PDA

View Full Version : Oregon Mandatory Boater Education Training

SilverBullets
02-02-2009, 10:01 PM
Just a reminder that beginning this year, all boaters are required to carry the card. This is a requirement for operators of any watercraft with a motor of more than 10 hp. For anyone around Bend, the Deschutes County Sheriff's Office (in conjunction with the Oregon State Marine Board) will be sponsoring free classes one night a month beginning in March and ending in October, 6-9pm. Call 541-388-6503 or 550-4856. The class lasts 3 hours. Additional information can be obtained by logging onto www.boatoregon.com, and clicking on the link "Boating and Water Safety".

HiTechKoke
02-02-2009, 10:44 PM
I wish California would do something like this but we're officially broke as a state!

Full_Monte
02-05-2009, 09:14 PM
I wish California would do something like this but we're officially broke as a state!

Don't say that too loud...California would charge you $200 for the course and license and make you renew it every two years. It's tough enough dealing with the Coast Guard Regs if you boat in salt water.

SilverBullets
02-06-2009, 11:20 AM
I'm not sure how many other states are requiring this coarse, but it's really a good idea seeing how some people act out on the water. Any kind of training to help save a life is a good thing, and hopefully cut down on alot of close calls. If it will train someone not to cut to close and snag my downrigger lines I'll be happy.thumbsup

Sportfishinsteve
03-13-2009, 11:57 AM
This is the first I've heard of this...but, I'm from Utah and we don't have that class. Wish we did though. I will be trailering my boat up there this summer....will I need to have the class to float it or can an out of state boat still put in without the class?

SilverBullets
03-13-2009, 01:10 PM
This is the first I've heard of this...but, I'm from Utah and we don't have that class. Wish we did though. I will be trailering my boat up there this summer....will I need to have the class to float it or can an out of state boat still put in without the class?

Exemptions include out of state boaters that are fishing Oregon waters for less than 60 consecutive days.

Dropshot
03-13-2009, 01:25 PM
You can also get the training manual and take the class/test on-line. I think there is a link at the Oregon Marine Board website. That's how I did it. Convenient, but you miss the classroom discussion which is always interesting.

Propnut69
03-14-2009, 12:55 AM
I always have mixed emotions about having to have a operator license to drive a boat. Yes I know that some people will become better boaters because of the training classes. These are the type of people that want to learn to become better boaters. Then you have the other types that don't give a rats behind about anyone but them selves. They will only take and pass the course because it is mandatory. Then they continue to be a pita to everyone else on the water. Then you get the state involved ,and it becomes a money maker for the state. If just having a license made some one a better operator,there would be no bad drivers on the highways. The people that become better drivers weather is a boat or a car ,do so because they want,not because they have a license. I hope I never see the day that Wyoming makes it a law to where you need a license to drive a boat

Bduck
03-14-2009, 07:45 AM
I tend to agree with Propnut. Most people today go thru a drivers training course of some type and maybe boats laws should be mentioned thru these courses. Not all are going to drive a boat. But having a valid drivers licence should do it. The focus should be put into our younger age groups. A DUI on the water is no different than on the road. Its all about SAFETY.

Full_Monte
03-15-2009, 08:10 AM
I agree with PropNuts. I don't trust the government to implement a safety course program without encumbering it with fees, taxes and a bureaucracy to go along with it. California is intrusive enough in our lives without doing more of it. There are a lot of safe boating courses you can take that have nothing to do with the state. The US Coast Guard has them; so does the US Power Squadron. I took two courses from the US Power Squadron and am rated as a "pilot". The pilot course is very rigorous, requiring over 40 hours of study, and emphasizes a lot of navigation and advanced safety issues.

I think that the people who need a boating course the most are the weekend water skiers and jet-skiers who are in love with speed on the water, and sometimes mix boating with drinking. They see boating as a way to let off steam, and put everyone on the lake at risk. They go too fast, come too close to fishing boats and create huge wakes. Out of all people on the water, they are the least likely to voluntarily to take a safe boating course. They should be ticketed and fined, and forced to take a course. But forcing all people to have a license, with fees, taxes and all that goes along with it is tantamount to punishing the many for the sins of the few. We have laws about boating safety on the books to take care of the problems. The issue is that they aren't being enforced enough.

I know this is about Oregon, but politicians are always looking at the other states for more ideas about how to make money for their state.

Bduck
03-15-2009, 08:33 AM
Well said Monte. Its always about not fixing whats broke but to see about about more taxes they can generate.