PDA

View Full Version : How to organize terminal tackle setups in the tackle box

Full_Monte
02-05-2009, 10:31 AM
Hello Guys,

I'm making up a lot of terminal setups so I'll be ready to fish. This includes a leader down to tandem hooks, bugs, hoochies, apexes, etc. I've been using some Tackle Buddys to keep them organized. Do you have any better way to do it? I'm also struggling with a box to contain a number of Tackle Buddys. The Plano 3700 series are big enough, but the main tray seperators get in the way. Thanks for any ideas!worthy12

AFDan52
02-05-2009, 10:56 AM
I was thinking about some kind of Box on my engine cover to hold a lot of ready to use stuff. Like Scents, lures, dodgers and the like. Anyone got ideas? Hope I didn't just HI-Jack your post.

KokeDealer
02-05-2009, 11:01 AM
I like tackle buddies and those little "dope sack" plastic bags

Fallriverguy
02-05-2009, 11:53 AM
I use pipe insulation. You can cut them to the size you need and stack the lures as close as you want. They are also lower in profile than the tackle buddies so I can fit them in a taller Plano box. I put a cut in the insulation to use as a line keeper.

http://momentoffame.com/photopost/data/501/tackle12.jpg

SilverBullets
02-05-2009, 01:00 PM
I use Plano box's and have all leaders coiled up and tied with wire ties cut to about an inch long. Years ago I was useing Fluorocarbon, but found that Maxima coiled up much better for storage. I just wrap the leaders up around two fingers, and wire tie. As an example, the regular size Plano box will hold 48 apex's...2 in each seperate compartment. Could probably hold more, but then tangles become an issue. In another box I've got around 40 hoochies and 16 wee-tads all with leaders tied up with the wire ties. The box's are great for storage and are all labeled as to what's in each one.

smokepoles
02-05-2009, 04:58 PM
My box looks a lot like silver bullets except I put the rigs in a small plastic craft bags with a press lock closure (get them at Wally's craft dept). I'll leave the non-lure end of leader out of corner of bag an inch or so, and just press it shut. To remove, grab the tag end, open bag and pull out. Works for me, but can see might have to change if had a lot more tackle.

Full_Monte
02-05-2009, 09:04 PM
I use pipe insulation. You can cut them to the size you need and stack the lures as close as you want. They are also lower in profile than the tackle buddies so I can fit them in a taller Plano box. I put a cut in the insulation to use as a line keeper.

You get the prize for your photo. What Plano Box do you use to put them in?
I'm using the 3700 series Plano boxes.

Full_Monte
02-05-2009, 09:06 PM
I use Plano box's and have all leaders coiled up and tied with wire ties cut to about an inch long. Years ago I was useing Fluorocarbon, but found that Maxima coiled up much better for storage. I just wrap the leaders up around two fingers, and wire tie. As an example, the regular size Plano box will hold 48 apex's...2 in each seperate compartment. Could probably hold more, but then tangles become an issue. In another box I've got around 40 hoochies and 16 wee-tads all with leaders tied up with the wire ties. The box's are great for storage and are all labeled as to what's in each one.

Good idea, too. I'm not sure how you avoid tangles, but I guess you do.

twisted lines
02-06-2009, 07:15 PM
I like tackle buddies and those little "dope sack" plastic bags

I use lots of those bags, in these bags! with apex, hoochies, wedding rings, wee tads, pretied leaders; & one bag for dodgers, all sorted by colors. Take one box for jigs, releases, spoons etc; and hope I don't have time for the other box the components beads & blades. Big boat Trout box may go little boat knot.

MackPrince
02-06-2009, 07:56 PM
Check with Kokonuts on how he made up some nice buckets for cheap. They have 9 pipe insulators like Fallriverguy's and allow for extra gear to stay snag free but handy.

Kokaholic
02-06-2009, 08:14 PM
Oh My Hell! You guys are killing me! I could only wish for some time to be able to sit down and get my tackle so organized.!worthy12

Kokanee Killer
02-06-2009, 09:14 PM

now thats organized looks really professional great job.

Kokaholic
02-06-2009, 09:20 PM
I do like the idea of the black foam. that looks good. Maybe someday I will be able to get that organized. Until then................ I will just have to deal with it.thumbsup

Petty4life
02-06-2009, 09:27 PM
I do like the idea of the black foam. that looks good. Maybe someday I will be able to get that organized. Until then................ I will just have to deal with it.thumbsup

Oh whatever. stop crymeariver your just as organized as I amthumbsup

Kokaholic
02-06-2009, 09:33 PM
NOt quite, But i am getting closer.

AFDan52
02-07-2009, 12:45 AM
I really like that Black foam idea myself, looks like I might be going shopping .

Full_Monte
02-07-2009, 09:41 AM
Check with Kokonuts on how he made up some nice buckets for cheap. They have 9 pipe insulators like Fallriverguy's and allow for extra gear to stay snag free but handy.

Kokonuts are you there? How about telling the big secret on these "organization buckets"?

I've been thinking that stacking the pipe insulators vertically in a soft-sided cooler (with a hard insert bucket) would be a good way to do it. What do you guys think?

MackPrince
02-07-2009, 02:03 PM
I'd post a pic of the bucket rig Kokonuts gave me last summer, but in the winter shuffle it seems to have been lost somewhere in the garage.

He used a square bucket w/appx 10-12" sides. He then installed three rows of pipe vertically that the insulators slide over. It has enough space in between the tubes that I was able to fit extra line and tools inside as well.

vvBob
02-07-2009, 08:51 PM
I call this my Leader Pole....Very useful for Trout fishing, because I am not using any dodgers, so leader length is not an issue. It's 3/4" PVC sch 40. It will hold about 30 setups.
I would imagine you could use this for Apexs & spoons trolled naked.
http://i194.photobucket.com/albums/z145/vvbob/Leaderpole.jpg

The handle is sheet cork, about 5 layers.
http://i194.photobucket.com/albums/z145/vvbob/LeaderPoleHandle.jpg
Radius the inside so swivels fit.
http://i194.photobucket.com/albums/z145/vvbob/LeaderPoleEnd.jpg

Kokonuts
02-08-2009, 12:54 AM
The buckets that I made up for the foam lure holders are easy to put togrther. I will try to post pictures asap!

I used a small square bucket that holds nails & screws that I get from work. Any small bucket would work & I like the idea from Bullets about using the insulated lunch box for bait. Anyway just get some 1/2"pvc pipe, cut about 6" long, glue a cap on one end. Take your bucket upside down & layout room for the rows of pipes evenly so there is enough room for the foam & lures on them. Then take a self taping metal screw go thru the bottom of the bucket into the cap on the pipe. "Bingo" the bucket will hold plenty for a days fishing and its easy to replace the foames with different lures for the next day! thumbsup

SilverBullets
02-08-2009, 11:57 AM
Since this thread is about tackle organization, I thought I'd share what I incorporated into the boat a few years back. On the Smoker Craft we carry around 15 Plano box's full of kok lures, and storage was a issue. What I came up with was a table built for lure setup preparation, custom fit into the curvature of the boat around 3 1/2' long between the middle port side seat storage box and the front bench. It's about 1 1/2' wide, and has a shelf below for Plano box storage. Below that is room for more tackle and the gas tank. When we're useing certain lures, I then revolve the box's being used from other storage areas to the shelf where they are easier to get to for lure preparation on the table. Since all leaders are coiled up with wire ties, most days I've got at least 20 different lure/dodger combinations out on the table ready for action. Very little time is wasted switching to different setups.

Full_Monte
02-08-2009, 12:40 PM
Cheezus, Silver Bullets,

You've got to be kidding me! Fifteen tackle boxes? I bet the tackle shop guys know you by name, and all your family and their birthdays!laugh hyst Do they roll out the red carpet when you enter the store?

I like your idea of the table. I'm going to have to re-think the organization of my 15 1/2 foot Gregor with downriggers and tackle going in. Do you have any photos of your setup?

SilverBullets
02-08-2009, 01:58 PM
Well Monte, I'm afraid it's a little worse then that. I usually have to leave about 5 Plano box's full of kok lures at home. If you count lures for other species, the Plano box's add up to 34 and 2 regular tackle box's. I make alot of my own kokanee lures, and like to customize the store bought ones. Don't ask about dodgers. I guess being single has it's advantages. I can't post pictures, but if you have any questions about building a table shoot me a PM, I'd be glad to help. I also built a custom rod storage and tackle rack for the den, it holds 13 rods and has 4 shelf's, enough space for all the Plano box's with a top shelf for extra reels.

oldguysrule
02-08-2009, 06:47 PM
I use the foam on my Grab bars on the center part of my boat to also tell which colors I have used. Then i can tell easier which colors are not working on that day. thumbsup

Full_Monte
02-09-2009, 10:49 AM
The buckets that I made up for the foam lure holders are easy to put togrther. I will try to post pictures asap!

I used a small square bucket that holds nails & screws that I get from work. Any small bucket would work & I like the idea from Bullets about using the insulated lunch box for bait. Anyway just get some 1/2"pvc pipe, cut about 6" long, glue a cap on one end. Take your bucket upside down & layout room for the rows of pipes evenly so there is enough room for the foam & lures on them. Then take a self taping metal screw go thru the bottom of the bucket into the cap on the pipe. "Bingo" the bucket will hold plenty for a days fishing and its easy to replace the foames with different lures for the next day! thumbsup

Thanks for the reply, Kokonuts. I like the idea of using square buckets because they are easier to store on the boat than round ones. I'm currently looking for square buckets, and so far have found the ones they use for kitty litter. I think they're a little too big.

Fallriverguy
02-09-2009, 11:46 AM
You get the prize for your photo. What Plano Box do you use to put them in?
I'm using the 3700 series Plano boxes.

I thought it was a Plano box, but is not. It is very similar. My tackle box was sold has an Art Box, but it looks like a Plano to me. Anywho, the box is 3 inches tall if that is of any help.

Kokehead83
02-10-2009, 02:50 PM
What I do for organization is use the 3700 size box I too cut pipe insulation to fit the length of the box I use little pins that I started taking for the wife’s sowing box now got so much tackle I think I’m the only gut in the store buying boxes of needles to hold my tackle in place. Any way it looks just like Fallriverguy's set up. This way you can have one with spinners, hoochies, hoochie momas, apex, bugs, hairy bugs, spinner bugs, glow, uv, etc the list goes on and on. I heard once a salmon fisherman say he had STD i looked at him like dude what I didn't need to know that then he told me n Salmon Tackle Disease (STD) makes me laugh every time I hear STD.

Ben

Petty4life
02-10-2009, 02:53 PM
i guess i have a KTD (Kokanee Tackle Disease)

Full_Monte
02-16-2009, 01:54 PM
Thanks for all the great suggestions! I'm starting another thread to show what I've done with all your inputs!

DLM
04-24-2010, 10:41 PM
Here is what I use to store my hoochies and spinners. The yellow holders are about 6 inches long and I put 4 hoochies or spinners on each one. There are 18 here so that is 72 lures here. The plastic tray is a plano 3700. The yellow holders are available on-line from Hagens or from their catalog. You can also get them in a small tray from Cabela's, but the plano box fits better in my soft sided tackle box.

I hope this helps someone, it works great for me. (I store the spinners without blades, then put the blades on when needed)