PDA

View Full Version : Flaming Gorge line size?

wahoohunter
02-14-2009, 02:19 PM
I'll be going to the Gorge for the first time this year (early July) and I'm looking for some info on line (and leader) size. I'm pretty sure the 6 lb. I use here in CA ain't gonna cut it-lol.
Thanks in advance

Fishon18
02-14-2009, 02:47 PM
Wahoo,

Our first trip was a learning experience for sure. They busted our 8lb leaders and forced us to go to 10lb. I used 8lb Maxima line on the reels without problems. Another thought to think about it is the types of hooks used on your rigs. After several breaks on our tandem hooksets we finally realized it would be better to change those out to Siwash hooks. Seems easier for catch and release also. Just a few thoughts, but go with what works for you.

Scott
(Merced, Ca.)

Petty4life
02-14-2009, 02:50 PM
10-12lb should do you fine.thumbsup

Bduck
02-14-2009, 03:27 PM
I like using a good 20lb braided line for my main line and 10-12lb leader. That seems to work well where ever I go.

HiTechKoke
02-14-2009, 04:27 PM
I tend to hear this question a lot for those thinking of going to the gorge or other Ca. Gorge vets helping out other first timers. The answer is always 10 lb or better and usually 12. They are not line shy and you would hate to break off that 5lbr right?

Also when you catch a lot of fish and do a lot of releasing make sure to check those leaders around the hook area. I bumped to 10 and 12 lb Yozuri leaders mid to late season for all my re-tied spinners and was very happy with it and did less re-ties.

Kevin

FishHunter
02-15-2009, 06:30 PM
Don't be too shy about using heavier line at the Gorge. I use 12 lb Stren Magnathin because it has a little smaller diameter than normal 12 lb line and it holds up great.

HiTechKoke is right about checking your leader around the hooks. I retie most of my set-ups after catching 4 to 5 fish, especially the apexes. When I first started fishing for kokes, I lost more fish from the leader breaking at the hooks than I care to admit.

ll kaidoy ll
02-15-2009, 06:36 PM
I stepped up my leader material to 15 lb. P-Line specifically for Flaming Gorge. As for main line, I use 8 lb. Maxima Ultragreen on my reels. My first year, I got away with 4 lb. Maxima Ultragreen, but after a day of popping off the downrigger clips, it was pretty much toast. I might go to 6 lb. Maxima Ultragreen this year if I feel daring. :rolleyes:

wahoohunter
02-15-2009, 07:13 PM
Thanks to everyone for replying, good info and a lot of help

SuperD
02-15-2009, 08:26 PM
Also when you catch a lot of fish and do a lot of releasing make sure to check those leaders around the hook area.

Even veterans need to remind ourselves of this one. When things are hot, fast and furious, we tend to forget until that clean piece of line comes out of the water.

Kokaholic
02-15-2009, 10:52 PM
I will 2nd that. Check those lines. When tose fish start to hook up in August and September, Those teeth get sharp. Need to check them often. I have always ran 10# and have had no problem with it. You wont go wrong with 10 or 12.

But then if your Wally " The Fireman" And catch 26 lb macks on a Serpant spoon trolling for kokes during the villa tournament last year, Then you might wan to beef it up just a little.thumbsupworthy12

Digi-Troller
02-16-2009, 01:05 AM
Man, you arent kidding! My brother got an 18 lb mac on a serpent spoon while trolling for kokes. Took a long time to get that baby in on an ultra light setup! But, wow... that was fun! 10-12 lb test is fine, but make sure you've got a good drag... never know whats going to bite up there!

TheFireman
02-16-2009, 01:05 PM
Heck 10 lb is plenty even for the big mack, you just have to realize that when you hook up you just pissed away the best koke hours of the tournament. Actually used to use 8 lb but now i've bumped up to 10 lb cuda. Haven't had any problems with it but wouldn't go down to 8 again for nothing.

Fallriverguy
02-16-2009, 06:41 PM
What about hook size? I use size 2 and size 4. I am guess the size 4 might be a little small.

justfish
02-16-2009, 10:00 PM
I use #4s & 6 they seem to work great ; with # 2s you hook then to hard to release

Kokaholic
02-16-2009, 11:13 PM
Hello Just Fish, I see your from hooper. I was bornand raised there and live in West haven now

FishHunter
02-17-2009, 03:01 PM
What about hook size? I use size 2 and size 4. I am guess the size 4 might be a little small.

I use size 4 hooks on most lures. The biggest difference for me has been using 2 hooks instead of one. I retie and add a hook to most of my lures that only come with one hook. I will use a size 2 for some of the lures I have, but not very many.

SuperD
02-17-2009, 04:10 PM
This year I might try single #2 hook, barbless for the first few days of the trip. The Gorge kokes have such tough gums that C&R with a tazmanian devil is pretty difficult. A single, larger hook will hopefully flip easier.

Hooter Patrol
02-28-2009, 12:44 AM
I have been using the power pro 30lb and my leader is the 15lb pline
and I have not had any problems at all and I use the same set up for all my troll even for the Macks.