PDA

View Full Version : Marine Radio's

Bduck
02-26-2009, 10:21 PM
If you have a marine radio in your boat, what channels do you use or monitor while your taking care of your passion? I installed one more recently and haven't had a chance to ops check it other than the weather bands. Is there certain channels for the different lakes or are they pretty much the same? I have used CB's in my vehicles for over 30 yrs. I installed a Uniden Solara with a 8' fiber glass antennae. If channels are different for the many lakes, do we need to put together a listing for this or maybe designate a KFF channel?

MackPrince
02-26-2009, 10:26 PM
Great question Bduck, I had the same thought over the weekend.

Petty4life
02-26-2009, 10:34 PM
If you have a marine radio in your boat, what channels do you use or monitor while your taking care of your passion? I installed one more recently and haven't had a chance to ops check it other than the weather bands. Is there certain channels for the different lakes or are they pretty much the same? I have used CB's in my vehicles for over 30 yrs. I installed a Uniden Solara with a 8' fiber glass antennae. If channels are different for the many lakes, do we need to put together a listing for this or maybe designate a KFF channel?

most of us monotor and call out on 16 and them move to 68 or 69

Kokaholic
02-26-2009, 11:40 PM
The State parks officers monitor Channel 16. This is also the same with all of the Marinas at the Gorge

Along with what Petty said for all the rest of us.

SuperD
02-26-2009, 11:48 PM
If you google VHF channels, you'll find that many of the channels are for commercial use only. Chanel 16 is considered a hailing channel. In CA, we pretty much keep it on 69 all the time for lakes.

Bduck
02-27-2009, 01:04 AM
Appreciate the input, the gov. is always monitoring VHF freqs. I didn't know how much commercial takes up the airwaves. There was a time when you had to have a call sign thru the FCC for CB's. I use to have one. There use to be a fee of I think $25.00 for about a 5yr registration. That was done away with back in the early 80's. CB's are good but getting to cluttered. Channel 16, 38, & 39 sound just fine. But still open to the idea for a designated channel for KFF. I sure we can make one work somewhere maybe not 16. When you think of commercial use, you would think more of the coastal regions and Great Lakes where there are large industries. Inland smaller bodies of water would not be as cluttered. But its only an idea.

Kokaholic
02-27-2009, 08:28 AM
There is only a small amount of folks that have the vhf radios on our boats. I really only use mine at The gorge. However I have used it at Powell, willard and Bear lake. But mainly the gorge.

smokepoles
02-27-2009, 10:10 AM
yes, we're generally on 16 as a call out channel at the gorge or Powell or willard.

Full_Monte
02-27-2009, 10:22 AM
Does anyone use the handheld CB walkie talkies? We've found that they work well on lakes...especially between the boat and camp. The newer ones claim 18 mile range.

SuperD
02-27-2009, 10:29 AM
Nothing gets under my skin more than the guys that get on the radio and feel that they have to talk in sign language. I'm part of another fishing forum community and when we have fishing events, it is all about sharing information. No secret code. If I'm catching fish, I don't mind letting others know where and what on.

dunnigan jim
02-27-2009, 11:18 AM
YUP Like Superd said . If i'm catching fish on something that is working i let others know. We made a few spinner set ups that was a hot item at Berryessa a few yrs. back and gave them to the guys .. Makes me feel good to see others catch fish. it's called being a sportsman.

AFDan52
02-28-2009, 12:32 AM
Ok, so just what would be a Good radio to have onboard? I am looking for for suggestions.movie

Propnut69
02-28-2009, 12:37 AM
I can understand both sides of the coin,when it comes to giving out the who,what ,where ,when ,why's . Some people feel that ,because they have spent the time, and the money to learn .they will keep that information to themselves. That is certainty their right to do that. I will always do what I can to help someone if I'm approached in the right manner. If someone asks me at the ramp ,or in the parking lot what was working that day for me.I will do my best to help them. But i will NEVER blurt out that kind of info on the VHF.

Speaking of VHF's as it been said already ,here at the gorge we use ch 16 for hailing ,then switch to a side channel.Usually 68 or 26,depends on who I'm talking too.One of my biggest pet peeves when it comes to talking on a vhf. Are the people that talk on it,like it a CB radio. I don't think it to much to ask for people to learn the basic procedures when talking on vhf.

SuperD
02-28-2009, 01:28 AM
propnut, please explain your philosophy for not sharing on the radio? Just curious.

Propnut69
02-28-2009, 11:35 PM
propnut, please explain your philosophy for not sharing on the radio? Just curious.

Because to many times I have told someone on the radio ,what was working for me,and where I was was. Only to have ten other boats move in on top of me.

Fallriverguy
03-01-2009, 01:30 PM
Not a lot of people I know have radios in Oregon. When I am fishing with friends we tend to use Ch 78.

FishHunter
03-01-2009, 01:45 PM
Because to many times I have told someone on the radio ,what was working for me,and where I was was. Only to have ten other boats move in on top of me.

I've had the same problem. I have no problem sharing info back at the ramp, parking lot, or camp. But I don't say much over the radio because the crowd triples when info like that is shared at the Gorge.

Full_Monte
03-01-2009, 02:15 PM
A big radio is another thing to get wet on my small boat. The handheld CB works fine for basic communication with the wives back at camp.

Bduck
03-02-2009, 01:43 PM
A big radio is another thing to get wet on my small boat. The handheld CB works fine for basic communication with the wives back at camp. Don't forget your real leash, your wife has your cell number. She knows where you are at all times.laugh hyst

Full_Monte
03-02-2009, 03:10 PM
Ha! Got ya! I don't have a cell phone. The wife does. On my last job, I learned to hate cell phones because of the "leash" effect. Life's complicated enough without another leash on my neck.

twisted lines
03-02-2009, 03:29 PM

Can you think of a way to use that to your advantage? laugh hyst

SuperD
03-02-2009, 04:54 PM
My experience at the Gorge was all we had to do was swing the net a few times and we were a boat magnet. laugh hyst

Bduck
03-02-2009, 05:56 PM
Don't forget about the talk about radios that can be purchased cheaply. When they started making TALK ABOUTS, they had women or(your wife) on their minds. laugh hyst

SmokeOnTheWater
03-29-2009, 04:27 PM
Hi All

A standard radio channel for KFF sounds GREAT! I've only had mine for two years and have been instructed to monitor CH 16 and then switch to another channel so as not to tie up the hailing frequency. Geez, sounds like Star Trek!

One aspect to considder when shopping for a radio. Don't just focus on radio price until you factor in the price of a MATCHING antenna. READ the owners manual of the radio and note the decible output during transmission. You'll need to insure the antenna is rated for the same output. Most store salespeople don't know and don't take the time to understand the products they sell. Case in point, I bought my radio, a Lowrance, from Sportsman's Warehouse on sale but guess what, they don't sell antennas or connectors. I ended up researching the web for a compatible antenna and finally ordered a Shakepeare from Cabelas. The entire communication package cost about $225 when all was said and done. Oh yeah, I paid $80 for the radio.

I can almost read your minds!crymeariver

Guess again, It works GREAT though, NO PROBLEMS!thumbsup

SmokeOnTheWater

Sportfishinsteve
03-30-2009, 01:07 PM

What some of the posts have eluded to and is most important is that Channel 16 is an emergency channel monitored by a lot of agencies including State Parks, Park Rangers, Coast Guard and Auxilliary boats. It's used primarily for assistance or emergencies, but you are allowed to hail other boats than go to another channel to chat. You are NOT allowed to have a general conversation on that channel. Personaly, I monitor 16 as well as weather and several other channels. I really believe in a good marine band radio being on a boat. I've answered dozens of calls over the years for boaters in distress or in an emergency. When buying a radio, you should get the one that has an emergency switch that sends a signal to the agencies if you are in distress.
Can't even imagine being on the water without a radio.

Bduck
12-20-2009, 06:22 PM
Here is an update by way of a chart for how the channels are used. During the challenge last year at the Gorge, I was able to transmit out but was not receiving on channel 26 that everyone agreed to use. Its a ship to shore freq and not a ship to ship freq.

Kokaholic
12-20-2009, 08:05 PM
I really had to wonder too. When I tried to go up and talk on the higher channels during the challenge and other times, I had no luck, But if I stayed down around 12-18, I was ok. wierd.

SmokeOnTheWater
12-20-2009, 08:49 PM
I think we should just pick one of the the single digit channels (1-9, -8) and call it the KFF Channel. I can't remember big numbers! I don't know why no-one wanted to talk last year, the radio seemed to be quiet most of the day. I was open for any tips cause I got skunked that day and went to bed hungry.
crymeariver

We should create a list of KFF members upon registration (day of the Challenge) just so we know who's on the water.

SuperD
12-21-2009, 02:39 PM
Us west coasters run ch. 68 & ch. 69 for all our fresh water stuff. If traffic is too high and we want to share secrets, we'll flip to ch. 72.

gonefishing
12-27-2009, 09:12 PM
After only having a VHF on my boat last year, I am now adding a new CB. I never heard anything on my VHF a full week out on the water at the gorge.

If I had got into trouble, it could have been challenging to say the least.

Especially on one day with real rough water in the later afternoon. Anyway, I certanly appreciate everyones input on subjects such as this one.

This forum is extremely informative with an great deal of experience shared here so generously.

Lastley, if I want to see whats working out there( fishing), I pull out the telescope!nananana I have to beally bored though to do that!tooexcited

Bduck
12-27-2009, 09:30 PM
After only having a VHF on my boat last year, I am now adding a new CB. I never heard anything on my VHF a full week out on the water at the gorge.

If I had got into trouble, it could have been challenging to say the least.

Especially on one day with real rough water in the later afternoon. Anyway, I certanly appreciate everyones input on subjects such as this one.

This forum is extremely informative with an great deal of experience shared here so generously.

Lastley, if I want to see whats working out there( fishing), I pull out the telescope!nananana I have to beally bored though to do that!tooexcited

If the telescope is on me, you'll see me at my finest, beer in hand. :rolleyes:

SuperD
12-27-2009, 10:06 PM
I've been told CB's are illegal on the water as VHF's are illegal on land. I doubt that there is any enforcement of that, but that's what I've heard.

macscabin
12-28-2009, 05:30 AM
I think CB's are legal on water but VHF is illegal to use land to land but not land to water

Bduck
12-28-2009, 08:41 AM
Subpart D—Citizens Band (CB)
Radio Service § 95.402 (CB Rule 2) How do I use
these rules?
(a) You must comply with these rules
(See CB Rule 21 § 95.421, for the penalties
for violations) when you operate
a station in the CB Service from:
(1) Within or over the territorial limits
of places where radio services are
regulated by the FCC (see CB Rule 5,
§ 95.405);
(2) Aboard any vessel or aircraft registered
in the United States; or
(3) Aboard any unregistered vessel or
aircraft owned or operated by a United
States citizen or company.
(b) Your CB station must comply
with technical rules found in subpart E
of part 95. (f) Where the rules use the term ‘‘CB
station’’, that means a radio station
transmitting in the CB Radio Service. § 95.405 (CB Rule 5) Where may I operate
my CB station?
You are authorized to operate your
CB station from:
(a) Within or over any area of the
world where radio services are regulated
by the FCC. Those areas are within
the territorial limits of:
(1) The fifty United States.
(2) The District of Columbia. (c) An aircraft or ship, with the permission
of the captain, within or over
any area of the world where radio services
are regulated by the FCC or upon
or over international waters. You must
operate your CB station according to
any applicable treaty to which the
United States is a party. These rules are taken from FCC Rules part 95 http://www.fcc.gov/Bureaus/Engineering_Technology/Documents/cfr/1998/47cfr95.pdf Hope these shortened paragraphs explain enough.

3RivrFishr
01-02-2010, 12:34 PM
As I understand it you are not supposed to use your marine radio to transmit unless you are actually on the water. Does anyone on a lake really care unless you are abusing the air waves? Probably not.

SmokeOnTheWater
03-17-2010, 07:46 PM
Enough! 101chromefish101
The soft water season is upon us and we still haven't resolved this issue. I quickly skimmed over all the posts and have concluded that EVERYONE that has a radio listens to channel 16. As stated many times, channel 16 is an EMERGENCY CHANNEL and we shouldn't be using it to call our friends and fellow KFFers.

The Proposal: Let's make Channel 20 the Official KFF frequency.

We can monitor this throughout the day without attracting all the traffic on the lake. Most everyone will continue to monitor channel 16 but those of us in the know. Yeah, we'll get some of the non-KFFers tuning in but so what. Now that I've been on this forum for a little over a year and I am able to recognize many of the call signs. We should be able to just pick and choose who we want to talk to. We do that now anyway.

I'll get the ball rolling: PM me and I'll build a list that you'll be able to print and stash in your boat. Get your name on the list now, the fish are biting!

KFF User Name ----- VHF Call Sign

SmokeOnTheWater ----- SmokeOnTheWater

3RivrFishr
03-17-2010, 08:13 PM
I dont think I've ever seen anyone resurrect a thread that everybody seemed to have had enough of that hasnt had a post for 3 months then start the post by saying enough!

Thats funny right there.

SmokeOnTheWater
03-17-2010, 09:28 PM
Just trying to do my part. I hate seeing things go unfinished.

Kokaholic
03-17-2010, 10:45 PM
Kokaholic and Kokaholic

Propnut69
03-17-2010, 10:51 PM
Propnut= "Tim's toy"

Petty4life
03-18-2010, 02:21 AM
Petty4life---The Husker

justfish
03-18-2010, 09:07 AM
justfish --- redlight

onlychild
03-18-2010, 05:00 PM
if your radio has a scan button you can punch in several channels and it will scan them and stop on that channel when someone is talking

Bduck
03-18-2010, 06:43 PM
101hearye Bduck here

sawtooth
03-18-2010, 08:50 PM
Sawtooth----Sawtooth

SmokeOnTheWater
03-18-2010, 11:28 PM
Keep em coming! The list is growing.

List will be made available April 15.

Updates are always WELCOME!

macscabin
03-19-2010, 05:20 AM
macscabin = macscabin

SuperD
03-19-2010, 01:13 PM
I answer to many things like, "Hey, the blue boat that's catching all the fish!" signfishin

But "SuperDave" is my standard call name.

onlychild
03-19-2010, 09:07 PM
so anyone decide on a KFF channel?

SmokeOnTheWater
03-19-2010, 11:53 PM
Go back to post #36 or just monitor Channel 20. So, you got a handle?

onlychild
03-20-2010, 11:32 AM
Onlychild- Our Onlychild

lowe1648mt
03-31-2010, 12:48 AM
I carry an Icom hand held radio. As for wet, I store it in a zip-lock bag and when not in use, it is in a storage tub. It's nice to have for weather and good for emergencies.

Propnut69
04-13-2010, 10:16 AM
I'm posting this for my friend............ D-Weed= G-man give him a holler......

BROWNBAGGER
05-05-2010, 03:16 PM
great thread. The last two things I have to install in my boat is a vhf and the new i-pilot electric motor.(side note) which I'm glad I put off until now, looks like a sweet unit. anyway, lowe1648 how does that hand held unit work? I have a hand held cb, and it does't work worth beans inside a vehicle. I have been shopping for units and noticed hand helds only produce 5 watts of power and mount units transmit 25. question to all, is the hand held 5 watt'r enough for the gorge?

sorry for being late, I love to research for Ideas

if I could be added..

BROWN BAGGER = BROWN BAGGER

SuperD
05-05-2010, 03:32 PM
question to all, is the hand held 5 watt'r enough for the gorge?
Only if you want to talk to your fishing buddy in the boat next to you. If you have room for a mounted unit and an 8' antenna, you are strongly urged to go that direct over a hand held. For people that fish larger water, I do recommend the hand held as a back up but not a primary.

SmokeOnTheWater
05-06-2010, 09:52 PM
Working on a printable version of the Call Sign List. Limitations to size has me extremely confused! Hopefully by tomorrow? Sorry for the delay.

lowe1648mt
05-06-2010, 11:43 PM
To Brown Bagger- I don't use it often. all my calls are to freinds on the lake -I'm on None too large. The main use I put mine to is to keep track of the weather. Being from Michigan, I don't want storms sneeking up on me. Been there, done that. I can recieve the Coast Guard thirty mile inland. I can recieve weather stations anywhere, even in Yellowstone N.P.
Cell phone as back-up, also spotty. Never really needed help.

SmokeOnTheWater
05-08-2010, 09:58 AM
Here's the 1st Draft, It's a start. Right click on the attachment then select print.

froggie
05-08-2010, 03:55 PM
Tortuga & I have a radio on board. We usually use 69 or sometimes 68 here in CA. Add us to your call list: Froggie & Tortuga! 40 days t'il we get to the Gorge, but who's counting LOL!!!
I LOVE the idea of setting aside Ch 20 for FG because 20 is my lucky number!!!
Froggie

SmokeOnTheWater
05-08-2010, 10:27 PM
You're On the list! Hopefully your call signs are the same? Let me know otherwise. What are your dates for the Gorge trip?

froggie
05-09-2010, 12:24 AM
Call signs are the same: Froggie & Tortuga. We'll be arriving on June 17-24th. Staying at Buckboard Marina/RV...we are both So-o-o-o stoked.
Froggie