PDA

View Full Version : whiskeytown lake

RC McKokanee
02-16-2009, 10:15 AM
just wondering who here fishes whiskeytown lake. i live about 8 miles from whiskeytown and it is the lake i fish the most in spring and summer. kokanee's are what i fish for and i'm hoping those little 12 inchers last year grew up to the fish i am used to pulling out of this lake.

HiTechKoke
02-16-2009, 10:35 AM
I was there in 07 and want to go back as I am usually up at Shasta 2-3 times a year, twice for the derby and once for pleasure so we dropped down there and caught some nice ones surprisingly in early April. Last year seemed to be a bust from the reports. The tricky part is the DFG has to decide how much to plant since they have a natural spawn that varies.

Did you have much success last year?

Kevin

RC McKokanee
02-16-2009, 10:56 AM
last year i caught fish, but they ranged from 8 to 14 inches. there were a couple of guys who fished whiskeytown alot last year and they had good success,but same results with small fish. hopefully the fish will be larger this year. as soon as the rains slow down i will be going fishing there, probably late feb or early march. i noticed alot of the fish were taken north of the hwy 299 bridge inside. i like to fish in a area between the dam and cold water curtain, but the winds kept me from there alot.

HiTechKoke
02-21-2009, 11:12 AM
In the spirit of sharing some semi-custom tackle here's what we quickly narrowed in on in 07 that the fish wanted, that day, that 2 hours worth and a trout thrown in too. 07 was a bit Radical Glo year for me and every year seems to be something a little different but I still have radical glo's in my first tier of tackle. The kids and I loved to make up custom rigs with beads and RGT beads. Here's the rigs and the fish they caught that day in April 07...

cptdarel
03-12-2009, 11:42 AM
I fish it about every year, as you see old TC lives at the lake also, I go up to see him and play for a while, and yes the size last year was a surprise, much smaller than usual, but I'll be back again, just counting the weeks, or news of a hot bite.

SuperD
03-12-2009, 04:30 PM
Whiskeytown has been one of those lakes on my to do list. If I can get up there, maybe some of you veterans can show me the ropes.

RC McKokanee
03-16-2009, 07:10 PM
cptdarel, when you get up to whiskeytown and fish with tc, we all need to hook up. man , today we got around 3 to 4 inches of rain in and around redding, flooding all over and i am sure alot of water going into whiskeytown lake and shasta.

HiTechKoke
03-16-2009, 11:04 PM
Shasta was getting a nice inflow today so like you said Whiskeytown must have got a bunch as well.... here's the hourly link for Shasta....

http://cdec.water.ca.gov/cgi-progs/queryF?s=SHA&d=16-Mar-2009+19:29&span=12hours

cptdarel
03-26-2009, 03:03 PM
cptdarel, when you get up to whiskeytown and fish with tc, we all need to hook up. man , today we got around 3 to 4 inches of rain in and around redding, flooding all over and i am sure alot of water going into whiskeytown lake and shasta.

I do want to meet a few more Koke nerds, it looks like May will kick thing off, I have been waiting for some reports but none to be had. The lake is mudded up and debris is said to be floating. I think TC has your # and will let you know when I head up there from San Jose.

and Kevin, if we don't find the Kokes you will have to lend us your magic wand. :)