG in both states and read up on the 2009 fishing REG. THAT WAY!! you will not have any excuce about the limits and other issues. I think you can buy your fishing lic in Utah online if you ever have fished or hunted in Utah they will have your Name on file so you can print it out and your ready to go you will need to still get one of those Recip. stamps for Wy. so you can fish both sides of the gorge is there a state line for the gorge is that called the pipe line or is close to the pipe line

Kokaholic
03-01-2009, 11:06 PM
I would be very very careful about doing C and R with a limit of three kokes in the boat. What if you really hooked up a koke that you just couldnt release? Then what? Also, I wouldnt want to take my chances trying to convince a new, green, Fish and game officer that I was only doing C and R with this limit in my boat.

Also, Just food for thougt. In July and August, the surface temps at the gorge get warm. As these kokes are caught, faught and brought up and landed, it places a great deal of strain on them. We all need to take great care in releaseing these fish back to the water so that they dont end up floating up later after we have trolled off a few miles and we cant see them.

Ok........ I am not telling you to not catch and release! I am just asking, and i am sure that most of you will agree, To take some pride and care in releaseing our favorite fish back to the water. This will help to insure that we all help to take care of this great fishery that we have at the gorge!

tin can
04-26-2009, 01:01 PM
Hello forum thanks for the info. I had a question, if you are fishing on a Wyoming license in the Utah part of the lake would I need to buy a Utah second pole stamp to go with a Wyoming license. thanks. After a little research the answer is YES

Ryno
04-27-2009, 10:46 AM
Also, Just food for thougt. In July and August, the surface temps at the gorge get warm. As these kokes are caught, fought and brought up and landed, it places a great deal of strain on them. We all need to take great care in releaseing these fish back to the water so that they dont end up floating up later after we have trolled off a few miles and we cant see them.

Ok........ I am not telling you to not catch and release! I am just asking, and I am sure that most of you will agree, to take some pride and care in releasing our favorite fish back to the water. This will help to insure that we all help to take care of this great fishery that we have at the Gorge!

I agree Kokaholic. Last summer, while fishing up near Holmes Crossing I saw some floaters as well as down in the Canyon on periodic trips. I personally feel we lose far more kokes do to poor catch and release tactics than we are aware of. As you know, kokes are pretty soft mouthed and hard fighters, which is going to have some serious impacts when hauling them up from 50-60ft of water. Water temps at that depth during the summer are going to be in the low 40s. Surface temps are going to be in the upper 60s- lower 70s. That's a huge temp change, which could effect their physiology.

I took a personal survey of the fish I saw boated last year. Not once did I see a sign of hooking scars in kokanee, like you commonly do with lake trout and rainbows and kokes have the softest mouths. I wonder if mortality is higher than we want to think with C&R kokanee, which could impact the population. If I catch my (our) limit of kokes, I shift gears and try and target lake trout or rainbows, or start chasing smallmouth bass. Good C&R tactics or targeting a different species is something to watch and consider while we're out there fishing a population we want to preserve. Thanks for bringing up a good point, Ryno

FISH
04-29-2009, 10:48 PM
go barbless it helps a ton and try not to use a net i use #2-#4gamakatsus and only use one never tye doubles unless ur meat huntin most fish you can shake off at the boat and never have to touch them.ash