PDA

View Full Version : Water Clarity

Bduck
02-22-2009, 04:25 PM
Does anyone use a color selector for water clarity? Or is it mostly old school to throw everything at Kokes to find out what they hit. I heard pro's & con's on these devices but never found it in my budget to buy one. So that puts me old school. I like the challenge anyways to keep trying to find what they hit on. movie Roger (Bduck)

SilverBullets
02-23-2009, 01:21 PM
I've never used one, might be worth a try! Where I fish, water clarity is not a problem. The water is extremely clear, so I have to take that into account as far as leader lengths, lure finishes, and dodger choices.
I do use a device to measure water temperature that I attach to the downrigger ball to get readings every 5 feet. As far as deciding what color to go with, I just go by what color shows up best for the depth I'm fishing.

Fallriverguy
02-23-2009, 03:13 PM
I find myself using larger dodgers and shorter leaders in the local lakes that have less clarity. I have begun to play around with contrasting colors and have had some luck with that. Otherwise I throw the kitchen sink at them.

Bduck
02-23-2009, 03:18 PM
It appears that alot of the reservoirs and rivers in the west have clear water. This is one reason I don't have one. The only time our waters get 'murky' is either from heavy rains or snow melt down. I have fish in the upper midwest, Duluth, Minn. area to be exact, and some of their 10,000 lakes have a dirty look to them( a brown tint), even some of their rivers are that way. I lived in northern Alabama and parts of Tennessee and seen a little mix of everything. It must be something about that part of the country. But when you see the different colors, then maybe you can understand how a color selector might become useful.

Stanson
02-23-2009, 03:39 PM
Ok can you tell me what is a color selector and show me were you can get one.

Bduck
02-24-2009, 12:04 PM
Ok can you tell me what is a color selector and show me were you can get one.The right spelling for this product is Color C Lector. Shows which colors fish see at any depth and degree of water clarity, allowing the fisherman to choose the correct color of his presentation regardless of species he is targeting. This product can be purchased at most sporting stores, Bass Pro Shops, Cabelas, etc. Cabelas has one for about $120. I've done pretty good without one which allows me to use that $120 somewhere else.