PDA

View Full Version : Who's going to the Gorge this year

Elk Hunter
02-09-2009, 10:33 PM
I am heading back on June 14th for a 2 week vacation. Will be staying at the Manila KOA again and can't wait only 4 months and then it's FG koke time, macs and a little river rafting.

Fishon18
02-09-2009, 10:39 PM
Elk Hunter,

We plan on being there from June 19-26. Staying In Buckboard for the week. See ya there..

Scott

Elk Hunter
02-09-2009, 11:10 PM
We plan on being there from June 19-26.

Hope your bringing a new ice chest this year. laugh hyst

Kokaholic
02-09-2009, 11:23 PM
Myself and Petty will be at the KOA in manila the 23rd of June till the 28th. Staying in one of the cabins. Look forward to seeing you guys that come up then. Will have a Gray suburban with a Green Tracker deep V16. You wont miss us.

dunnigan jim
02-09-2009, 11:33 PM
GOING TOO We'll be leaving CA. on the 5th july to fish the gorge . I hope you guys leave us some fish. Be there for 5 days.

Kokaholic
02-09-2009, 11:45 PM
Will save you some. thumbsup

Elk Hunter
02-10-2009, 01:06 AM
Mark
Good to see you at the Sac ISE, and looking forward to good fish stories in KOA again this year.

Alan

Petty4life
02-10-2009, 04:23 AM
Mark
Good to see you at the Sac ISE, and looking forward to good fish stories in KOA again this year.

Alan

Alan, Didn't realize that was you glad you finally made it over. and looking forward to seeing you again at the gorgethumbsup

AFDan52
02-10-2009, 04:33 PM
I'm hoping to make over there this year , even if it means hitching a ride with someone .

Elk Hunter
02-10-2009, 07:54 PM
I'm hoping to make over there this year , even if it means hitching a ride with someone .

Keep in touch it is looking like I will have an open seat for the 2nd week and maybe part of the 1st, the wife and daughter will only fish a couple of days at most

Kokaholic
02-10-2009, 11:01 PM
YOu to Alan. Looking forward to this summer.

Kokehead
02-11-2009, 02:28 PM
I will be up there at least twice a month, mostly launching from the cedar springs marina fishing the jarvis canyon area. But will work my way north as the season progresses. Look forward to running into any forum members along the way.

Propnut69
02-11-2009, 06:37 PM
CRapppppppppppp, I was hoping everyone would stay home this year,and I would have the lake to myself.laugh hystlaugh hyst . For you that are coming to the gorge for the first time,it will be a great opportunity to experience a blue ribbon trophy kokanee fishery. For those that are coming back,you know what it all about, that's why your coming back. I wish you all a good season on the water ,no matter where that might be.

One More Pass
02-11-2009, 08:39 PM
BigDog and I will be there July13th thru the16th. We will be on the north end.

wahoohunter
02-13-2009, 02:41 PM
GOING TOO We'll be leaving CA. on the 5th july to fish the gorge . I hope you guys leave us some fish. Be there for 5 days.
Our first night there will be on the 5th, also for 5 days. Planning to fish out of Buckboard Marina.
Hey dunnigan-did you get out for stripers last year? How was the action for you?

AFDan52
02-13-2009, 05:18 PM
Hey Elk Hunter, I will stay in touch and thank you . I think I'm going to be getting a new truck very shortly as mine is having some issues right now and that is why I Posted about hitching a ride. I'll let you know what happens in any case.

vvBob
02-13-2009, 11:45 PM
I'll be there June 16th to June 30th. Staying at Buckboard RV Park. Stop by for a cool one.

Petty4life
02-13-2009, 11:48 PM
I'll be there June 16th to June 30th. Staying at Buckboard RV Park. Stop by for a cool one.

well defantly hookup with ya Bob

Ron G
02-14-2009, 10:32 PM
I have reservations in june at Lucerne. I'm thinking about changing my plans to July. I have some friends that are RVing it at Buckboard in july, I may follow them up.

Kokaholic
02-15-2009, 12:23 AM
For you guys coming over in July, Remember the 4th of July holiday and in Utah the 24th of July is also a holiday for Pioneeer Days. If they fall close to a weekend, the few days before and after are really hectic at the Gorge. Lots of pleasure boaters and such. Manilla is really busy with folks for those days. If you can plan your trips around those days, You should find your trip up here will be much more enjoyable.

A few other things, The gorge has its own weather system with the Uintah mountains right there. You can usually watch the storm clouds build as the day grows and watch the wind come up. If you are in a smaller boat, KEEP AN EYE TO THE SKY!!. The gorge can be a dangerous place when the wind comes up in front of these storms that build up. Petty and I got caught in one a few years ago and took 5' footers over the front of my boat. We got to shore and sat it out in a cove for two hours and made a break when we could. Pretty darn scarey.

If you guys get questions about making your trip up this way more enjoyable and relaxing, Let us know. We can talk here or by phone so that you can come prepared to have a great time.

Looking forward to getting together with those of you that will be up here this summer.

Later,

Mark

dunnigan jim
02-15-2009, 12:47 AM
wahoo we should be there on the 6th . staying at squall hollow with the group. yup did good on the stripers, trolling and bait . 1 or 2 more striper/dino trips then to the lakes for trout. if we get any water in the PONDS. looking forward to the gorge trip ..i'll have the north river with all the stickers on it .

Bduck
02-15-2009, 06:44 AM
I should be there for the challengefencing

wahoohunter
02-15-2009, 11:34 AM
Kokaholic-thanks for the info, much appreciated-I'll pass it on
dunnigan-I'll be lookin' for you-I'll buy you a beer

Full_Monte
02-15-2009, 12:20 PM
For you guys coming over in July, Remember the 4th of July holiday and in Utah the 24th of July is also a holiday for Pioneeer Days. If they fall close to a weekend, the few days before and after are really hectic at the Gorge. Lots of pleasure boaters and such. Manilla is really busy with folks for those days. If you can plan your trips around those days, You should find your trip up here will be much more enjoyable.

A few other things, The gorge has its own weather system with the Uintah mountains right there. You can usually watch the storm clouds build as the day grows and watch the wind come up. If you are in a smaller boat, KEEP AN EYE TO THE SKY!!. The gorge can be a dangerous place when the wind comes up in front of these storms that build up. Petty and I got caught in one a few years ago and took 5' footers over the front of my boat. We got to shore and sat it out in a cove for two hours and made a break when we could. Pretty darn scarey.

If you guys get questions about making your trip up this way more enjoyable and relaxing, Let us know. We can talk here or by phone so that you can come prepared to have a great time.

Looking forward to getting together with those of you that will be up here this summer.

Later,

Mark

Sounds pretty awful! I've been in big waves on the Pacific and in the Sea of Cortez, but I'm really surprised that the Gorge can really deliver a punch like that. Never having been there, I thought it was calmer than that.

vvBob
02-15-2009, 01:18 PM
Last year we had 60mph winds one afternoon.....So when the wind starts to pick up, it "usually" a sign that's it's going to get rough.

ll kaidoy ll
02-15-2009, 06:31 PM
Last year we had 60mph winds one afternoon.....So when the wind starts to pick up, it "usually" a sign that's it's going to get rough.

Yeah Bob, I remember those winds. We actually had windstorms like that the past 2 years. It was pretty brutal. Then after a few hours, it will just die down and be flat calm. Crazy!

Anyways, to any of the members, how is the weather in July at the Gorge? The past 2 years, I've gone in the middle to end of June (usually left on Father's Day weekend) from Sacramento, CA for about a week. I never had to deal with any of these thunderstorms or hail storms that everyone tells me about...just have dealt with the high wind gusts. Any tips and info would be helpful. I've heard of golf to baseball sized hail. :eek:

HiTechKoke
02-15-2009, 06:44 PM
Hey Kaidoy - Good to see you hear and I'll bet you are not Striper / Dino fishing this weekend with this much rain and storms.

I went 7-31-08 to 8-3-08 last year and we had a few afternoons where the weather built up but we just came in to relax and toured around as we C & R'd enough each day by that point anyway. I'd reco going later anyway just to be at the peak of the big Kokes before they really start turning. You've probably seen my post from last year on KP so the fish speak for themselves.

Kevin

FishHunter
02-15-2009, 06:54 PM
...Anyways, to any of the members, how is the weather in July at the Gorge? The past 2 years, I've gone in the middle to end of June (usually left on Father's Day weekend) from Sacramento, CA for about a week. I never had to deal with any of these thunderstorms or hail storms that everyone tells me about...just have dealt with the high wind gusts. Any tips and info would be helpful. I've heard of golf to baseball sized hail. :eek:

Last year the weather was okay. The storms will roll in in the afternoon and the wind will pick-up. It is a great time to get off the lake, take a nap and re-rig for the evening fishing. It is hot though, very hot.

ll kaidoy ll
02-15-2009, 07:00 PM
Hey Kaidoy - Good to see you hear and I'll bet you are not Striper / Dino fishing this weekend with this much rain and storms.

I went 7-31-08 to 8-3-08 last year and we had a few afternoons where the weather built up but we just came in to relax and toured around as we C & R'd enough each day by that point anyway. I'd reco going later anyway just to be at the peak of the big Kokes before they really start turning. You've probably seen my post from last year on KP so the fish speak for themselves.

Kevin

Hey Kevin! Good to hear from you too! What are you talking about? Of course I went out! My dad and I got into the Stripers pretty good! We got multiple fish in the teens with the biggest at 20 lbs. At last count, we had 16 to the boat...and then I woke up! Doh! tongue2 Haha!

Anyways, yeah I remember your trip that you took. The fish were a huge difference compared to when I went at the end of June. The year before that (2007) was when we got into bigger fish in June, which is why we went back in 2008 around the same time. This year, my schedule is a lot busier since I'm actually a "working adult" now and not a college student anymore. I've got a project implementation at the end of May, which might get pushed back to June as we are behind schedule, a friend's wedding on June 6th, and another friend's wedding on July 2nd. With all this going on, it just seems safer to make my FG plans for July this year. I've just always heard horror stories about these thunderstorms and hail storms (I'm just worried about the hail). I just want to try and prevent any damage to my "babies" (the truck and boat). ;)

ll kaidoy ll
02-15-2009, 07:03 PM
Last year the weather was okay. The storms will roll in in the afternoon and the wind will pick-up. It is a great time to get off the lake, take a nap and re-rig for the evening fishing. It is hot though, very hot.

Yeah, I know all about those wind storms as I've been to FG at the end of June for two years in a row now. There's always been a day each week where the wind rolls in with gusts to 60 mph. However, most of the time it was maybe 10 to 20 mph. I'm already prepared for that. :)

Kokaholic
02-15-2009, 11:03 PM
July and August at the gorge are nice. They can get pretty warm though. However, There have been snow storms over there in July also! No kidding. Chances are slim it will happen though. More than likely just hot.

One other thing that all of you new guys will need to know about. Flaming Gorge is a Forest service lake all the way around. You will need to purchase a Forest Service pass when you get your licenses for your trip. These Forest service tags are 35.00 for a season. They go from Jan-Dec. You have to have one to launch at any of the launch areas and use the facilities.

Also read the regs carefully. you cannot fillet any lake trout at the Cleaning stations. You also need to leave some skin on your othe fillets for identification. All of the rainbows that I have ever caught at FG have had nice pink/orange meat and can be construed.

If you all get any more questions, Holler at us so we can make your trip up this way enjoyable.

ll kaidoy ll
02-15-2009, 11:14 PM
July and August at the gorge are nice. They can get pretty warm though. However, There have been snow storms over there in July also! No kidding. Chances are slim it will happen though. More than likely just hot.

One other thing that all of you new guys will need to know about. Flaming Gorge is a Forest service lake all the way around. You will need to purchase a Forest Service pass when you get your licenses for your trip. These Forest service tags are 35.00 for a season. They go from Jan-Dec. You have to have one to launch at any of the launch areas and use the facilities.

Also read the regs carefully. you cannot fillet any lake trout at the Cleaning stations. You also need to leave some skin on your othe fillets for identification. All of the rainbows that I have ever caught at FG have had nice pink/orange meat and can be construed.

If you all get any more questions, Holler at us so we can make your trip up this way enjoyable.

Thanks for the weather info about July and August Kokaholic! It makes me feel a little easier now. :) It just sounds like the same weather we usually encounter in June.

I totally agree with you about those FG Rainbows! Their meat is the same bright orange color as the Kokanee. They even are similar in taste too!

camotracker
02-17-2009, 07:35 PM
it's on my hit list for this year

dunnigan jim
02-17-2009, 11:14 PM
I've been told to purchase a license from Utah then get a Wyoming stamp. to fish at FG. We can get our Utah licence online, but can we pick up the Wyo. stamp after we get there? Where do we get the forest service tag?

Kokaholic
02-18-2009, 06:54 AM
That would be my suggestion also. Buy Utah license on line, then depending on which way you come in.

IF you come through Green river, you can get your stamp and Forest service tag at the Ace hardware in Green River. You drive right past them to get out to the lake.

If you come through Manilla, Then I would suggest the MAvrick store in Mountain view. They have them both and you drive right past this station also.

dunnigan jim
02-18-2009, 07:46 PM
THNX KOKAHOLIC We willl be going thu Green River . Just starting to get the trip set up so that we don't forget anything. Some of the guys have been there before ,but we are showing up a day later due to someones wife's b-day is the 4th of july. I think he's afraid of her .. lol

Petty4life
02-18-2009, 08:18 PM
we are showing up a day later due to someones wife's b-day is the 4th of july. I think he's afraid of her .. lol

LOLlaugh hystlaugh hystlaugh hyst

Fallriverguy
02-20-2009, 01:01 PM
I hope to make it there this year.

SuperD
02-20-2009, 03:56 PM
Lucerne campground, site #12, loop "D" - June 19th to the 26th. My mind is in mental countdown with 4 months to go. tooexcited

Petty4life
02-20-2009, 04:11 PM
Lucerne campground, site #12, loop "D" - June 19th to the 26th. My mind is in mental countdown with 4 months to go. tooexcited

Man wish you where there one more day. where having a kff challenge on june 27th and a kokanee dinner afterwards.

SuperD
02-20-2009, 04:26 PM
Well, if anyone sneaks into camp a day early, I'll tell them what I know. :)

Man wish you where there one more day. where having a kff challenge on june 27th and a kokanee dinner afterwards.

Petty4life
02-20-2009, 04:37 PM
Well, if anyone sneaks into camp a day early, I'll tell them what I know. :)

I'll be there the 24-27 so well have to hookup sometime during the week.thumbsup

SuperD
02-20-2009, 04:43 PM
Do you Utah guys still hale on ch 16 and switch over? Us CA guys just chat on ch 69 so we have to learn how to communicate with you guys on the water.

Kokaholic
02-20-2009, 09:08 PM
Yes, we stay on 16 and when someone calls us we go to another channel.

Lee B
03-18-2009, 10:24 PM
Last year did 6 weeks at FG.This year will be at Buckboard RV Park from June 2nd till Aug 15. Hope to meet many of you while we are there.

dunnigan jim
03-30-2009, 12:07 PM
Getting ready for the Gorge . leaving sun. july 5th from the sac. area returning on the 11th july. We may have 2 seats available for the trip. One of the guys wants to take his jetcraft also . If anyone is enterested in sharing the cost to go let me know. PM me or email at james6290@sbcglobal.net.. I'm leaving for FL. to do some Tarpon fishing on 4/1 be back on 4/8..

TBtoad
04-15-2009, 11:18 PM
We will be there on the 13th of July thru the 17th. We are staying at Lucerne and are looking forward to the trip. Any ideas on spots to fish out of Lucerne? I have talked to several people in our Koknee Power chapter and they all say they loved the Gorge.
Thanks
TBtoad

bobco
04-16-2009, 09:21 AM
going this Saturday and Sunday, but the kokes are safe this will be a lake trout excursion for sure......

SuperD
05-06-2009, 11:16 AM
It must be getting close, I've gone into my Gorge tackle buying mode. laugh hyst

TBtoad
05-14-2009, 07:25 PM
We are going to the Gorge on July 13th. We are staying at Lucerne. I understand the tournament starts then. It will probably be crowded at that time. Does anyone know how far from Lucerne you go to find good fishing?
TBtoad

ll kaidoy ll
05-14-2009, 09:58 PM
We are going to the Gorge on July 13th. We are staying at Lucerne. I understand the tournament starts then. It will probably be crowded at that time. Does anyone know how far from Lucerne you go to find good fishing?
TBtoad

What tournament is on the 13th?

SuperD
05-15-2009, 10:19 AM
TBtoad, the Pipeline is about a 5 - 10 minute run north from Lucerne Marina. Fishing from just south of the Pipeline and heading north will get you some close action.