PDA

View Full Version : Superstitions

MackPrince
02-08-2009, 03:54 PM
Throughout the history of fishing people have held many superstitions about good or bad luck. A great example is in last season of Deadliest Catch where the captain of Wizard held off fishing until he was able to locate a cup of noodles to use as a spittoon. What are some of your superstitions about fishing?

One thing I always do is toss a bit of my bait into the water whenever I catch a fish to keep the good luck. Another is that an eagle flying overhead means a good day of fishing.

oldguysrule
02-08-2009, 06:14 PM
FEED THE BIRDS When ever I go out I will feed the birds that is good luck to all who takes from the water to give back to the birds They can be your best friend especialy on salt water. worthy12thumbsup

Kokehead
02-08-2009, 06:57 PM
I can't tell you my superstition that's bad luck.;) I always give to the water before I start to fish, you give you take, an old Indian friend once told me, and holds to be true (most of the time)

SilverBullets
02-08-2009, 08:16 PM
I concider seeing deer on the way up to the lake in the early mornings a good luck thing, in addition to my "Pro-Cure" or "Eskimo Joe's" lucky hats. I also wipe my hands with the slime of the first kokanee caught. thumbsup

Elk Hunter
02-08-2009, 08:58 PM
Got to get the net wetthumbsup

Kokanee Killer
02-08-2009, 10:27 PM
I concider seeing deer on the way up to the lake in the early mornings a good luck thing, in addition to my "Pro-Cure" or "Eskimo Joe's" lucky hats. I also wipe my hands with the slime of the first kokanee caught. thumbsup
i slime tootooexcited

Propnut69
02-10-2009, 11:52 AM
Absolutely no banana's on my boat.This goes back to the old pirate days.Banana's were said to bring bad luck to a ship. I have different hats for different bodies of water that I fish.Sundays mornings we always say a small prayer on the water,before we start to fish. My son usually asks for a little extra help,when he is trying to out fish the ole man.

Full_Monte
02-10-2009, 12:08 PM
My son usually asks for a little extra help,when he is trying to out fish the ole man.

Propnuts...he's probably praying you'll let him use some of the new shiny lures and dodgers you use instead of that 20 year-old super duper he usually gets!thumbsup

SilverBullets
02-10-2009, 12:58 PM
Propnuts...he's probably praying you'll let him use some of the new shiny lures and dodgers you use instead of that 20 year-old super duper he usually gets!thumbsup

thumbsupNow you have to admit, THAT'S funny!!!laugh hyst

Petty4life
02-10-2009, 01:01 PM

Thats why i take my own tackle when i fish with propnut.laugh hystfencingworthy12

SilverBullets
02-10-2009, 01:23 PM
Thats why i take my own tackle when i fish with propnut.laugh hystfencingworthy12

Sounds like a good idea Petty! I rig up the setups for my Dad and I, and one time out I was having pretty good luck on my side of the boat. Dad decided after a while he would reel in and check his lure. Well, lo and behold, I guess I forgot to take the plastic hook protector off! He gave me a dirty look. I guess it did give me a bit of an advantage, but it was an accident, I swear!laugh hyst

Propnut69
02-10-2009, 04:49 PM
thumbsupNow you have to admit, THAT'S funny!!!laugh hyst

That is funny,mostly cuz it's true.He's a grown man if he wants the shiny stuff he can buy it.

Kokehead83
02-11-2009, 10:17 AM
NO bananas, and no yellow unless it's a rod or lure. Always pray befor you leave the dock. must have my camels and beer on the boat. Possitive attitude i would have to say is key if i'm in a bad mood and fishing seriously i shouldhave just stayed in bed.

Ben

SilverBullets
02-11-2009, 11:09 AM
Friday the 13th is coming right up. If anyone is going out fishing Friday...GOOD LUCK!!!laugh hyst

Full_Monte
02-12-2009, 10:37 AM
I'm superstitious about forgetting to put the drain plug in the boat before I launch. It seems like I have bad luck immediately. :mad::rolleyes:

Bduck
02-12-2009, 11:57 AM
I grew up with old skool fishermen in the family. Dad always told me to hold my &%#* mouth right if I'm going catch anything. Sometimes I think I'm still trying to do that.:confused:

Kokonuts
02-12-2009, 12:02 PM
I'm superstitious about forgetting to put the drain plug in the boat before I launch. It seems like I have bad luck immediately. :mad::rolleyes:

Monte.......I can relate to that one! The very first time I launched my new old boat I forgot it & of course my wife was at the dock taking pictures! By the time I came back from parking the trailer..........The worst part was the pictures...............Kokonuts crymeariver laugh hyst

SuperD
02-12-2009, 04:37 PM
When fishing is slow, I grab the pee jug to help invoke a strike. Having both hands occupied or trying to drink a cup of coffee often brings a bite.

SilverBullets
02-12-2009, 05:04 PM
While netting a kokanee after being out on the water only 10 minutes, never say "wow, that was easy, we'll be going home early today!".
Also, when your 1 kok away from limiting out, never, EVER, say..."this won't take long".laugh hyst

SuperD
02-12-2009, 06:03 PM
Losing the first fish at the back of the boat has always seems to spell disaster for the rest of the day.