PDA

View Full Version : Coolers on the Boat

AFDan52
01-31-2009, 08:28 PM
I understand that it is a good idea to keep a cooler in or on the boat to keep the freshly caught Kokanee cold. Courious why, and any particular type?stomperstomper

SuperD
01-31-2009, 09:53 PM
Dan, I think your last flight might have been too high altitude. laugh hyst One that holds ice and keeps things "cool" is my recommendation. Just yanking your chain. Once you have caught and bled your fish, get them on ice but in a bag. Try to keep them from getting wet.

SilverBullets
01-31-2009, 09:56 PM
I use a large igloo cooler, not only to keep food and drinks cold, but to keep the fish on ice. Alot of lakes in the heat of the summer are pretty warm near the surface, and hanging your catch over board not only gives them a bad taste from whats on the surface, but also ruins the meat in my opinion. Alot of kok fisherman go to the extent of bleeding them out before putting them on ice. The cooler is also a good way to store some of your lures made of soft material that could be ruined if left out in the sun, and to store your scents.

AFDan52
01-31-2009, 10:25 PM
What is the procedure for bleeding a Kokanee?

Petty4life
02-01-2009, 04:36 AM
What is the procedure for bleeding a Kokanee?
cut the koke on the underside from gill to gill to bleed out.

Tis always good to have a beer cooler onboard. or in my case its and outboard LOL
http://www.kokaneefishingforum.com/fishing-forums/picture.php?albumid=2&pictureid=529

smokepoles
02-01-2009, 03:31 PM

Tis always good to have a beer cooler onboard. or in my case its and outboard LOL
http://www.kokaneefishingforum.com/fishing-forums/picture.php?albumid=2&pictureid=529

Always knew there was a better use for a swim platform than swimming thumbsup

AFDan52
02-01-2009, 04:04 PM
I'm going to have to take a good look at the back end of my boat, and see if there is a way to mount a cooler on it like Jason's.

bobco
02-01-2009, 06:35 PM
Look at it this way, when the water is 70+ degrees that is like in your house in the summer, would you leave fish laying on your counter all day long? I think not. I use a big white igloo, can put allot of fish in it. If you don't the kokes will get really mushy/soft. I see allot of people draggin around stringers and wire basket in the middle of the summer, no wonder allot of people don't like to eat fish!

bobco
02-01-2009, 06:36 PM

http://www.kokaneefishingforum.com/fishing-forums/picture.php?albumid=2&pictureid=529is that the new rig? looks like your getting it ready!

Petty4life
02-01-2009, 06:43 PM
is that the new rig? looks like your getting it ready!

yes Bobco its the new rig. this is the pic of the ad when i bought. I havent taken any pics since i bought it im waiting till i get all my stuff mounted

Full_Monte
02-01-2009, 08:49 PM
Is it my imagination or does that cooler make your boat list to port a bit on the trailer?

Petty4life
02-01-2009, 08:58 PM
Is it my imagination or does that cooler make your boat list to port a bit on the trailer?

its just youlaugh hyst

Full_Monte
02-01-2009, 10:15 PM
Yeah...you probably have that cooler loaded with all the frozen Kokanee from last season!

Petty4life
02-01-2009, 10:18 PM
Yeah...you probably have that cooler loaded with all the frozen Kokanee from last season!

I wish. i didnt even get a chance to fish out of the boat before it was time to winterize

AFDan52
02-01-2009, 10:31 PM
If I know Jason, that boat will see a lot of Water time this year.

Full_Monte
02-03-2009, 11:45 AM
Petty,

Are those Penn downriggers on the boat? Any reason for choosing that brand?

Petty4life
02-03-2009, 05:25 PM
Petty,

Are those Penn downriggers on the boat? Any reason for choosing that brand?

yes those are penn's and they have been taken off and sold already. my scotty downriggers just came today.

Full_Monte
02-04-2009, 01:23 PM
Did you buy the 1106 Scotty or the 1116?

Petty4life
02-04-2009, 05:34 PM
Did you buy the 1106 Scotty or the 1116?

I was going to get the 1116's but then at the last minute desided i had enough pole holders on the boat and went with the 1106 propack

Kokehead83
02-11-2009, 10:11 AM
To touch on the ice chest, and bleeding your catch. Blood will start to rot you fish from the min it dies so bleading the fish gets the blood out. Then ice the fish down i throw mine in a bag then cover the bag with ice. Also as for having a cooler on board i like my beer cold yes i drink guiness at room temp but everything else cold ice cold. so needless to say there is a lot of ice on the boat when i fish.

Ben

AFDan52
02-11-2009, 11:31 AM
All very good points, Now I just have to figure out where to put on the boat.

Ryno
02-11-2009, 12:42 PM
I understand that it is a good idea to keep a cooler in or on the boat to keep the freshly caught Kokanee cold. Courious why, and any particular type?stomperstomper

Another option for you....... I don't know if you have a livewell or not, but last year I started doing something that worked out really well, especially if you may be limited on space. When the surface temps get warm, say at or above 55F, I noticed the kokes die pretty quick in the livewell. I'm just like everyone else and want to keep my prizes cold and fresh. I freeze up large soda and/or Gatorade bottles and throw them in my livewell before heading out on the lake. I'll put a little water in the well and the ice bottles cool it down pretty quick. It keeps my catch cold and sometimes even alive for the trip back to the cleaning station. Hope it helps, Ryno

AFDan52
02-11-2009, 01:10 PM
Thanks Ryno, I don't have a livewell on this boat , but none the less another great idea. I usually have several bottles of frozen water onboard anyway.

Dropshot
03-10-2009, 12:52 PM
Dan, I think your last flight might have been too high altitude. laugh hyst One that holds ice and keeps things "cool" is my recommendation. Just yanking your chain. Once you have caught and bled your fish, get them on ice but in a bag. Try to keep them from getting wet.

I understand the bleeding but why is it necessary or advisable to keep them dry?

SuperD
03-10-2009, 01:13 PM
It keeps my catch cold and sometimes even alive for the trip back to the cleaning station. Hope it helps, Ryno

Ryno, that is actually a bad thing. Kokes in the livewell while alive, will be stressed. When they are stressed, they release lactic acids which will effect the quality of your meat. Bleed, kill and bag!

I understand the bleeding but why is it necessary or advisable to keep them dry?

Water wil have an adverse effect on the meats firmness.

SuperD
03-10-2009, 01:34 PM
here are a couple pictures I took of a removeable cooler box for my livewell area.

http://img241.imageshack.us/img241/7061/step5kp7.jpg

http://img250.imageshack.us/img250/4937/step8xh6.jpg

DLM
03-10-2009, 04:14 PM
I use three coolers.

One for the fish.
One 6 pack size for my corn and scents. (corn in baby food jars works great.
One 6 pack size with water/lemon joy for washing hands and lures.

redmanjr1
03-11-2009, 10:29 PM
I have a pontoon boat that has a livewell built into the drivers seat (bench seat). While fishing for kokes I use it as a cooler instead of a live well and pack it with ice. I also remove the drain spout so the drain is exposed at the bottom level and my excess water drains as the ice melts. Works pretty good and saves room from packing in another cooler. Never thought about using a bag though. I think I'll try that out also.

Bob

Mojo
07-01-2009, 12:04 AM
I use 4 coolers. 1 for fish, a 120 quart cooler with rod holders mounted on the front deck of my sled. One small "Lunchbox Size" for bait and scents, and 2 for beer. One beer cooler is the good stuff and one is for lawnmower beer. That is the stuff I give to moochers, and also what I drink when hanging out with guys like 3Rvrfisher...thumbsup

3RivrFishr
07-01-2009, 08:55 AM
One beer cooler is the good stuff and one is for lawnmower beer. That is the stuff I give to moochers, and also what I drink when hanging out with guys like 3Rvrfisher...thumbsup

...and i thought you were just a cheap bass turd. :)

Old School
07-01-2009, 11:14 PM
Putting them in a ziplock bag also has an added bonus. Your cooler doesn't get all mucked up with fish slime. I used to have to soap er down after each trip, now I give er a quick rinse and its good to go.

I carry 2 sizes of bags...1 gallon for the little guys...and 2.5 gallon for the slabs!

Old School

DLM
07-02-2009, 12:08 PM
I carry 2 sizes of bags...1 gallon for the little guys...and 2.5 gallon for the slabs!
Old School

Sorry to hear this, in Oregon we have to use hefty garbage bags for our fish.laugh hyst Now I know we will hear from the gorge peanut gallery;)

AFDan52
07-02-2009, 08:48 PM
Oh boy, You've opened a big can of worms now, LMAO.laugh hystlaugh hystlaugh hyst

MMDON
07-10-2009, 12:05 PM
Ryno, that is actually a bad thing. Kokes in the livewell while alive, will be stressed. When they are stressed, they release lactic acids which will effect the quality of your meat. Bleed, kill and bag!

Water wil have an adverse effect on the meats firmness.

+1 I keep a bucket at my feet with water in it. When a fish is caught I immediately tear one gill raker of the fish with the same needle nose pliers I just unhooked the fish with and dump him head first into the bucket to bleed. You don't want to cut all the way across the gills as the heart will stop pumping before the fish has a chance to bleed out. The fish will bleed out in 3 minutes and will be ready for ice. A kokanee that is not in water will not bleed out completely either. As was mentioned do not allow the fish to come in contact with either cooler water nor remain in the bucket or a live well for any length of time. Leaving the fish alive in a live well will produce sour meat from the release of Lactic Acid as Dave has posted. Allowing the fish to come in contact with any water after it is dead will start the decomp process immediately. When filleting a fish it is best if you have a clean surface and a clean knife so the fish requires no rinsing before bagging for the freezer.

Bon Apetite!

MMM

smokin' Kokes
07-11-2009, 04:22 PM
I like to drop netted kokes into a bucket of water after tearing out some gills to bleed the fish. I reset the pole and downrigger, then clean the freshly caught fish. Into a zip lock and into a cooler with block ice which lasts much longer than cubed, several days.

the algae stomach contents, backbone blood sack and skin bacteria start growing and breaking down the fish as soon as they are brought to the surface and hit the warm air/water. best to clean and ice as soon as possible especially on those 75d days and hotter.

see too may stringers of nice koke meat ruined dragging thru 65d+ water in the sun.

JBT
07-13-2009, 02:04 PM
Hi Guys,

This is my first post on this very interesting web site. I was fishing around the pipeline on the Gorge on Saturday, and saw two different boats using fish baskets towed behind their boats to keep their catch in. I would believe that their catch was Kokanee and the surface temps were right around 70 degrees so I believe that their catch was probably poached by the time they started to fillet them.
I carry a cooler full of ice, bleed the fish for a short period by cutting a gill and then bury them in the ice cooler. I think it makes for better table fare than poached Koke.

JBT

DragginBalls
07-14-2009, 08:58 PM
It just blows me away that there are people that don't ice their catch. It all but seems like common sense to me. I just couldn't waste the 18" fish we are catching in Idaho by not icing!!!