PDA

View Full Version : Apex Trolling Lures vs Pro-troll Lures

Bduck
02-27-2009, 10:33 AM
How do you rate using Apex lures against Pro-troll lures? Pro-troll has that E- Chip technology which I'm not sure If it makes it any better than Apex. Pro-Troll seems to have cornered the market on how to send or adjust electrical voltage to your presentation. I have checked my my voltage without using the Blackbox and found that the key to this is making sure your all of your voltage connections are correct. No corrosion and good grounds. Is Pro-Troll adding too much technology into lures with the E-Chip?

SuperD
02-27-2009, 10:46 AM
E-Chip not withstanding, the 2 lures, while looking the same, don't have the same action, IMO.

wahoohunter
02-27-2009, 01:31 PM
I was just thinking about the same thing-great minds must really work the same-lol.
To me, like SuperD said, IMO the is a difference in action and I like the idea of the third hole in the Pro-troll.
But, I wonder about the E chip. I was reading about the E-chip and as I
understand it, the whole idea of the chip, is that it "replicates the voltage discharged by the nervous system of live bait" which mimics wounded baitfish to attract predators such as mackinaw, browns and rainbows.
But, these are the same type of fish that eat our beloved Kokes.
Since survival in nature depends on being alert to surroundings, why would Kokes want to hang out in an area where they have learned their food chain enemies may be?
So the bottom line is that this is why I'm thinking of "popping" the chip off of the Pro-troll and trying them like that.
Anyway, that's my 2 cents worth.

SilverBullets
02-27-2009, 03:52 PM
From what I have found after mainly useing these 2 exact lures over the past 6 years every weekend throughout the kok season is that the catch rate is close to the same, day in and day out. My opinion on the "e" chip is that it's more of a sales gimmick. I have seen days where one lure will out perform the other though, just depends on what action they prefer each day, and what speed your trolling...seems like a mph either way will give them a different action, and some days they will go for one over the other. Where I fish the water is very clear, and the koks like a slow speed, so I use a longer and lighter leader. After years of useing these 2 lures on each side of the boat, the majority of the time in my experience is the catch rate is equal. I had one day last year though where we had EVERYTHING on each side of the boat EXACTLY the same, other than one was a hot spot, the other a pro-troll. On one pass, in around 20 minutes the pro-troll got 5 fish to nothing on the hot spot side. That has never happened to us before in 6 years of fishing with these...it was definitely an exception.

windriver
02-27-2009, 08:51 PM
I fish FG fairly consistantly, and have found that the Apex's perform as well or better than the Pro Troll. I do sometimes use a Pro-Troll dodger ahead of an Apex and do well. I find that you catch them on what you catch them on. You can spend all you want on tackle (as I do), but as with any fishing it is always a white jig!

Bduck
02-28-2009, 11:47 AM
I have used both Pro-Troll & Apex and feel they are closely equal. I have removed the E-Chip and its still productive. I feel just making sure your voltage is within range and you should do good no matter what your presentation is. I also don't think the Black Box is not a necessity. thumbsup

SilverBullets
02-28-2009, 04:21 PM
Has anyone had much success with the pro-troll kok killers with the slow speed rigging option? I've tried them out, but have had better luck trolling the regular ones at around 1.2-1.6 mph.
Something to try out is adjusting the hook set back. Had good results with the hooks trailing 6 inches in back of the lure last year.thumbsup

Fallriverguy
03-04-2009, 02:39 PM
I like the Apex better and think they more more erratic action. I have a few times when the Protroll was productive. I have not noticed any benefit to the echip.

SB, I retie the Apex with more separation between the hooks. I don't like the way the hooks overlap straight out of the package.

Kokonuts
03-04-2009, 03:23 PM
I confess to not using either one very much. BUT I now have several & plan to use them more this year!

And just to add to the mix I bought several WEE TADS which are similar. Have any of you tried them? tooexcited

SuperD
03-04-2009, 03:36 PM
I confess to not using either one very much. BUT I now have several & plan to use them more this year!

And just to add to the mix I bought several WEE TADS which are similar. Have any of you tried them? tooexcited

I use Lyman Lures which are essentially the same as a Wee Tad. If you get board of catching Kokes, put a Wee Tad on naked and the Rainbows slam them like a Mack Truck.

SilverBullets
03-04-2009, 03:49 PM
I have a collection of wee tads, but have only tried them when things were slow. One thing you might consider is to give them a couple more coats of top coat. I have a few that the paint came off of pretty quickly, seemed the surface didn't get prepped before the finish was applied. I haven't had much success with them rigged through the front hole, so will re-rig through the top hole this year.
FRG, what speed do you run your apex's?

Fallriverguy
03-04-2009, 04:09 PM
Oh, probably too slow at 1.2-1.4 mph. I usually fish an Apex on one side and a spinner or hoochie on the other. With the dodger I use I can't troll much faster. But, in I use the sling blade type dodger I could speed up the troll.