PDA

View Full Version : About keeping rust off your tackle

Full_Monte
02-08-2009, 12:46 PM
I have learned that, left in a tackle box in the garage for any period of time, my tackle, especially hooks can get rusty. I've learned that one thing to do is never put wet terminal tackle back in the tackle box. This is probably a no-brainer to most of you. My Dad always used to put mothballs in the tackle box to drive oxygen out, making corrosion unlikely. However, I always have wondered if the mothball smell was objectionable to the fish.
What do you guys do?

Digi-Troller
02-08-2009, 06:24 PM
I always store my tackle inside, and always open every box. They are all stacked, open, in the house right now. Also, like has been said, dont put your tackle away wet. Doing these things has pretty much eliminated all rust problems for me.

SilverBullets
02-08-2009, 11:29 PM
I don't have any rust problems either. I also think drying things off before putting them away is a good idea, and to store lures indoors. Another thing to do is make sure all gel scents are wiped off, and keep the dodgers and blades polished. The only problem I've had lately is beads melting inside of hoochies.

Full_Monte
02-09-2009, 09:52 AM
I'm beginning to think that storing tackle in an unheated garage is an invitation to rust. Because of humidity and the temperature going up and down all the time, water can condense out of the air onto your tackle right inside the box.
An analogy for this is when you take a shower in your bathroom on a cold morning without heating up the bathroom. All of that water vapor collects on the mirror and walls. Now, there's not as much water in the air in your garage, but the principle is the same. While I don't want to store my tackle in the house, I'm beginning to think that I should put some of those desiccant bags in
each box to avoid the problem.