PDA

View Full Version : Fishing nets...what are you using?

Full_Monte
02-13-2009, 01:07 PM
I must have six nets for various kinds of fishing. It seems like most of you Koke guys keep moving while you fight a fish because you have other downriggers out. The videos show you bringing the fish to the boat at the stern, and before he gets close enough to tangle in the prop, dowriggers or other lines, you scoop him with a long-handled net.

So, I was looking at long-handled nets yesterday. I like the looks of the plastic, no snag webbing, but the net seems very heavy. What do you like to use?

Fallriverguy
02-13-2009, 01:23 PM
I have a nylon net that has a 18" opening and a 3' handle. It was too short so I added three feet of PVC pipe the end and now have a 6' net. My friend uses a smelt dipping net. He can net a fish 10' from the boat.

AFDan52
02-13-2009, 05:11 PM
I use an extendable handled rubber net, the hooks don't get caught in it.

Petty4life
02-13-2009, 05:32 PM

Me tothumbsupworthy12 with an octigone handlefencing

SilverBullets
02-13-2009, 06:00 PM

tooexcited Hey, me too! The handle extends to around 6 feet.thumbsup

jacksonlaker
02-13-2009, 07:12 PM
I use the same one also !! Last year I decided to leave one on the bottom of Flaming Gorge so if anyone catches a net, It might be mine !

Kokanee Killer
02-13-2009, 07:32 PM
an old frabill circa late 80s, complete with stiff nylon not for the faint of heart catch and release crowds lol, when we get a koke in the net it is generally put into the cooler of deathlaugh hyst

Kokaholic
02-13-2009, 09:10 PM
Rubber net extendable handle all the way. Much nicer. YOur not the first guy Jackson laker that has left a net on the bottom of the gorge. I know there is one right now in the North end of buckboard bay!thumbsup

SuperD
02-13-2009, 09:57 PM
Cumings nets have a great variety of hoops and handles. The handles are the octagon extendable type. I bought a Cumings salmon net with a 7' handle plus hoop. I then went to the Cumings website and ordered extra hoops that are all snap on to the long handle. I have salmon, trout and koke hoops and use the long reach handle with all of them.

twisted lines
02-14-2009, 01:13 AM
tooexcited Hey, me too! The handle extends to around 6 feet.thumbsup

Rubber net mine is about six feet as well but then I can extend it, tongue2

Propnut69
02-14-2009, 10:48 AM

I use the same type of net. I like the way the rubber net wraps it's self around the fish. It helps to protect the fish and makes it easier to get the hooks out. 9/10 fish I catch I wont even use the net on,just get them close to the boat and pop the hook out .

dunnigan jim
02-15-2009, 01:12 AM
i use the guide style nets that extends to 10' . this is do to the 4 downriggers i have , i like to keep the fish away from the dr cable. i use a high temp heat gun to heat the webbing tighter so the hooks don't get caught in it. works great too. just be carefull not to melt the webbing.

halojm
02-15-2009, 09:40 AM
You can add me to the list of rubber netters also. Only way to go.

Propnut69
02-15-2009, 11:22 AM
I use the same one also !! Last year I decided to leave one on the bottom of Flaming Gorge so if anyone catches a net, It might be mine !

I would imagination that you are not the first or the last to lose at a net at the gorge . If by some fluke I happen to find it,I will make sure you get it back.thumbsup

Full_Monte
02-15-2009, 12:06 PM
OK...I looked up Cumings nets on Google and went to Ed Cumings website. I don't see any "rubber" nets with long octagonal handle there. I also looked at Cabela's and West Marine. Any hints on where I might find one? Thanks!

Petty4life
02-15-2009, 05:33 PM
OK...I looked up Cumings nets on Google and went to Ed Cumings website. I don't see any "rubber" nets with long octagonal handle there. I also looked at Cabela's and West Marine. Any hints on where I might find one? Thanks!

i got my last 2 at sportsmans warehousethumbsup

FishHunter
02-15-2009, 06:22 PM

I use a rubber net that extends from 4 ft to 8 ft. It has a 2 ft opening and I love it. I would never go back to using a nylon net, unless I have to use my backup if I dumped mine in the lake like some of our fellow fishermen have done laugh hyst

I purchased mine from Bass Pro Shops.

HiTechKoke
02-15-2009, 06:57 PM
I'd love to use the rubber nets but they are so heavy and I want a 10 foot model and have been used to a long light weight non rubber model with a square handle. What I want to see is a manufacture come out with a 10 foot / lightweight rubber one with a square / octagon handle (not round as they are harder to grip. I have the transom extension on my boat so I like to reach out well beyond it when the kids get to the point of surfing the fish in to the boat after wearing them out.

Old School
02-15-2009, 10:20 PM
Long handled nets are a great advantage. However when I'm alone its a little hard to manage. I have a non-extending 4 ft net with oct handle. It has styrofoam inside the handle so its floats.

I found this mini paint roller with a handle small enough to completely fit inside the handle of the net. I removed the roller handle and epoxied it inside my net handle. Now when I have a guest on board I attached a 4 ft aluminum painters rod and the net becomes 8 feet, which is a huge improvement over 4 feet.

For now it works.
Old School

FishHunter
02-16-2009, 12:15 AM
Long handled nets are a great advantage. However when I'm alone its a little hard to manage.....Old School

I agree. I fished 2 days last June at Flaming Gorge waiting for my brother to show up. I was so wore out by 9:00 am each morning from trying to get the kokes to the boat and then using my 8 ft rubber net to land them. My boat sits so high out of the water though I would never use anything else.

Full_Monte
02-16-2009, 10:16 AM
So, it seems like rubber nets are easy on the fish, easy on the hooks, and heavy as an anchor, especially on the end of an 8 foot pole.

Thanks for the pointers on where to find them!

bobco
02-16-2009, 10:23 AM
I'd love to use the rubber nets but they are so heavy and I want a 10 foot model and have been used to a long light weight non rubber model with a square handle. What I want to see is a manufacture come out with a 10 foot / lightweight rubber one with a square / octagon handle (not round as they are harder to grip. I have the transom extension on my boat so I like to reach out well beyond it when the kids get to the point of surfing the fish in to the boat after wearing them out.
DITTO on that, I have thought more than once to buy one but just way to heavy for my liking, maybe with a little wieght training I could buff up....I use a 4-8' extendable nylon net that I can handle one handed if fishing alone....

HiTechKoke
02-16-2009, 10:30 AM
I forgot to mention that I did get more used to a rubber net when in the Gorge last year when fishing with Jared as that was what he had and the wife and I learned how to muscle the Kokes in very close to the boat for the scoop.

Kevin

Full_Monte
02-18-2009, 01:54 AM
I agree. I fished 2 days last June at Flaming Gorge waiting for my brother to show up. I was so wore out by 9:00 am each morning from trying to get the kokes to the boat and then using my 8 ft rubber net to land them. My boat sits so high out of the water though I would never use anything else.

Now, THAT's a sob story if I ever heard one. You know, in 50 years of fishing, I can't say I've ever been too "wore out" to get another fish to the boat. Some guys just have it rough. violinviolin

Kokanee Kid
02-18-2009, 01:17 PM
Rubber is the way to go, less tangles and more fishin timethumbsup
http://i241.photobucket.com/albums/ff264/Chuck-the-duck1/P1030419.jpg

STLHDR
06-12-2015, 12:56 PM
I have 2 Beckman 6' nets for salmon and steelhead (red & green hoops) and a 3' trout net (which is buy thr way not working too well due to my bad back). Will troll through a Sportsman warehouse soon...

Oh and fill the handle with that expanding foam and don't worry about it sinking if a monster Koke rips it from your grasp.... just sayin an ounce of prevention.......

hooked
07-01-2015, 10:23 PM
We have a hiber-net. The netting retracts into the handle for easier storage, carrying, and in the boat it stows much nicer than a fixed hoop net, plus not having any net out most of the time keeps rigs from getting accidentally tangled in it. It's also awesome for hikes into salmon streams since it doesn't hang up on bushes while brush busting the way in. It seems most folks here prefer a longer handle (ours is a 5 footer), but with the large but low bimini top on our boat a longer handle net would get frustrating to use.

mtncat1
07-07-2015, 11:13 PM
I tried a couple of different nets I found the ego net was ok. I had a frabile with a rubber coated mess net I didn't like the way the hooks caught in it. the best was the Ranger net with a rubber basket and 6 foot extendable handle , it was almost exactly like the Cumings . but a few buck cheaper .