PDA

View Full Version : More downriggers or stacker

justfish
02-19-2009, 12:37 AM
I have bean debating on buying 2 more downrigger or just stacking what or your opinions ? I have two mag 10hs's

Digi-Troller
02-19-2009, 01:17 AM
At one point we had 4 downriggers on my boat. After my grandpa passed away we moved down to 3 and did more stacking. Stacking takes practice, but once you have it down you will be very effective in it. I'm almost always a more the merrier when it comes to lines in the water, but we've survived with only 3 riggers lol Of course, I added some side planers lol

ll kaidoy ll
02-19-2009, 04:02 AM
I've been stacking for the last 8 or 10 years. But, just last year we added 2 more downriggers so I wouldn't have to anymore. :p

RC McKokanee
02-19-2009, 08:45 AM
i won't use more than the two downriggers i have, i stack two each all the time and have been known to stack 3. it takes time and patience to stack, and it's a cheaper way to put more lines in the water .

SuperD
02-19-2009, 10:18 AM
I have been spoiled with my 4 downriggers and wence whenever I get on a buddy's boat and have to stack. When you stack and one rod goes off, you've lost 2 lines. Certainly your budget is a factor but this is a no brainer for me. Get more riggers. If I had the room, I'd go to 5.

Kokehead83
02-19-2009, 01:29 PM
I only have two but will go to 4 some day, that whole $$$$$ thing is holding me up. I to stack only two per DR but hey i catch fish.

Ben

Bduck
02-19-2009, 01:41 PM
I have 2 electric downriggers that have spoiled me. I also stack. I also have 2 manuel Scotty DR that I was thinking about adding on. I've had them for years and they have never failed me.

FishHunter
02-19-2009, 02:12 PM
I have been spoiled with my 4 downriggers and wence whenever I get on a buddy's boat and have to stack. When you stack and one rod goes off, you've lost 2 lines.

I run 2 electric Scottys on my boat and I stack because I don't have room for more. Super D is right about losing one rod when the other hits. 95% of the time, it is the deeper rod that goes off and then I have to bring everthing up to reset the line. My brother runs 3 electric Scottys on his boat and is think of adding another one. He got tired of stacking and dealing with the time it takes to do it and tangled lines, etc...

ll kaidoy ll
02-19-2009, 05:36 PM
I run 2 electric Scottys on my boat and I stack because I don't have room for more. Super D is right about losing one rod when the other hits. 95% of the time, it is the deeper rod that goes off and then I have to bring everthing up to reset the line. My brother runs 3 electric Scottys on his boat and is think of adding another one. He got tired of stacking and dealing with the time it takes to do it and tangled lines, etc...

Not entirely true about losing 2 lines when the deep one hits. Here's what I used to do (permitting that the water was deep enough).

For the sake of explanation, we will say that I'm fishing with my bottom rod at 40 feet and my stacked rod at 30 feet (spaced 10 feet apart). When a fish hits the bottom rod, what I do is bring the downrigger up to 20 feet (since I'm spacing them 10 feet apart). Then, I use another stacking clip and attach the line. With this setup, the shallower rod has now become my deeper rod. I lower the downrigger down to 60 feet so that my lines are at 30 and 40 feet again. It's pretty simple and efficient. :)

DC18FT
02-20-2009, 12:58 AM
We run 2 DR's on our boat. When the bite is hot, it is hard enough to keep 2 DR's in the watertongue2. When the bite is slow, we stack and cover different depths/lures to find the right combo.

Bryon

Kokaholic
02-20-2009, 08:34 AM
DC18 summed it up pretty good. I have two also. once i know what they want for the time that i am there, i usually run the two riggers and leave it at that. But until i do figure that out, i stack both and change around till i do.

SuperD
02-20-2009, 10:54 AM
We run 2 DR's on our boat. When the bite is hot, it is hard enough to keep 2 DR's in the watertongue2. When the bite is slow, we stack and cover different depths/lures to find the right combo.

Bryon

You haven't lived until you've had a Gorge quad go off. thumbsup

ll kaidoy ll
02-20-2009, 11:06 AM
You haven't lived until you've had a Gorge quad go off. thumbsup

Or have 5 go off at one time! :p I'm not sure what you would call that. I've had a few quads over the past 2 years at the Gorge. It's just insane. Having 5 go off is just madness. tooexcited

SuperD
02-20-2009, 11:33 AM
Or have 5 go off at one time! :p I'm not sure what you would call that. I've had a few quads over the past 2 years at the Gorge. It's just insane. Having 5 go off is just madness. tooexcited

Now you're just bragging! worthy12 laugh hyst

ll kaidoy ll
02-20-2009, 02:31 PM
Now you're just bragging! worthy12 laugh hyst

laugh hyst That wasn't my intention. :p

Bduck
02-20-2009, 03:56 PM
I've had lots of triples. But the quads would make sit down with a 6 pk at least. worthy12

SuperD
02-20-2009, 04:20 PM
kaidoy, last year we had a 2 hour period where I'm sure we could have had a couple fipels but we would have needed a couple more bodies to put poles back in the water faster than we were hooking up. We just couldn't keep up for the 2 hours straight. That was probably the most fun I've ever had Koke fishing.

ll kaidoy ll
02-20-2009, 04:34 PM
kaidoy, last year we had a 2 hour period where I'm sure we could have had a couple fipels but we would have needed a couple more bodies to put poles back in the water faster than we were hooking up. We just couldn't keep up for the 2 hours straight. That was probably the most fun I've ever had Koke fishing.

Haha. Same here. There's been times when it has been ridiculously wide open. However, that time we had 5, all 5 rods went off at the same time. LOL! Each downrigger rod got hit at exactly the same time or within a few seconds of each other and then the leadcore went off screaming. To say the least...it was a memory for a lifetime. tooexcited

SuperD
02-20-2009, 04:40 PM
well, if it ever happens again, you'll have a name for it. Fipel (fi-pel) laugh hyst

ll kaidoy ll
02-20-2009, 07:49 PM
well, if it ever happens again, you'll have a name for it. Fipel (fi-pel) laugh hyst

That just sounds wrong. LOL! laugh hyst I got fippled at Flaming Gorge. :rolleyes: Wow...we are totally off topic now. :p

Ironhead
02-20-2009, 11:47 PM
The other advantage to 4 riggers is: You can keep all 4 lines in the same zone, you don't have to spread them like stacking. I vote for more riggers.

Ironhead

bobco
02-21-2009, 09:15 AM
on the issue of stacking, I have a stacker called a Gizmo, it is a plastic stacker that attaches onto the cable, real simple little stacker. anyone else use theese or what do you guys like for stackers?

SuperD
02-21-2009, 11:47 AM
Your gizmo sounds a lot like a shuttlehawk and they are pretty commom for stackers.

TheFireman
02-21-2009, 06:17 PM
My vote is for more riggers. I don't mind stacking, I did it for several years finally broke down got another rigger and it has been great. It just seems faster and easier for me.

Petty4life
02-21-2009, 06:21 PM
Kokaholic and i are each putting and extra scotty mount on our boats so if we want more riggers we can just grab on off the other ones boat and we can run 3.nanananamovie