PDA

View Full Version : Hook Flapper Attractor

briang
02-22-2009, 11:45 AM
What do you guys think of the little hook flapper thingies that come on most Luhr Jensen Needlefish spoon lures? To be more specific, I’m referring to the tiny Colorado blade that is attached to the same split ring as the rear hook. I usually remove it thinking it doesn’t add much benefit. Does anybody swear by these little flappers? Is it more of a benefit when targeting trout than kokanee?

Thanks,
Brian

HiTechKoke
02-22-2009, 12:20 PM
Hey Brian - I never end up fishing for Kokanee using needlefish however I use them for trout. As I look in my tackle box, needlefish dept, box 7A rows 4-6 I always end up selecting the ones with the little blade and have caught plenty of trout on them so I am a believer on the trout side. As for Kokes... good question.

This brings up a good question though in that who fishes for Kokes with needlefish and what setups do you use for them... (Dodger / no dogder) I realize the RMT spoons are popular for the Gorge Kokes and I know a few guys in California that will use the small Excel spoons for Kokes but I have not really tried them much due to general tackle glut.

Kevin

SilverBullets
02-22-2009, 01:56 PM
I always carry a box full of spoon type lures, but mostly give them water time when things get slow. Where I fish for koks, there are other lures that will out produce these. I have used the spoons with the flipper's, and the ones I had the most sucess with were the copper/red head , pearl/redhead & rainbow (kokanee special) needlefish.
Another one that I've had success with is the "kokanee King" series spoons with the flipper tail...same colors as the needlefish mentioned above. I usually ran dodgers with around a 24" leader. It doesn't take much to destroy the lures action with corn, so usually we'd just use gel scent.
As far as Apex's with the red flipper, I think they are more for trout. I remove the flippers and re-rig them for koks.
The needle fish and kokanee king spoons are great choices to put on a leader with a duo-lock snap on the end and attach on your line when you allready have your presentation down at depth. It will slide down your line and stop mid way on the bow.

Bduck
02-22-2009, 04:39 PM
I have used the size 3 needle fish green/green reflector w/little flapper on it at the Gorge and found it to be very productive for Kokes. Next time I will remove it to see if it makes a difference. I have used one w/out the flapper for trout and it was productive. :)

briang
02-22-2009, 09:50 PM
I've caught kokanee using the #2 Needlefish in frog/red dot, and watermelon colors (without the flipper) in CA lakes. I use it behind a 4" Luhr Jensen, or Sep's dodger and tip it with corn. I agree that there are other lures that consistently out-produce a spoon, but when they want a spoon, a Needlefish is a good choice.

Fallriverguy
02-23-2009, 02:24 AM
One of the bugs I have has a red flapper on it. It worked pretty well this past year at Wickiup. I never thought they would be useful for Kokanee but now I am rethinking that.

Ron G
03-01-2009, 05:12 PM
I've used Needle Fish, Excel lures, Michigan Stinger and RMT Spoons for late season Kokes at Donner and Stampede. I have no idea why they would even hit a spoon but they do when nothing else works. My own theory is that in late season, they have seen every dodger there is several times.

Maybe the spoons trigger an instinct strike because there is less intimidating hardeware???.
I never use scent with spoons either. The ones that do hit, hit really hard and snap me off the riggers almost every time. Kinda like a trout hits a trolling fly.

MackPrince
03-01-2009, 07:36 PM
I've never taken the flap off but have to agree with Ron that when they strike a spoon it's game on.