PDA

View Full Version : Respooling Line

Bduck
02-25-2009, 11:17 AM
How often do you change out line on your reels? I like to get at least 2 seasons on mine. But that all depends on how the line gets hammered. Such as, twisting-which I don't see too much of like I use to. Also, depends on debris floating around. Keeping it out of the weather while in between trips. How many trips your able to make in a season. With the SUPER lines that are out today, its gotten easier to maintain your line, but you stiil have to use caution in case you miss a nick somewhere and it always shows up at the wrong time.

SilverBullets
02-25-2009, 11:54 AM
I'm switching to 10lb Maxima mainline with around 15 feet of 8lb on the end on the Daiwa Accudepth AD17LC line counters after discovering how far off I was useing 8lb line. In the future, I think I'll just replace the 15 foot section of 8lb line every year. This line will get most of the abuse from attaching the clip while useing a short set back. I'm going to the 10lb main line for more accuracy while long lining early in the season. From everything I've read, koks aren't line shy...we'll see!

Fallriverguy
02-25-2009, 01:33 PM
I should do every year, but I usually do it every two years. I will remove the top 25 feet if I don't respool.

SuperD
02-25-2009, 03:03 PM
I never completely respool once I've got it full. But what typically happens is after a couple bird nests and snags, I pull off another 50 - 100 yards and splice in some new. All this attrition usually happens on a regular enough basis that counting by years isn't necessary.

vvBob
02-25-2009, 03:15 PM
Every year.....I'm not going to loose a fish of a life time because of rotted line.

dunnigan jim
02-25-2009, 06:45 PM
I use to change my line every yr when i used 4# line. Now that i use 8# i do it every 2 yrs. My new set ups for the gorge are spooled with 10# cajun line. Tica reels w/Lamiglas koke downrigger rods. I usually have 8to 10 rods with me on the boat because if i backlash i just grab another rod and fix the backlash later.

wahoohunter
02-25-2009, 07:51 PM
Every year for me-I figure the less that can go wrong, the better

Petty4life
02-25-2009, 08:04 PM
every 2yrs for me sometimes i replaced the reel before i replace the linelaugh hyst

FishHunter
02-25-2009, 11:46 PM
every 2yrs for me sometimes i replaced the reel before i replace the linelaugh hyst

I put enough line on my reels to strip off the last 75 to 100 yards each year to have fresh line. The last two years I have thrown three complete set-ups in the lake, I must not have had enough good line on the reels left to fish with laugh hyst

DC18FT
02-25-2009, 11:56 PM
I change out the line once a year. I like 8lb Maxima Ultra Green. I like to take all the line off so that I can wipe off my reels, lube and grease all parts.

Bryon

Ironhead
02-27-2009, 06:14 PM
Every year for sure. This is a cheap investment. $50 for 3300 yards, why have old line.

Ironhead

twisted lines
03-01-2009, 07:34 AM
Every year for sure. This is a cheap investment. $50 for 3300 yards, why have old line.

Ironhead

I too have purchased a large spool; and last year on a few of my spinning reals had lots of trouble with them twisting, loops coming out, I do fill them probably to full and will reduce that, have tried long lining to get the twists out, and they will all be re spooled, any easy cures? Some one told me to take the line off the end of the spool instead of spinning it? :confused:

Bduck
03-01-2009, 09:40 AM
A couple of yrs ago, I started taking my reels down to the Sportsmen's Warehouse to have them respooled. I have a backing put on first before the line goes on. I have about 300yds of 20lb braided line put on. The backing helps fill the spool and it's cost effective for the line you want to use. Also by using one of the Super braids, 20lbs looks thin like 6lb mono. Braided line is not as stiff as mono. I haven't had any trouble with twisting. The only thing I have to watch out for is bird nesting. That goes with level wind reels. Depending on reel size, you can use up a lot of line. The line that is sitting deep into the spool will be changed out and you probably didn't get to use it.

SuperD
03-01-2009, 11:10 AM
I too have purchased a large spool; and last year on a few of my spinning reals had lots of trouble with them twisting, loops coming out, I do fill them probably to full and will reduce that, have tried long lining to get the twists out, and they will all be re spooled, any easy cures? Some one told me to take the line off the end of the spool instead of spinning it? :confused:

The problems you are encountering leads me to believe you are using a spinning reel for trolling. Getting a small level wind would be the easly cure to your problem if that is the case. Trolling with a spinning reel is just asking for line problems.