PDA

View Full Version : Suggestions on a kicker motor

CurlysLures
02-12-2009, 04:39 PM
We are looking to buy a new kicker motor for our 23 ft Bayliner Trophy. Any suggestions?? We have a Troll Daddy mounted on it and it will need to be a long shaft. We have been looking at a 8 hp Merc.

Petty4life
02-12-2009, 05:31 PM
Jason, my sugestion is for you to buy me that 8hp merc and you go buy yourself something elselaugh hyst

AFDan52
02-12-2009, 06:04 PM
I would suggest the Yamaha T8 8hp , longshaft, 4-stroke , electric start and power tilt. Also High thrust, this motor will push a 30 ft boat with no problem. Check it out.

FishHunter
02-12-2009, 11:07 PM
I would suggest the Yamaha T8 8hp , longshaft, 4-stroke , electric start and power tilt. Also High thrust, this motor will push a 30 ft boat with no problem. Check it out.

I agree 100%. I have a 23ft Sea Ray cuddy that is old and big and the T8 is perfect for it.

AFDan52
02-13-2009, 12:14 AM
Hey Fishhunter , i'm putting one on my 19ft. Searay. Small world.thumbsupthumbsup

windriver
02-13-2009, 11:09 AM
I just put one on my 2006 Jetcraft, if it works as good as it looks, watch out! I haven't figured exactly how I am going to plumb it into my fuel system. I don't have very much room to add a fuel seperator, and was thinking of just teeing off of my fuel line. The primer has two check valves so it should work.

Full_Monte
02-13-2009, 12:45 PM
One thing I would look at is what the boat rental companies use on their rental boats. I believe you can't go wrong with a Yamaha T-8, but when I see a boat rental company buying 60 Mercury engines for their rental fleet, it makes me wonder why. Maybe price?

CurlysLures
02-13-2009, 09:22 PM
We have always used mercs in the past on our aluminum boats but lately i have been hearing that Yamaha motors are more reliable. I was just curious if I got the same feedback from all you kokaholics

Digi-Troller
02-14-2009, 12:54 AM
Maybe I'm an oddball here, but we use a mercury 8hp long shaft. Its on my 18.5 foot fiberglass boat, and works great. My boat is very heavy, and is loaded with tons of extras... and it pushes it fine. This motor has been very reliable for the last 3 years. My uncle has been using a 9.9 merc on his similar boat for around 10 years. Great motors! The only thing I'd prefer is a 4 stroke motor just for convenience of not having to mix the gas.

Full_Monte
02-14-2009, 07:27 AM
My 25 hp Yamaha 2-stroke doesn't require pre-mixing oil with gas. It has an oil tank inside the engine lid. Nice setup. I don't know if the smaller Yamahas have this feature or not. Here in the land of kooks and nuts, you can't use a 2-stroke on some lakes like Tahoe. I heard that the kooks will be rolling out this policy to all lakes in the state, but don't know when that will happen.

AFDan52
02-14-2009, 01:37 PM
Ok, guys tell you what. I'm buying my new T8 Yamaha high-thrust in the next 2-3 weeks. When I get the chance to use it on my boat this year, I will post my report. I am thinking that the reason those rental places buy so many motors of the same kind is that they get a very good deal on bulk quantity. JMHOstomper

nob
02-14-2009, 06:03 PM
I bought a 2008 suzuki 9.9 xlong hi-thrust power tilt and start,,, what a great motor !! I have it on a 20 ft 88 jet craft ( heavy boat inboard jet) and it ran great all last season. it came with a 5 pitch prop so it doesnt have to idle all the way down, and it works great with my new garmin tr1 auto pilot ,, any way good luck with your new motor ,,, t8's are great also, a freind of mine has had one for 5 years with no problems.