PDA

View Full Version : Winter Kokanee at LBC

Fallriverguy
02-08-2009, 04:58 PM
Saturday I fished LBC (Lake Billy Chinook) with my cousin. Right out from the boat ramp in 38-45 feet of water the Kokanee were schooled up on the bottom. With the new lower limit of 5 fish each it took about an hour to catch our limit with many missed fish. We were jigging with pink/white Gibbs minnow. The fish are still small and ranged from 10.5 to 11.5 inches. They still ate great. The water temp was 49 at the surface and there was evidence the fish were feeding already.

After getting our Kokanee we fished for Bull Trout for the rest of the day. We each caught a fish. One was small at 18 inches and the other was 23.5". It was a great day on the water with sun and little wind.

http://momentoffame.com/photopost/data/501/medium/LBC_Bull1.JPG

BlackTalon
02-09-2009, 01:33 AM
Thanks for the report. I have begun thinking of heading that way soon.

Evan

Fallriverguy
02-10-2009, 10:58 AM
When the sun is out and the wind is low it is great place to fish in late Winter.

SilverBullets
02-10-2009, 02:01 PM
Great report FRG, thanks for sharing! Bet you can hardly wait for Wickiup to thaw...

Petty4life
02-10-2009, 02:15 PM
Open water... I'm so jealousworthy12

RC McKokanee
02-16-2009, 06:47 PM
where is this lake billy chinook located in oregon ? two years ago i camped at lake waldo. i think they should rename it lake mosquito, but it was a beautiful clear lake. we didnt fish there but did fish another lake just a few miles away that we walked around. and we visited odell and there was wind like i never seen before. but i heard the fishing was good there. do they still have a 25 fish limit on kokanee there?

Fallriverguy
02-16-2009, 07:18 PM
There is still a 25 fish limit at Odell. And yes, the wind can make it interesting at Odell.

LBC is located just outside of Madras. From Waldo that is North and a little East about 100 miles.

Full_Monte
02-18-2009, 11:15 AM
Excuse my ignorance...what is a Bull Trout? Is it a species or just a large Rainbow or Brown?

Edit: I just found out from talking to someone up north that it's a Dolly Varden. Apparently, they eat the Kokanee. Never knew that.

Kokaholic
02-20-2009, 09:33 PM
He Guys. here is a litttle info on the Bull trout that was pointed out to me that might answer a few questions. I fixed the web address. should work now.

http://library.fws.gov/Pubs1/bulltrout.pdf

Mark