PDA

View Full Version : Smoking Jerky...

SilverBullets
02-16-2009, 04:16 PM
I've made jerky before but it was a few years back, and am having trouble deciding what type of meat to use. I googled it but got alot of different answers, so I thought I'd ask here for any first hand recommendations. Anyone have experience with this? I really don't know one from the other. The meats that I have come up with so far are:
London Broil
Brisket
Flank Steak
Round Steak
Rump Roast

Thanks in advance!worthy12

Kokaholic
02-16-2009, 06:53 PM
Take your cheaper cuts of roast. Slice them thin or to your desired thickness. The rump roast you metioned will work fine. Or what ever you can find on sale

MackPrince
02-16-2009, 09:44 PM
When I make venison jerky I like to use the round steak and rump roast. If you want tender jerky the round steak or london broil will work well because the grain is perpendicular to the cut. For tougher or stringy jerky you can cut the rump roast with the grain.

dunnigan jim
02-16-2009, 10:48 PM
I HAVE USED GROUND BEEF. You season it with teriyaki liquid smoke (hickory) and cayenne if you want it hot . let it set over nite in frig. put wax paper on counter put about 1 # meat on it then put another piece of wax paper over it . use a rolling pin and 2 wooden yard sticks. put the yard sticks on each side of meat and use rolling pin to flatten to the thickness of the yard sticks. put the meat with the wax paper on both sides in freezer over nite, then cut it into 1 1/2 " strips and lenght you want @6" still frozen .put them on cookie sheets. put them in oven at 170 degrees , leave the oven door open just a little. takes @2-3 hrs depending on how the oven heats. you can also put them in a smoker or dehydrator. very cheap way to make jerky

SuperD
02-17-2009, 04:15 PM
London Broils go on sale fairly often and that is what my buddy that made jerky always used for his beef jerky.

Kokanee Killer
02-19-2009, 09:44 PM
i have a killer recipe for smoked kokanee,i usually smoke them in the fall and they aint too badtongue2

SilverBullets
04-02-2009, 11:54 PM
Well...I did it! Spent the last couple days making jerky out of 5 lbs. of London Broil. I used Hi Mountain Seasonings Authentic Wyoming Blend, which is a dry brine cure. Turned out great... 24 hours brine time, a few hours in the smoker, and a couple pans of alder. I now have 5 vacuum packs made up for kokanee season. Thanks for every one's advice! thumbsup

MackPrince
04-03-2009, 01:57 AM
Mmm... now that you have the knack maybe you can bring some to Merwin this summerthumbsup