PDA

View Full Version : Koke Cakes (patties/balls)

kokaine
02-25-2009, 10:48 AM
16 ounces of baked Kok. Split fish (2 or 3 pounder) into two pieces, don't worry about the bones at this point, and bake on cookie sheet or foil for 30 minutes, skin side down, at 300 degrees, (no seasonings, but very lightly sprayed with cooking oil spray) with smaller koke's it may take two fish. Allow fish to cool in fridge then carefully pull meat away from bones, almost getting a boneless meat. Pack Koke in measuring cup to ensure 16 ounces. Crumble, and put in bowl then add the following:

1) 1 complete bunch of green onions, very thin chopped (1/8th inch) getting about 1/3 of the greens also.
2) One egg.
3) 1/4 cup mustard.
4) teaspoon of Worchester Sauce.
5) 12 saltine crackers (put in baggie and pulverize before putting in bowl).
6) Dash of salt, pepper, and garlic salt.

Stir all the above in well with koke. Put about 1/4 inch of oil, no more, in pan and get medium hot (not smoking hot). Form koke mixure in your hand into golf ball sized balls. Now, pour 2 or three cups of corn meal onto a plate. Take koke ball in your hand and form one inch thick patties and carefully role in corn meal. I take the ball and scoop up corn meal in my hand as I'm making the pattie (it does not need to be perfectly round, just slightly pack on edges). Now place in medium hot oil. Flick a peice of fish into oil first to ensure it fries and then you'll know the oil is ready. Here's is the important part. DO NOT FLIP pattie or DISTRUB until golden brown on frying side. Then flip and fry other side until golden brown (not dark brown). Less than 10 minutes for the entire frying process but watch carefully.

Serve this with mashed potato, and corn on the cob, and even preferably with some hushpuppies.

Alternative, cook balls rolled in corn meal without making them into patties. Just need to ensure the balls are completely covered in oil when frying. Use smaller/narrow, but deeper pan for this method. There going to be hot so watch your tongue. tongue2

Try them out and make any adjustments to your liking.

SuperD
02-25-2009, 11:25 AM
I like to use the herb flavored bread crumbs in the mix and then egg wash and coat with crumbs one last time before frying.

SuperD
09-04-2009, 01:01 PM
Koke patties on the menu for this weekend and it will be the last of the Flaming Gorge kokes in the freezer until next summer.

I've come up with a spicey horseradish & tabassco tartar sauce that's the bomb.

1 cup mayo
1/3 cup finely chopped red onion
1/4 cup sweet pickle relish
1 TBSP of horseradish (or heat to taste)
1/2 tsp of tabassco

3RivrFishr
09-05-2009, 01:47 PM
Koke patties on the menu for this weekend and it will be the last of the Flaming Gorge kokes in the freezer until next summer.

I've come up with a spicey horseradish & tabassco tartar sauce that's the bomb.

1 cup mayo
1/3 cup finely chopped red onion
1/4 cup sweet pickle relish
1 TBSP of horseradish (or heat to taste)
1/2 tsp of tabassco

That sounds awesome.

Try subing the horseradish for a tsp of liquid smoke, adding some chipotle peppers and using a tsp of Franks or Texas Petes instead of tobasco and a cayenne depending on how hot you need it. Makes a delicious Southwest Chipotle sauce. I use it as a spread for burgers and as a fry sauce.

salmonster
03-31-2010, 08:28 AM
We tried the kokanee cakes last night. I slightly modified the recipe by adding lemon juice and cayenne. I made one batch with kokanee and one batch with some albacore I had left over from a trip to the coast last year.
Delicious!

Thanks

onlychild
03-31-2010, 04:22 PM
I smoke most of our sring kokes then can (bottle) the rest.. smoked kokes crumble fish -mix with cream-cheese rollin shelled sunflower seeds. two differnt sizes for canned pint jars & half pint same recipes except half pint has habanero peppers -koke garlic,hot@spicy v-8 pepper mix (hot shot) onion ,jalapeno in lrg.pressure cooker 15lbs. for 1hr.45min. half pints and a cold one big time croud fav. pint bottles make the best tunafish(kokefish) you have ever had for pattys drain juice make patty bread crumbs & fry or put on top of salads once its canned it is very versatile and doesnt need to be refrigerated as the acid in the v-8 doesnt allow bacteria to go and can last years (but it doesnt).

SuperD
03-31-2010, 06:33 PM
Art,
Check out my post on canning Kokes and please add your recipes.

Dave

eenakoK
03-31-2010, 06:52 PM
You all are making me hungry. I am going to keep these ready after I get some fish. These recipes sound great! Thanks!

onlychild
03-31-2010, 08:28 PM
This one will knock your socks off - 2 fillets boneless & skinless 1 package cream cheese room temp (softend) zest of half an orange two jalapeno this amount is not hot chop peppers very fine and mix with orange zest and creamcheese spread this on one fillet about 1/2" thick place other fillet on top. now drizzle olive oil on both sides spread itialin bread crumbs with freshground (not the shaker can)parmagan cheese on both sides wrap in foil place on B.B.Q on med.-to med low for about 10 min. per side it sounds like a long tine to cook fish but this should be about 3in. thick( gorge kokes) this will turn out with a nice crust and hot and gooie cheese inside turns a healthy fish dish into a little piece of K.F.F. heaven enjoy