PDA

View Full Version : Good avg koke out west??

Kokanee Killer
02-25-2009, 11:27 AM
ok guys, just what is really a nice avg length koke out west?? now i know each state or lake for that matter has diff sizes strains etc ca, mt, ut,wa co etc,but what size is a good avg..btw you guys truly have some monsters out west tooexcited

Bduck
02-25-2009, 11:44 AM
The official Utah state record was set in 1995 at Strawberry Reservoir weighing in at 6lb 0oz, 25in length with a 16in girth. Nice one. I've caught a lot in the 3lb range at Flaming Gorge. I've yet to fish Strawberry which I will this on coming season. I have a heart for the Gorge.

Fallriverguy
02-25-2009, 01:32 PM
It does depend on the lake, but a few lakes in Oregon have average lengths between 14 and 16 inches. I consider a 16 inch fish to be a nice one. Bigger than that is gravy.

vvBob
02-25-2009, 03:17 PM
An 18" Koke here in Northern Calif, is a very nice fish.

Kokanee Kid
02-25-2009, 05:10 PM
The Washington State record is 6.25 lbs Lake Roosevelt, Grant Co. June 26, 2003. Our state is two sided, the wet side(west) and the dry side(east). There are some places on the dry side I'd like to fish but have not, yet. All I can speak of is from my experiance. All the lakes I fish so far are all planted with kokanee, and I would say an avreager is 12". There are a few seasons where the average will go from 13"-14". There is also other bodies of water where the average will differ. Like my favorite lil honey hole last year the average was 14 1/2" with the biggest at 16 1/2" thumbsup

dunnigan jim
02-25-2009, 06:28 PM
As vvbob said 18" here in ca. is a nice koke. The biggest i have gotten to the net was 18 1/2". Caught that one at Berryessa in aug. 08.. I'm sure the ones that got off before i could net them were a LOT BIGGER.. I'm planing on catching my first 3-4# at the gorge this yr.

MackPrince
02-25-2009, 07:40 PM
Right on Kid. I agree in WA the average is about 12"-14". On occasion last year I bagged a few that were 18"+ but it was not typical. Last year they were running big as seen in this photo. The pliers are 6", and the rod handle measures 15" as a reference.

SuperD
02-25-2009, 09:54 PM
An 18" Koke here in Northern Calif, is a very nice fish.

But by no means average for CA. If you caught a limit of 16" fish, you'd feel like you had a smokin day.

Kokanee Killer
02-25-2009, 10:24 PM
great fellas a great koke in ct where i fish mostly now is 16in last year i broke my all time record 17 1/2in but a typical avg is 14in up from 12 in 1980s-mid90 we had a freak year class of 2005 but i think that was a combination of things forage plus 3 years earlier ct had to get fertilized eggs from colorado blue mesa cause of poor returns from our honey hole anyway my buddies landed a few over the 20in mark i would love to had fished the lake that year but i still get excited at any koke they are all good

bobco
02-26-2009, 08:51 AM
Blue mesa cranks out 17-20" , every fall, 11-mile does a little better when healthy, we have a lake close by, Ridgeway, that the kokes run 10-12" after 4 years! no food for thoose poor fish.....

Kokanee Killer
02-26-2009, 09:28 AM
your right bobco a biologist in ct and a friend of mine said our kokes in ct mature 1 yr earlier,hence the blue mesa/roaring judy strain i believe matures 1 yr later than our ct strain, that would probably explain the 20in barrier in 2005,i even noticed diff in spawners in apperance esp males our ct spawner males were shorter more compressed,but the blue mesa strain appeared longer especially in the snout area i will post pics of my findings of these 2 i believe diff strains from the same lake now i have to go off to worktongue2

bobco
02-26-2009, 02:48 PM
your right bobco a biologist in ct and a friend of mine said our kokes in ct mature 1 yr earlier,hence the blue mesa/roaring judy strain i believe matures 1 yr later than our ct strain, that would probably explain the 20in barrier in 2005,i even noticed diff in spawners in apperance esp males our ct spawner males were shorter more compressed,but the blue mesa strain appeared longer especially in the snout area i will post pics of my findings of these 2 i believe diff strains from the same lake now i have to go off to worktongue2
so are you getting Blue Mesa eggs way back in CT? I wonder what the CDOW gets in exchange??
I have read that different kokes depending upon condition will spawn 3 year to 5th year.

jacksonlaker
02-26-2009, 07:14 PM
Kokanee killer, If you live in Pennsy and fish Connecticut, why dont you fish Lake Ontario or Erie. I know it's a 5 or6 hour drive, but you can catch kings or coho basicaly using the same methods for Kokanee...just think bigger lures. Spoons and dodger squid combos are the ticket. And no one told you but Gorge fish can go to 4lbs, even close to 5. Many in the 20"range. Flaming Gorge is one of the best fisheries in the country. I only live 3.5 hours away, but I dont get there often enough.

Kokanee Killer
02-26-2009, 10:27 PM
bobco i know they got eggs from co once to help us through but i believe since then the state has been self reliant on its own spawners to keep the fishing going

RC McKokanee
02-27-2009, 12:45 PM
i have fished whiskeytown lake here in upper northern calif for the past 6 years and going on my 7th. except for last year where the fish were dinks, only going 8 to 12 inches, with a few going to 14, i have consistently caught fish from 17 to 19 inches, with the largest fish caught on my boat at 21 inches and i'm sure it was over 3 lbs. for me i seem to catch the largest fish around july to sept. usually catching all my fish before 10 am, cause in summer here, you want to be off the water before noon because of all the water lice and very hot weather.