PDA

View Full Version : What is your one surprise Kokanee lure?

Fallriverguy
02-23-2009, 04:56 PM
There are some lures, or colors, that I think from my perspective, should not work for Kokanee. My one surprise lure last year was a black hoochie with a single stripe of glow. A buddy tried it one day because he never had. I thought to myself that is surely would not work. Low a behold, it was the hot lure that day. Several other trips I played around with several black and white combinations and they all worked.

what is one lure/color that you did not expect to work and later found that it did?

Stanson
02-23-2009, 05:26 PM
violinquestion for you what is the world record Kokanee and were was it caught and what was the lure used this will take some reserch for you you can find it within the kokanee forum for the answer good luck
Stan
Sacramento Ca.

SilverBullets
02-23-2009, 05:46 PM
violinquestion for you what is the world record Kokanee and were was it caught and what was the lure used this will take some reserch for you you can find it within the kokanee forum for the answer good luck
Stan
Sacramento Ca.

June 18, 1988
Okanagan Lake, B.C.
9lb,6oz Kokanee
Lure...Black/Pearl Apex
Great question FRG. I discovered the same thing last year useing homemade spinners. Don't count out black, especially when used with other colors for contrast.

JusTrollin
02-23-2009, 08:06 PM
1/4 ounce rattletraps about 16" behind a 3/0 chrome dodger.Not only do the kokes hit them but rainbows,kings & the landlocked cohos at oroville.I dont change the hooks just run them right out of the box.My favorite is chrome,but I take a red & black sharpies & draw lines down the sides.Doesnt allways work but the fish you get are allways bigger.

JT

Kokonuts
02-23-2009, 08:14 PM
Wow, I never thought that black would be good! Thanks for the tip!

I just got a small order ot WEE TADS from Tomic in Canada. But no Black! laugh hyst
Have any of you used them very much?
They are similar to the Apex style but are round with a bevealed(?) nose. You run the leader through the body to the hooks. They also have 2 holes on the top for different trolling speeds.

Now , if I caught only one kokanee on every lure I have it would take the rest of my life & I could empty Lake Merwin!

laugh hyst Kokonuts laugh hyst

AFDan52
02-23-2009, 08:20 PM
I had never thought of using anything Black before.

SuperD
02-23-2009, 09:33 PM
Anything they hit on is a surprise for me! I act like it was the "first time" all over again!

SilverBullets
02-23-2009, 10:13 PM
I don't really think it's the color black that their attracted to, but the contrast it gives when used with other colors. Has anyone ever seen a color chart showing what happens to black as it goes down the water column? Probably not.
In my opinion, black mainly makes other colors stand out. If you look at certain lures and dodgers that do well for koks, alot of times these have contrasting black dots applied...watermelon for instance, and many of the new dodgers that have come out in the last couple years. Try alternating black beads with colored fluorescent or glow beads when making your homemade spinners...you might be in for a surprise!thumbsup

twisted lines
02-23-2009, 10:25 PM
I don't really think it's the color black that their attracted to, but the contrast it gives when used with other colors. Has anyone ever seen a color chart showing what happens to black as it goes down the water column? Probably not.
In my opinion, black mainly makes other colors stand out. If you look at certain lures and dodgers that do well for koks, alot of times these have contrasting black dots applied...watermelon for instance, and many of the new dodgers that have come out in the last couple years. Try alternating black beads with colored fluorescent or glow beads when making your homemade spinners...you might be in for a surprise!thumbsup

It's not black but it shure is dark! Hope it works.

Kokanee Killer
02-23-2009, 10:29 PM
thumbsupdont know bout you guys out west., but a 2 1/2 in pins minnow in rainbow trout color works for me a lotthumbsup

SilverBullets
02-23-2009, 10:33 PM
It's not black but it shure is dark! Hope it works.

Looking Good! You better start stocking up on wood chips for the smoker!
Another thought on the color black...it just might be that black in itself is a good contrast choice against the water color?

jacksonlaker
02-23-2009, 11:54 PM
Black lures work really well on dark, cloudy days. Hold a silver spoon and a black spoon up against a cloudy sky, which is easier to see ??? The black one. Most fish look up to feed so black on a white sky stands out. I would love to try some black hootchies. When I fished for salmon on Lake Ontario, we would always run black and purple spoons or black squids off chrome dodgers. The most effective J-plugs there were the ladder back ones, a blck line down the back of the lure.

Digi-Troller
02-24-2009, 12:59 AM
Another great time to use black is after run off when water clarity is an issue. Black is my go to color if the water is stained. Add some yellow with it, and thats just deadly. Now, for black hoochies, an RMT black uv hoochie is awesome on cloudy days. I've seen that little hoochie kill them lots of times on the Gorge.

So, back to the question at hand... what koke lure has surprised me? I'd have to say the RGT. I'd heard how great they were from many guys in California, but honestly I didnt believe the hype. Last year was my first year using them, and they were insane! Put a pink RGT behind a pink hyper plaid rmt dodger, and thats quite a combo! I was surprised because most of the time things never live up to the hype. This combo exceeded my expectations.

kokaine
02-24-2009, 10:21 AM
I'm hoping my investment in this lure will bring them in. Just got it, say hello if you pass me on the Gorge!

Hope the pic of the lure attaches!

rtito
02-24-2009, 10:46 PM
whats is the best way to smoke kokanee

SilverBullets
02-24-2009, 11:03 PM
whats is the best way to smoke kokanee

Check out the new Recipe's Forum. It can be found on the Main Category Page under "General Forums". You'll find alot of good smoking tips there... Hope that helpedthumbsup

Full_Monte
02-24-2009, 11:05 PM
I'm hoping my investment in this lure will bring them in. Just got it, say hello if you pass me on the Gorge!

Hope the pic of the lure attaches!

Well, maybe you ought to glue some holographic reflection tape to the bottom of it and attach a giant treble hook to the stern. Then all you'd have to do is find some corn big enough to match the size of the hook...

vvBob
02-25-2009, 03:23 PM
Two years ago at the Gorge my son & I were hammering them on a 2 1/2" Clown Pattern Rapala.
We were actually trolling for Rainbows, & couldn't keep the Kokes off. Did'nt happen again the rest of the trip.....

Fallriverguy
02-25-2009, 04:25 PM
A couple of years ago at Crescent lake a guy was trolling the shore line for Browns with a Rapala and caught two 17" Kokanee with it.