PDA

View Full Version : Big Kokes?

SuperD
02-18-2009, 05:35 PM
The Gorge always gets all the publicity for big Kokes but by California standards, I bet there are other places with 3 lbs Kokes. Are any of you other state residents willing to share where other big fish are? I've caught a 4 lber in Colorado (Lake Vallecito) so I figured there must be other big Koke strains out there somewhere.

TheFireman
02-18-2009, 06:33 PM
Whoever said there were big kokes in the gorge must be on crack. the real big ones are in Lake Mead. I've seen them there 10-12 lbs. real consistent catching them that big also. Best thing is it is only half the distance from Cali and is within driving distance from sin city so when the fishing is slow or you've caught your limit of 25 10 pounders you can just drive into Vegas and see what other big strains of stuff you can find. Why anyone would drive twice the distance for fish a third of the size with wind that blows 60-70 mph everyday all day long blowing dirt into every nook and cranny of your campers, boats, and moterhomes just doesn't make sense to me. If I didn't live 40 min from the so called fabulous gorge I'd be at mead all the time. Big kokes at the gorge, what a joke. HaHaHa.

SuperD
02-18-2009, 06:51 PM
Whoever said there were big kokes in the gorge must be on crack. the real big ones are in Lake Mead. I've seen them there 10-12 lbs. real consistent catching them that big also. Best thing is it is only half the distance from Cali and is within driving distance from sin city so when the fishing is slow or you've caught your limit of 25 10 pounders you can just drive into Vegas and see what other big strains of stuff you can find. Why anyone would drive twice the distance for fish a third of the size with wind that blows 60-70 mph everyday all day long blowing dirt into every nook and cranny of your campers, boats, and moterhomes just doesn't make sense to me. If I didn't live 40 min from the so called fabulous gorge I'd be at mead all the time. Big kokes at the gorge, what a joke. HaHaHa.

Fireman, those kokes have black stripes? laugh hyst laugh hyst

Fallriverguy
02-18-2009, 08:25 PM
In Oregon Paulina Lake use to have larger Kokanee. The state record was 4 lbs 2 oz. until Wallow Lake started putting out some nice fish. The new state record is from there and weighed in at 6 lbs 12 oz. This was in 2001 at the peak of the mysis shrimp introduction. Since that time the size of the fish has reduced greatly.

Here is a Wallow Lake Kokanee my friend's son caught in 2002. It was 23 inches long.

http://momentoffame.com/photopost/data/501/big_kokanee.jpg

Kokehead
02-18-2009, 09:42 PM
Man that's a great catch by any standards. Even for the gorge.

Kokaholic
02-18-2009, 10:56 PM
I would be happy catching kokes like that. Nothing wrong with that one at all.

Digi-Troller
02-19-2009, 01:08 AM
Here in Utah we also have Strawberry reservoir. This fishery is a little less predictable than the Gorge, but produces some very nice kokanee (in fact, the UT state record came from Strawberry). Its a high mountain lake and is very nice during the summer. The Gorge can get a bit hot for many people. In addition to the koke fishing, Strawberry produces great cutthroat trout fishing because of special restrictions. Its another option to consider, but again, the koke fishing can be a little less predictable. Sometimes the kokes forget to show up lol Other times its terrific. I still go to the Gorge more often because of its consistency, but I also fish Strawberry from time to time.

Hope that helps!

halojm
02-21-2009, 10:32 AM
I agree, and it is a lot closer for those living in California to drive to strawberry than the hot and windy gorge. People are also more friendly.

Kokanee Killer
02-21-2009, 10:55 AM
maan you guys are spoiled out west,, this past fall i broke my alltime record of a koke 17 1/2in and its going on the wall,my buddy got a couple 20 inchers 3 years ago ,,but that was a rare year of big kokes only because the smelt population crashed on that particular impoundment,,when i was a kid growing up in the 1970s we used to fish a lake in ct called east twin that regulary coughed up kokes to 20 plus inches,, then some hacks introduced alewives into the lake,, great for brown trout but devastiting for the kokes fencing

Petty4life
02-21-2009, 11:07 AM
maan you guys are spoiled out west,, this past fall i broke my alltime record of a koke 17 1/2in and its going on the wall,my buddy got a couple 20 inchers 3 years ago ,,but that was a rare year of big kokes only because the smelt population crashed on that particular impoundment,,when i was a kid growing up in the 1970s we used to fish a lake in ct called east twin that regulary coughed up kokes to 20 plus inches,, then some hacks introduced alewives into the lake,, great for brown trout but devastiting for the kokes fencing

Kokanee killer anytome you want to come out west to fish let me know ill take you to the gorge and get you some real nice onesthumbsup

AFDan52
02-21-2009, 11:12 AM
I will be happy to catch any Kokes at all this year. I am going to be in the learning mode for the year, so I will be all ears to everyone.worthy12

SuperD
02-21-2009, 11:39 AM
I plan on visiting Strawberry this Fall. Our daughter and son-inlaw is stationed at Hill AFB in Salt Lake. I plan on taking a day drive to really examine the Strawberry area. My wife and I are looking for retirement property and that area seems really centrally located to lots of great places.

bobco
02-21-2009, 01:14 PM
11 mile in Colorado is probably Colorados big koke lake, lots of food in there to produce consistant large fish. Unfortunitly It is in real bad shape right now because of Gill lice infestation. Gill lice have hit a couple of lakes and really hurt the kokes, Green Mt is the other lake in colorado that GL have hit.

Bduck
02-21-2009, 03:42 PM
I plan on visiting Strawberry this Fall. Our daughter and son-inlaw is stationed at Hill AFB in Salt Lake. I plan on taking a day drive to really examine the Strawberry area. My wife and I are looking for retirement property and that area seems really centrally located to lots of great places.Hey SuperD, Let me correct you, Hill AFB is Ogden 30 mins north of SLC. I work there as an aircraft mech in the F16 flight test section. Where are you?

SuperD
02-21-2009, 04:03 PM
Bduck, Sacramento, CA. I guess I'll edit my profile.