PDA

View Full Version : Kokanee Trolling Flies

SilverBullets
02-06-2009, 12:15 AM
Years ago when I first got into kokanee, I read Dave Biser's kokanee book. He mentioned the use of a "k" fly. This is a bright colored fly with the usual hook and a treble trailer added for koks. I bought some a few years back, but have yet to try them out. Check out these flies at www.trollingfly.com When I ordered these years ago I asked for red treble trailers, and ended up sending them the hooks as they had never been requested before. I see they incorporate the red trebles into some of their flies now. In Dave Biser's book these are mentioned alot, but I have never heard of anyone else useing them. I know bugs and koke-a-nuts work, and are close to the same type of lure. Because of my tackle addiction, I had to get a few to try out sometime. Have you ever used trolling flies for kokanee?

Fallriverguy
02-06-2009, 11:20 AM
Have not tried them yet, but there is no reason why they should not work. I have heard that Kokanee don't like fuzzy stuff, but I don't think that is true. If the color is right and action suits their fancy, it will work.

MackPrince
02-06-2009, 08:11 PM
I've had good luck with the "k" fly or "fisher" fly. I normally find them at the resorts made by the local company Silver Bullets mentioned, but get interesting looks at Sportsman's when I talk about them.

These work well tipped with 1-2 maggots set 18-20" behind a Ford Fender/Les Davis or similar lake troll. Bright red is a go to color around the April opener when the fish are above 25 feet. During the summer, pink or orange work good on the bright days.

Kokanee Killer
02-06-2009, 09:04 PM
yes when i was a kid in the 70s i remember my grandfather and me trolling mickey finns for trout and somedays we really got into the kokes,especially in spring on uor fav koke lake in ct,we trolled leadcore with dave davis lake trolls on a 4ft leader still deadly today we even trolled a pattern called gray ghost why the kokes took em is anyones guesstooexcitedtooexcited

Kokanee Killer
02-06-2009, 09:10 PM
oh btw does anyone knoe if dave biser updated his kokanee book? my copy is dated 1996 when kokes were smallish in ct now they are running a bit largerthumbsup

SilverBullets
02-06-2009, 10:32 PM
oh btw does anyone knoe if dave biser updated his kokanee book? my copy is dated 1996 when kokes were smallish in ct now they are running a bit largerthumbsup

The copy I have was published in 1998 and lists CT kokanee as 12"-13" in 3 seperate lakes. Thanks for all your responses, I'll have to give the flies a try this year. Might even use them inside a hoochie....should hold the scent well!