PDA

View Full Version : Hoochie Leader Question

SilverBullets
02-18-2009, 10:52 PM
I have read that useing a heavier test leader will give more action to the hoochie from the dodger. What test do you use? Also, when attaching to the dodger, what method do you use..a loop knot, duo-lock snaps, barrel swivel, or tie directly to the dodger? Does one over the other give the hoochie better action in your opinion?

Kokaholic
02-18-2009, 10:58 PM
10 lb test on the leader. I use Duo locks alot. Couldnt tell you about the action. Sorry.

SuperD
02-18-2009, 11:11 PM
I just use shorter leader over heavier to get more action. That and bend the crap out of your dodger.

jacksonlaker
02-18-2009, 11:19 PM
Great question for which I have no answer. I use a loop for squids and a barrel swivel and duo-lock for spoons. Sockeyeslayer, Halojim ???? What do you guys do ???

Kokehead
02-18-2009, 11:36 PM
Yes a heavier lb test will give you a better action because it is stiffer and the dodger will whip it around better. the length does make a difference. the shorter the leader, the more action. but start about twelve inches from the dodger and let the fish tell you what they want. then go shorter from there. don't use a swivel at all, use a loop knot so you can take the squid off and on the dodger with ease.

nofish
02-18-2009, 11:37 PM
I use 15lb to 17lb P-line with a barrel swivel. I know it helps with the action. I will also change leader length till I find what the fish want. hope this helps

MackPrince
02-18-2009, 11:38 PM
With the small hoochie rigs I'd agree with SuperD about leader length making a bigger difference on action. I normally run 8-10lb. leader with 18 lb mainline. It's cheaper to replace a lure than the whole dodger assembly. As for connecting the leader to the dodger that's like asking "blonde or brunette".

MackPrince
02-18-2009, 11:43 PM
Wow look at the posting times. That doesn't happen much.thumbsup

Propnut69
02-18-2009, 11:43 PM
I just use shorter leader over heavier to get more action. That and bend the crap out of your dodger.

I use a little heavier leader too. Bending the dodgers works well ,but a word of caution about bending. Personally I think that you can bend your dodger to much. This can cause such a erratic action,that it can scare timid fish away.One sure fire way to change your action is to change your speed.

justfish
02-19-2009, 12:13 AM
I have to agree with propnut69 on bending dodgers to much; I have bent them on both ends on one set up and left then alone on the other and did alot better (3to1) I use 10LB leader with a loop knop and 15 above the dodger

Fishon18
02-19-2009, 12:41 AM
10lb leader with loop knot and the length will vary as others said. I like the "slight" bend in my dodgers for extra kick. Excellent terminal tackle tutorials. thumbsup

Scott

Digi-Troller
02-19-2009, 01:14 AM
Heres another vote for a simple loop knot. I use a loop for hoochies, apexes, spoons, and just about everything else. The dodgers I use have excellent swivels built in, so there is plenty of twist control. Loops are fast, simple, and effective.

Kokaholic
02-19-2009, 06:18 AM
I stated above about using Duo locks. I use just one to my main line and then loop notts on everything else after that. I dont bend my dodgers. I just weave and change direstions which changes everything becasue of speed.

That and I cant find my beer so the boat does what it wants while I am looking for it of getting another!laugh hyst

twisted lines
02-19-2009, 09:07 AM
I use 8lb green max 10" with the loop, used way to many duo locks, and the knot is quicker.

Full_Monte
02-19-2009, 10:26 AM
So, are you guys saying that you don't use a swivel at the top of the leader even with lures that rotate? What about line twist?

SuperD
02-19-2009, 11:08 AM
So, are yu guys saying that you don't use a swivel at the top of the leader even with lures that rotate? What about line twist?

I use tiny swivels on spinners and loops on everything else.

Fallriverguy
02-19-2009, 11:19 AM
I like to use 10 lb Maxima and a short leader. Instead of using different leader lengths I change between dodgers styles and sizes to to impart different actions to the hoochie. If I am in a hurry I'll use a loop knot, if not I like use a barrel swivel at the top.

SilverBullets
02-19-2009, 11:32 AM
So, are yu guys saying that you don't use a swivel at the top of the leader even with lures that rotate? What about line twist?

I think swivel's are a must for line twist, but if your attaching to a dodger, most dodgers have a barrel swivel on each end. I was curious if useing a swivel on the end of hoochie leader and attaching to a dodger with a swivel built in (thus having two swivel's) would affect the action of the hoochie in a negative way.Also, I wondered if by useing a duo-lock, they might have too much movement when attached to the swivel on the dodger, and not give the hoochie the required action. I have mainly used Apex's over the years, and use barrel swivel's on their leaders. I figured with their action, a extra swivel can't hurt.

SilverBullets
02-19-2009, 12:45 PM
I think swivel's are a must for line twist, but if your attaching to a dodger, most dodgers have a barrel swivel on each end. I was curious if useing a swivel on the end of hoochie leader and attaching to a dodger with a swivel built in (thus having two swivel's) would affect the action of the hoochie in a negative way.Also, I wondered if by useing a duo-lock, they might have too much movement when attached to the swivel on the dodger, and not give the hoochie the required action. I have mainly used Apex's over the years, and use barrel swivel's on their leaders. I figured with their action, a extra swivel can't hurt.

I'm gonna be honest here, so don't get out the flame throwers!violin
I've never caught a kokanee with a straight hoochie.:eek: Now don't get me wrong, I've caught hundreds of koks over the years, mainly with apex's. Straight hoochies...nada. That is the reason for this thread. I have alot of hoochies made up with duo-lock's on the leaders with 8lb test mono, and wondered if that was the problem. Most are made up with 8-10" leaders. I'll try bending the dodger's a little more for the 1.2-1.4 mph I usually troll. and experiment with your other idea's. Thanks for all your suggestions, this year I plan to give them more water time. thumbsup

Kokehead83
02-19-2009, 01:03 PM
My general rule of thumb that some one taught me was 2-3 dodger lengths behind. So depending upon what brand of dodger you are using that is usually 8-12" I would say that with the Crystal Basin wild thing and the seps side kick I would not go 2-6 inches more like the 8-12" and you will find the sweet spot. Also I change leader length as the season goes on just as I change dodger size as the season goes on. I happen to get shorter leaders as the season starts closing and start with longer at the beginning of the season. I personally use loop knots on every thing. Dodgers have swivels built in to them no need to double up.

Ben

SuperD
02-19-2009, 01:34 PM
Silver Bullets, if you want to try experimenting a little with your hootchies, I like to occassionally add a Mack's Wing in front of the hootchie. This is a picture out of cabelas but same idea.

http://images.cabelas.com/is/image/cabelas/s7_118815_renderset_02?$main-Small$

SilverBullets
02-19-2009, 02:32 PM
Silver Bullets, if you want to try experimenting a little with your hootchies, I like to occassionally add a Mack's Wing in front of the hootchie. This is a picture out of cabelas but same idea.

I have many made up like that Super D. I also have other's with indiana blades, hoochie's on the back of apex's, and going to try out some with bullet weights in them for jigging. I have caught a few with the blades incorporated, but straight hoochies with a dodger...nada. I will try them out more this season, years past I've only put them on after useing apex's when the bite shuts down. I know hoochies work after reading many reports and every one's posts here. It's funny how we sometimes have confidence in certain lures, and don't try new things until the fishing is slow. This year I'm going to do things different!

Full_Monte
02-19-2009, 02:37 PM

Without a swivel on the top of the leader, that might argue for a stiffer, heavier leader that would transmit the twist up to the dodger, rather than a soft, light leader that would wind itself up before it transmitted any twist to the dodger swivel.

SuperD
02-19-2009, 02:51 PM

Anyone else besides me think this looks pretty good the more you've looked at it? laugh hyst

twisted lines
02-19-2009, 04:32 PM
I'm gonna be honest here, so don't get out the flame throwers!violin
I've never caught a kokanee with a straight hoochie.:eek: Now don't get me wrong, I've caught hundreds of koks over the years, mainly with apex's. Straight hoochies...nada. That is the reason for this thread. I have alot of hoochies made up with duo-lock's on the leaders with 8lb test mono, and wondered if that was the problem. Most are made up with 8-10" leaders. I'll try bending the dodger's a little more for the 1.2-1.4 mph I usually troll. and experiment with your other idea's. Thanks for all your suggestions, this year I plan to give them more water time. thumbsup

Seps 0000 1.4-1.7 !!!!! and I don't bend them, Now If your only pick the right color tongue2 I see some newer bigger seps but not ready to change.

Fallriverguy
02-19-2009, 06:14 PM
Seps 0000 1.4-1.7 !!!!! and I don't bend them, Now If your only pick the right color tongue2 I see some newer bigger seps but not ready to change.

I seem to have better luck with hoochies behind a 000 Gold Star and trolling around 1.2.

twisted lines
02-19-2009, 07:17 PM
I seem to have better luck with hoochies behind a 000 Gold Star and trolling around 1.2.

Thanks I stuck that somewhere thumbsup Now how about some help with all the slingblades I have?

Kokonuts
02-19-2009, 07:47 PM
WOW!... This is great!! A lot of action on this, I just caught up with you guys.

Ive made up some hoochies with spin & glows so that they will spin. Just cut the nose off & glue in a spin & glow. Lots of color combos.

Next I took some T cones & push it up the butt of the hoochie, put a couple of beads between the rear of the t cone & hooks. This really spreads out the legs.

Then Ive made some spinner hoochies by using wire & a bead pushed up on the twisted part of the wire behind the eye adding a little glue then pushing the hoochie over the bead. add a swivel & hook at the rear. This makes the hoochie spin with the wire.

Now all I gotta do is actually CATCH some Kokanee!!! laugh hyst.............Kokonuts

nofish
02-19-2009, 08:57 PM
Twisted, I run 1.8 mph to get my slingblade style dodgers to work. if I want more action I will bend them in the center. I run heavy line on my hoocies it transfers the action back.

twisted lines
02-19-2009, 10:10 PM
Twisted, I run 1.8 mph to get my slingblade style dodgers to work. if I want more action I will bend them in the center. I run heavy line on my hoocies it transfers the action back.

Stuck that one there too worthy12 Hope this thread helps you get mofish!!!!!!

Ironhead
02-20-2009, 11:57 PM

Anyone else besides me think this looks pretty good the more you've looked at it? laugh hyst

Looks like the perfect lure for the Gorge, great color, one hook, easy C&R.

Ironhead