PDA

View Full Version : Kokanee's east of the Mississippi

SeaDog
07-09-2008, 09:48 PM
Hello all!
SeaDog from connecticut here.
Yes! We have Kokanee here in the East. Mostly N.Y. and Connecticut and some in Pa.
Not many fishermen target Kokanee's out this way, but enough that the states do keep re-stocking the waters that do have them.
Our Kokes don't get big as yours out west, 20-21 inches is about tops, but they fight like the devil.
We're allowed to night fish for Kokes here in Ct. Mostly still fishing with the boat anchored fore and aft. Lights hung over the side are used to attract the plankton they feed on which in turn attracts the Kokes.
Ultralight and Microlight rods are used and small No. 10-12 hooks are used.

The rig we use is as follows:
Small ball bearing swivel + 18 inches of 4 lb. leader + very small glow bead + No. 10-12 octopus hook.

Also glow in the dark ice fishing lures/jigs.
My favorite is a Red Nils Master with chain and glow-bead/hook combo.
All lures and jigs are tipped with shoepeg corn and/or/with maggots (spikes).
Recently tried Crazy Dust to color and scent my corn and maggots.
Comes in 6 fluorecent colors, is non toxic, and gives the corn or maggots an anise scent. Getting a lot of action with this stuff as the Kokes like the hot colors and the anise scent.
We're allowed 8 fish per day here in Ct. and to date I've averaged about 5 fish per outing.
Happy to join your forum.
Best regards,
SeaDog (Semi-retired unlimited tonnage Captain US Merchant Marine)

Petty4life
07-11-2008, 11:55 AM
Good to have you on here SeaDog. Glad to have someone east of the Rockies. Looking forward to your reportsthumbsup