PDA

View Full Version : How to break your favorite downrigger rod?

Full_Monte
02-12-2009, 09:46 AM
I used to fish King Salmon in the ocean with downriggers, but can't remember how I broke the tips off a couple downrigger rods. I don't want to do the same with the new Koke rods I'm getting, so I'm looking for some advice on the subject. I hope your memory is better than mine!

One More Pass
02-12-2009, 12:45 PM
Just make sure your line isn't wrapped around the tip when you send the weight down.

Fallriverguy
02-12-2009, 01:14 PM
Make sure your new rod does not fall between you and the downrigger when reaching over the side for the release.

SilverBullets
02-12-2009, 01:46 PM
When you have to lift your rod to release, if it doesn't come off after a few tries, stop... the line might be fouled up on the clip.

Full_Monte
02-12-2009, 02:19 PM
I guess I could add...make sure your drag or clicker is set correctly before sending down the weight.....

Kokehead83
02-12-2009, 03:15 PM
So I have broken a few by my own dumb luck like having the rod in my jeep and rolling the window up while the tip was about an inch out side. That was a great move also if you have young kids like I do keep the rods away from them till they start fishing. Don't trip over them breaking them yeah I can go on for a bit more but I’ll stop.

Ben

SuperD
02-12-2009, 03:38 PM
Some of my koke rods are real brittle at the tip and I've lost an inch on a few of them for no apparent reason. Putting new tips on them hasn't caused any difference I can feel and still fish with all of them.

Stanson
02-12-2009, 03:57 PM
fencingI think most of the tips being broken off are caused by contact with some like the tip getting pincked or something falling on the tip so when the fish stricks your bait, it will brake were the damage was letting you to think the fish broke the tip. So care in handling of your rods and storing them in protected area will help reduce the possible damage to you rods