PDA

View Full Version : On Shuttle Hawks with Gary Miralles

Full_Monte
02-05-2009, 11:07 AM
Hi Guys,

I've been talking with Gary at Shasta Tackle about Shuttle Hawks, asking some questions about losing them off the wire and how to use his release. He gave me permission to post his answers here.

My message to Gary:

"Thanks for talking with me at the Sacramento ISE show. I have been going through the tackle and paying attention on the Kokanee Fishing Forum. Also, I've been viewing your downrigger fishing video.

Online, I've been reading that Shuttle Hawks occasionally fall off the downrigger line at the surface and get lost. How does one prevent this?
Also, I've seen it recommended more than once that one should remove the line release clip and replace it with one of the yellow ones with the sliding spring. Since I can't believe you would put an inferior release on such a great product, can you tell me what the secret is to using your line clip successfully?

Thanks for your help!"
-----------------------------------------------
His response to me:

"Monte

It was good seeing you at the show. The shuttle Hawk will not come off the 150 and 200 pound cable. It can come off the 100 pound cable. To prevent this, they can place a rubber band into the back release hole and over the front and slot after putting it on the cable.
If people understood how to use that release properly they would never go back to the off shore release. This release is different and most people don't take the time to learn how to use it. This release holds better and releases easier than any release made if used properly. The key is to Adjust the screw to the diameter of the line. Make a 3" loop between your thumb and forefinger slide your thumb up your forefinger so the line twist. Place the release into the top of the loop and pull the line into the release. Practice at home until perfected. Once set it will always hold the same every time. Well get together to fish and I will show you.

Thanks for asking.

Gary"
-----------------------------------------

Can you guys figure out the purpose of twisting the line in the loop? Is it to make it easier to pull the line into the release?

SilverBullets
02-05-2009, 11:26 AM
I had a similar discussion with Gary last summer at a seminar he had here, and he showed me his method of getting the release to work. I have never used it, and probably never will. In my opinion, you shouldn't have to do those extra things. From what I got out of it, he knew they were a problem. The offshore clips are easy to use, and have never failed me in the 6 years I've been useing them. Can't comment on the shuttle hawk, their still in the bottom of the tackle box and have never got wet.

Fallriverguy
02-05-2009, 11:45 AM
I used Gary's releases when I first started downrigger fishing. I had lots of trouble getting the tension correct. When I got the tension right so my hook to bite ratio was good, it started to compromise the line. After loosing several complete set-ups because the compromised line broke I switched to the Offshore clips. I have tried other releases as well and keep coming back to the Offshore clips. Open the clip, slide the line in an I am off and fishing. I don't have to try to put a loop and twist in my line with cold hands while getting bounced around on a choppy lake.

I have two Shuttle hawks and use them occasionally. However, with electric downriggers I have found stacking easier. I know some people really like them. One nice aspect I have found with them, is I catch fish while lowering them. You can really work the water column because the decent is slow.

SilverBullets
02-05-2009, 03:42 PM
Fallriverguy brings up a good point...working the water column. In Sep Hendrickson's book "Trolling Truths" he talks about "vertical hunting". This is a adjusting technique used to "tease" the fish to strike. By raising and lowering the ball it changes the speed, depth, direction and action of the lures. I have tried this in the past, and it not only works, but will give you a better idea of what depth the "sweet spot" is.
One disadvantage of the Shuttle Hawk in my opinion is the fact that it takes so long to get down. When a certain depth is working and the bite is on, I think getting your presentation down as quick as possible will put more fish in the boat. This is if your useing it in such a way as not having to bring your ball up (useing one rod).

Petty4life
02-05-2009, 04:12 PM
shuttle hawks are a great tool. but they still won't solve the worlds problemslaugh hyst

Digi-Troller
02-05-2009, 07:01 PM
Shuttle hawks do fall off 150 pound cable once they get worn a bit. And those releases do trash your line rather quickly. Those are the facts that I discovered through a few years of use. Still, the Shuttle is a good tool if you have a manual. If you dont, then just stack. Heres another vote for the almighty Offshore yellow releases for kokanee!

HiTechKoke
02-05-2009, 10:13 PM
I've said my peace on Shuttlehawks before and still love them even with my modifications. I can leave the bottom line down in the zone and rotate the top one more often. I tend to pick up a few more trout on the upper stacked line since they tend to be just above the kokes. I do switch the clip out of ignorance of usage. You can wear out a yellow clip over time. What happens is the rubber pad loses its grip because it becomes smooth. So if your line keeps popping out unexpectedly take a look at the pad and you likely see some smooth spots.