PDA

View Full Version : How many hooks can you use on a line?

Full_Monte
02-24-2009, 12:40 PM
I'm a bit confused about this issue. I know that different states may have different rules. Here in California, the rule seems to be two hooks are allowed on a line. Does a double-hook combination count as two hooks, or as one, given that they are so close to each other? If I run a flat fish with four treble hooks on it, is it illegal? If I run two stacked lures on one line with a treble hook on each, is that two hooks?

Fallriverguy
02-24-2009, 02:19 PM
In Oregon we can use 3 hooks per line. A tandem hook set-up counts for two. I have run three separate single hook lures on one line. A guy has do what a guy has to do when he can't fish two rods.

Full_Monte
02-27-2009, 09:40 PM
Thanks, Fall River Guy..

I guess this topic is not the most read, but everybody needs to know this stuff.
There's nothing like getting ticketed by the F&G...

Full_Monte
02-28-2009, 09:25 AM
I found this online on the Calfornia F&G website:

(a) All fish may be taken only by angling with
one closely attended rod and line or one hand
line with not more than three hooks nor more
than three artificial lures (each lure may have
three hooks attached) attached thereto. Anglers
in possession of a valid two-rod stamp and
anglers under 16 years of age may use up to two
rods in inland waters which regulations provide
for the taking of fish by angling, except those
waters in which only artificial lures or barbless
hooks may be used. See District Trout, Salmon
and Special regulations for exceptions.*

Does anyone know if a treble hook counts as one hook, or does it count as three?

wahoohunter
02-28-2009, 11:26 AM
I've always been of the understanding that here in CA, a treble is one hook.
I can only find an official definition of a hook in the salt water regs but I'm sure it's the same for fresh water.
Anyway, a phone call to the local DFG office would probably help to clear it up. After all, they're the guys who hand out the tickets-lol.
"(d) Method of take: Not more than two hooks and one line. For purposes of this section, a hook is a single hook, or a double or treble hook with multiple points connected to a common shank."
Hope this helps.

Full_Monte
02-28-2009, 01:29 PM
Wahoo...

Good find. I didn't see that same section. I have some flatfish lures that have four treble hooks on them. By the definition you gave, I guess they aren't legal to use in California.

Fallriverguy
03-01-2009, 01:37 PM
In Oregon a trebble hook is considered a single hook.