PDA

View Full Version : HELP: Downrig Stacker Question

kokaine
01-30-2009, 10:05 AM
Help me underdstand something guys in relation to stacking. So I put one line down on the ball and I stack one above it (say using a shuttle hawk or something). A kok hits the top or bottom but what keeps them from tangling at fish on. I can understand why the upper line wouldn't, but what's the key to the bottom. It seems when a fish was to hit it, it would rise and catch the upper line. Does this ever happen? or maybe not, what's key?

How far above is the second line stacked in feet also from the bottom one? Also is one let out farther than the other?

I want to put my second pole permit to use at the Gorge, at least on the Utah side.

Petty4life
01-30-2009, 10:10 AM
when I stacking I put my first line on the ball less then 30ft behing and on the stacked line i put it further back and have that rod pointed out the back of the boat and the deper line pointed to the side of the boat. do tangles happen YES. but i have had very few.

HiTechKoke
01-30-2009, 10:37 AM
Like most things Kokanee there are 50 ways to do it. I run my deep lines in the back and the stacked lines to the side. I don't run the top lines out beyond whatever my bottom lines are positioned (10-20 feet). Keep in mind we are fishing deeper most of the time in Ca. during the heat of the summer. We tend to pull the deep line fish toward the center of the boat whenever possible (of course Kokanee don't always listen....just like the kids. :-) )

We get a few tangles once in a while but my family turns out to be pretty well trained in that initial guidance after picking up the fighting fish, In the end it turns out what you are most comfortable with running.

As for the distance between lines... 10 foot minimum is my rule and usually 12-13 and that can have a significant effect on your tangle ratio. Keep in mind and pay attention what gear you are running because if you have heavier dodgers on top they will drop faster and into the lines below should you mix up your speed and turn a lot. I like to run the heavier bigger dodgers on the deeper lines and the lighter stuff on top.

Fallriverguy
01-30-2009, 12:37 PM
All the above points are all good ones. If my bottom rod gets hit, which I have as my outside rod pointing away from the boat, I try to work the fish to the side of the boat a soon as possible. If the fish comes straight up before I can get control of the fish, then it is impossible to stop a tangle. I have also started running the upper rod with no dodger, or a small one like the Wild Thing.

Digi-Troller
01-30-2009, 01:56 PM
Petty pretty much summed up my setup. I run the top line further back than the bottom too. This may seem counter intuitive, but my reasoning is this. Often, despite our best efforts, the fish that hits our deep rig comes up into our top line. If your top line is closer to the weight, the bottom line will come past, and catch on your terminal tackle. If your top line is further back (like I prefer) then your bottom line will often simply slide past (no terminal tackle to snag it). Both ways work, but that is just my preffered setup based on my own experience.

In addition, like has been mentioned, 10 feet is also my minimum spread... although I prefer 15.

Good topic. Like everything, stacking takes practice. When I first started stacking I went through more tangles than I can count. But now, after many headaches, we see relatively few.

Kokaneemart
01-30-2009, 04:29 PM
A lot of good information in this thread. I stack my downriggers like HighTechKoke does with the lower rod out further and running the bigger dodger (or often a mackinaw lure that looks like a koke!)

I run @ 8 - 10 feet spread unless it is a Mack lure and then I try to go 15 -20 on the spread. One thing that should be mentioned is to let the line down a little slower than normal so the bottom line does not "rise" on descent and pick up your upper offering. Also, be sure to fish well with your partner and go straight (no big "S" turns) until the lines are out. stomper

FishHunter
01-30-2009, 07:28 PM
It sounds like we are all doing a lot of the same things. I like to run the deeper rods out of the back of the boat and the stackers out the sides. I also use a 10 to 12 ft spread between poles.

However, I use a longer set-back on the bottom rods (20 to 30 ft) and a short set-back on the stackers (6 to 8 ft). The reason for this is that I fish a lot by myself and it becomes difficult, especially in early June and mid-August at the Gorge, to keep the boat straight and reel in and net a koke with 2 to 3 foot swells :eek: I have the tendancy to start spinning in circles if I don't shut down the motor stomper This causes the top lines to drop and get tangled with the bottom lines if they are too long.

Also, be sure to fish well with your partner and go straight (no big "S" turns) until the lines are out. stomper

Ric makes a great point. It doesn't take too long before you figure out that turning doesn't work while letting lines out. Oh the messes we can make laugh hyst

AFDan52
01-31-2009, 01:00 AM
I've never used the stacking method as I am somewhat new to Koke fishing , so I am to understand that the upper line should be longer than the lower?