PDA

View Full Version : Night Fishing for Kokanee

milenine
02-13-2009, 11:23 PM
There is probably a topic on this subject already, but I could not find it with the forum search. I have read online that there are places that kokanee fishing in the dark is very popular (I am in Utah). I've read that a lantern hung over the side of the boat will bring them close... and then you just jig for them. Can anyone confirm this from first hand experience.

My second question is whether this can be done through the ice for kokanee? I have drilled a hole 1/2 way through the ice before, and then set the lantern down in the hole. It lights up the area really good. Anyone had any luck with the koke in the dark, through the ice?

Kokanee Killer
02-13-2009, 11:45 PM
yes you touched on a subject that i am well schooled at here in the east coast ct especially we hang 2 coleman lanterns over the side of the boat,at dusk we usually anchor in 40 fow the kokes start showing up with the bows,after the plankton does first of course this usually takes place may thru mid aug,ice fishing little diff set up same results first float a sealed beam round headlight surrounded by styrofoam in a cut 8in hole, drill several holes next to the lit one,drop a silver tiny kastmaster tipped with white shoepeg corn down the hole and jig till your hearts content,good lucktongue2

twisted lines
02-14-2009, 01:09 AM
yes you touched on a subject that i am well schooled at here in the east coast ct especially we hang 2 coleman lanterns over the side of the boat,at dusk we usually anchor in 40 fow the kokes start showing up with the bows,after the plankton does first of course this usually takes place may thru mid aug,ice fishing little diff set up same results first float a sealed beam round headlight surrounded by styrofoam in a cut 8in hole, drill several holes next to the lit one,drop a silver tiny kastmaster tipped with white shoepeg corn down the hole and jig till your hearts content,good lucktongue2

Thank you very much! tooexcited

milenine
02-15-2009, 10:35 PM
Do you have any special way to hang the lanterns?

MackPrince
02-16-2009, 12:05 AM
Tite-lock makes a lantern holder and shield that keep the lantern over the water and glare out of your eyes.

I have more expereince night fishing than trolling, and in my experience a lantern works as good as a floating light. There are also some submersible green lights that help improve the catch ratio depending on the water quality.

Spend some time on the lake to learn the school patterns. I found that if I anchored near the thermocline (28-32 at my local lake in the summer) I could wait for the school to come in and not have to reset my anchor based on multiple sonar reads.

Send me a pm if you want some pointers.