PDA

View Full Version : No Corn at FG

briang
02-13-2009, 04:07 PM
I understand it's illegal to tip your lures with corn at FG. Can somebody recommend some favorite alternatives to real corn. I'm planning a trip there this season and could use some advice.

Thanks,
Brian G.

Petty4life
02-13-2009, 05:28 PM
just buy the fake corn or mealworms and scent them with procure sweet cornthumbsup

vvBob
02-13-2009, 05:47 PM
Meal worms worked well last year. Also a Berkley product, don't remember the name but they were small worm like baits, that came in a jar....we put them on the back hook, & they last forever.

Petty4life
02-13-2009, 05:58 PM
Meal worms worked well last year. Also a Berkley product, don't remember the name but they were small worm like baits, that came in a jar....we put them on the back hook, & they last forever.

your talking about the gulp maggots right?
http://images.cabelas.com/is/image/cabelas/s7_117038_999_03?$main-Large$

nofish
02-13-2009, 07:01 PM
I use Gulp in earthworm flavor (pink) cover it with some Procure seams to wok good for me.

Kokehead
02-13-2009, 07:25 PM
Another thing I have used are the powerbait power wigglers. they look like little sausage links, they are covered in sparkles (watch out or you'll look like a pixy fairy) use 2 links attached and run one through your front hook.

SuperD
02-13-2009, 09:41 PM
Last year the Berkely Power maggots worked well for us with our various scents applied.

Kokaholic
02-13-2009, 09:43 PM
The berkley power maggots with Carp spit.

briang
02-13-2009, 10:17 PM
Thanks for all the feedback. Appreciate it.

Digi-Troller
02-14-2009, 12:48 AM
The pro cure gels do the trick. You can use the other stuff for visual if you want, but you shouldnt need it. Just a little gel will get you all the kokes you can handle most days!

Propnut69
02-14-2009, 11:05 AM
The berkley power maggots with Carp spit.

Hard combo to beat right there.thumbsup

cliffg
02-15-2009, 02:35 AM
I'm going in early June, and plan to try Berkley Gulp Maggots.

Cliff

FishHunter
02-15-2009, 06:37 PM
Last year the Berkely Power maggots worked well for us with our various scents applied.

Is anyone soaking the maggots or worms in the scent of choice for a period of time or just applying the scent just before fishing with it?

I have never soaked them, I have only applied the scent to the maggots or lure just before dropping it in the water.

HiTechKoke
02-15-2009, 06:48 PM
A jar of Gulp Maggots is what we used with Jared last year and then we occasionally swiped a dab of gel to the lure setup as well. Now all I need to do is educate these Kalyfonia Kokes to eat them and I'll be set. I'll be testing them more this coming season as I stocked up after the gorge in plain / pink and chartreuse.

Kevin

ll kaidoy ll
02-15-2009, 07:10 PM
A jar of Gulp Maggots is what we used with Jared last year and then we occasionally swiped a dab of gel to the lure setup as well. Now all I need to do is educate these Kalyfonia Kokes to eat them and I'll be set. I'll be testing them more this coming season as I stocked up after the gorge in plain / pink and chartreuse.

Kevin

Kevin, they do work here in CA. :) I have the older Berkeley maggots...not the Gulp ones (that shows you how old they are...LOL!). Anyways, there's been numerous times when I've forgot the corn and didn't realize it until I got to the ramp. :eek: So, I keep a package or two of the maggots in my box just as a backup in case. :)

bobco
02-15-2009, 09:15 PM
love the gulp maggots, I like the pink ones, how do you get a carp to spit?

SuperD
02-15-2009, 10:34 PM
Is anyone soaking the maggots or worms in the scent of choice for a period of time or just applying the scent just before fishing with it?

I have never soaked them, I have only applied the scent to the maggots or lure just before dropping it in the water.

yes, we soak. We put a few in a little glad cup and squirt some of the special sauce on to soak. Some of our scents are home brews so it is better to let stuff like the meal worms to absorb the scent.

ll kaidoy ll
02-15-2009, 11:07 PM

I haven't soaked any maggots or meal worms. If I plan on using scent, I will just apply whatever ProCure Super Gel I feel like at the time right before I stick the lure into the water. The Super Gels last a long time in the water, and usually a fish will hit it before the scent wears off (or I change the lure :p).

Fallriverguy
02-16-2009, 06:44 PM
Anyone use the Gulp sprays? I have been thinking of trying the garlic scent.